• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

ROCOR Mandating Belief in Toll-houses?

Ariend

Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.assemblyofbishops.org
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese of North America
This is a rumor I've heard and I'm wondering if it's just something someone threw out there, or if this is something ROCOR is actually doing.
The actual quote (from an Orthodox page on Instagram) is: "I just learned that Rocor synodically banned clerical argumentation on toll houses wtf"

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
This is a rumor I've heard and I'm wondering if it's just something someone threw out there, or if this is something ROCOR is actually doing.
The actual quote (from an Orthodox page on Instagram) is: "I just learned that Rocor synodically banned clerical argumentation on toll houses wtf"
According to what I've read Fr. Lazar Puhalo was making controversial attacks on the toll houses and calling them a blasphemous gnostic heresy, and he and Fr. Seraphim Rose had a battle over this so to speak. The synod ordered fr. Lazar to stop preaching his anti tollhouse doctrine so controversially to try to end the argument that was dividing the Church. This doesn't mean the synod mandated tollhouses but mandated not to make them into a useless disputation with accusations of heresy.

FULK NERA

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
According to what I've read Fr. Lazar Puhalo was making controversial attacks on the toll houses and calling them a blasphemous gnostic heresy, and he and Fr. Seraphim Rose had a battle over this so to speak. The synod ordered fr. Lazar to stop preaching his anti tollhouse doctrine so controversially to try to end the argument that was dividing the Church. This doesn't mean the synod mandated tollhouses but mandated not to make them into a useless disputation with accusations of heresy.
Puhalo hasn’t been a member of ROCOR for decades.

Saxon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
If that is indeed the case then ROCOR would be unilaterally declaring dogma.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
I would think that unless/until something more "official" comes from ROCOR itself, this should probably remain as an unsubstantiated rumor. A quote from some anonymous "Orthodox page on Instagram" hardly qualifies as anything more than that.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
I would think that unless/until something more "official" comes from ROCOR itself, this should probably remain as an unsubstantiated rumor. A quote from some anonymous "Orthodox page on Instagram" hardly qualifies as anything more than that.
There was a synod. Just Google "ROCOR tollhouse synod".

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
There was a synod. Just Google "ROCOR tollhouse synod".
I know. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the OP was referring to something much more recent, though he didn't specify.

I was always under the impression that the matter of the tollhouses was a theologoumenon.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
The toll houses. You dont want to go through that!

Ariend

Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.assemblyofbishops.org
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese of North America
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the OP was referring to something much more recent, though he didn't specify.
I don't even know what the original guy was referring to lol. I was just wondering if something had happened really recently, which it hasn't.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
If that is indeed the case then ROCOR would be unilaterally declaring dogma.
I guess that ROCOR could sometimes practically declare something a mandatory teaching, but it doesn't seem easy to do if there is no Ecumenical Council on a given topic.

I guess that a ROCOR synod could decide that a certain doctrine was so important that if people didn't openly affirm it, then they couldn't go to communion. But this is not generally how Orthodoxy works. Somewhat more realistically, a ROCOR synod could excommunicate anyone who affirmatively taught a certain doctrine or denied another one, but they generally don't do this either. I guess even more realistically the person's spiritual father would want to work with the person on doctrines that the person has trouble with. But more commonly, people seem to get excommunicated for practical reasons that for ideological ones.

The Orthodox world doesn't have a consensus on the toll houses issue, or even on how literally to interpret the toll house teaching. It's more of a theoretical explanation of what happens after death and it's not stated explicitly in the Bible or Ecumenical Councils. I don't even know how common it was for Church fathers to affirm it. So I would expect that ROCOR is not likely to make a synodal statement declaring it orthodox per se.

The 1980 ROCOR synodal decision was:
In the deliberations on life after death one must in general keep in mind that it is not pleased the Lord to reveal to us very much aside from the fact that the degree of a soul's blessedness depends on how much a man's life on the earth has been truly Christian, and the degree of a man's posthumous suffering depends upon the degree of sinfulness. To add conjectures to the little that the Lord has been pleased to reveal to us is not beneficial to our salvation, and all disputes in this domain are now especially detrimental, the more so when they become the object of the discussion of people who have not been fully established in the Faith. Acrid polemic apart from the spirit of mutual love turns such an exchange of opinions from a deliberation into an argument about words. The positive preaching of truths of the Church may be profitable, but not disputes in an area which is not subject to our investigation, but which evokes in the unprepared reader false notions on questions of importance to our salvation.

In view of this, at the present time of the Synod of Bishop's demands the cessation in our magazines of controversy on dogmatic questions and, in particular, on questions concerning life after death. This controversy must be ended on both sides, and Deacon Lev Puhalo is forbidden to lecture in the parishes until he signs a pledge satisfactory to the Synod to terminate his public statements on questions of internal disputes between Orthodox on subjects which may provoke confusion among the faithful.
SOURCE: http://orthodoxinfo.com/death/tollhouse_debate.aspx
So more exactly, the ROCOR synod was implying in fact that Tollhouses are NOT a mandatory teaching in ROCOR, even though they specifically tried to get Dcn./Bp. Puhalo to stop arguing against Tollhouses.