• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Ripple effect of schism: Visits of myrrh-streaming Iveron icon

Reaction score
With ROCOR declaring that it has severed Eucharistic communion with the Patriarchate of Constantinople, does this mean that the miraculous myrrh-streaming of the Hawaiian Iveron icon of the Mother of God will no longer be visiting Greek Orthodox parishes in the USA or of any other eparchy/diocese that is under the omophor of the Ecumenical Patriarch?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
That's interesting. I hope no one is stopped from seeing it.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As the guardian of the Holy Myrrhstreaming Icon says, the Icon goes where she wants it to go.

Reaction score
biro said:
That's interesting. I hope no one is stopped from seeing it.
I don't believe anyone would be stopped from seeing it, but I think that in light of the schism, the Greek Orthodox and other Orthodox parishes under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarch that used to receive visits from the miraculous icon will no longer be able to.

Reaction score
IXOYE said:
As the guardian of the Holy Myrrhstreaming Icon says, the Icon goes where she wants it to go.
I agree. I happen to know Subdeacon Nectarios, a very humble man. The icon is known as the icon of unity in light of the reunion between ROC and ROCOR.

However, since the icon was present for the celebration of Divine Liturgy in many parishes, I personally doubt that Archbishop Kirill of San Francisco would allow the icon to be present for liturgies in parishes that are no longer in union with ROCOR.

For example, the holy icon has visited the Life-Giving Spring Greek Orthodox Monastery in Dunlap, CA for the last few years during the feast of the Dormition. There would be an all-night vigil followed by the morning Liturgy. Since ROCOR and this monastery are now no longer in communion, would the icon still be allowed to visit?

I could be wrong. We'll have to wait and see.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
griego catolico said:
IXOYE said:
I agree. I happen to know Subdeacon Nectarios, a very humble man. The icon is known as the icon of unity in light of the reunion between ROC and ROCOR.

However, since the icon was present for the celebration of Divine Liturgy in many parishes, I personally doubt that Archbishop Kirill of San Francisco would allow the icon to be present for liturgies in parishes that are no longer in union with ROCOR.

For example, the holy icon has visited the Life-Giving Spring Greek Orthodox Monastery in Dunlap, CA for the last few years during the feast of the Dormition. There would be an all-night vigil followed by the morning Liturgy. Since ROCOR and this monastery are now no longer in communion, would the icon still be allowed to visit?

I could be wrong. We'll have to wait and see.
Add more prayers and leave it to the Mother of God and her intercessions.