• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

ROCOR WR conference scheduled for 2015

WR-News

Reaction score
http://www.rwrv.org/news_141227_1.html

With the blessing of His Eminence, Metropolitan Hilarion, the ROCOR Western Rite Conference is scheduled for September 28th - October 1st of 2015.

See RWRV directory for current parish and mission situation in the ROCOR Western Rite. Since July 2013, new missions and parishes have been set up, and new clergy ordained. The future is looking good.

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Awesome, my signature *points down* is going to hold up  :laugh:  Just need to get some parishes and monasteries set up in the Pacific Northwest and I'll be golden.

Joseph Hazen

Reaction score
Do you know the content of the conference? I've just found out this isn't that far from me. Is there anything Eastern Seminarians might find interesting?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Joseph Hazen said:
Do you know the content of the conference? I've just found out this isn't that far from me. Is there anything Eastern Seminarians might find interesting?
The seminarians that I've met tend to be nerdy when it comes to liturgics. Keeping that in my mind one would assume that WRO itself was a point of interest.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Alpo said:
Joseph Hazen said:
The seminarians that I've met tend to be nerdy when it comes to liturgics. Keeping that in my mind one would assume that WRO itself was a point of interest.
"Man up and be Orthodox."

Joseph Hazen

Reaction score
Alpo said:
Joseph Hazen said:
I might be mildly, maybe. But I find the seminarians who are nerdy when it comes to liturgics, by that generally mean they are uber concerned about the position one's hands are in when asking for a blessing, whether one has one's enunciation of church Slavonic correct, at which point of the liturgy on Sunday they are to do a full prostration and what qualifies as a valid excuse not to, which way one faces in prayer, the order of censing the icons, the careful preservation of one's exact ethnic church's practices, and other such nonsense. I'm not that kind of seminarian.

I enjoy Western Orthodox practices and am very interested in the movements, trends, general practices, what's going to be happening in it, what's going on with it, how to make it more accessible, fostering unity among the Western Rite, etc. but if the conference is workshops instructing priests on how to hold their hands during the elevation or something I think I'd pass. Or of course if its merely for priests and seminarians can't attend anyway (or Easterners in general), then the question is moo.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Mor Ephrem said:
Alpo said:
Joseph Hazen said:
"Man up and be Orthodox."
That's probably a common sentiment but thou shalt not underestimate the power of nerdiness. They might think it is wrong and silly but WRO offers a whole new possibilities for random nitpicking and historical obscurities that some might be interested to attend the conference anyway.

WR-News

Reaction score
Joseph Hazen said:
The conference is open to anyone who is interested. Current talks are now posted on the RWRV homepage, and will be updated as more are confirmed.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Peacemaker said:
Awesome, my signature *points down* is going to hold up  :laugh:  Just need to get some parishes and monasteries set up in the Pacific Northwest and I'll be golden.
What's wrong with All-Merciful Savior in the Puget?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Yes, the Orthodox Western Rite and other Ancient Liturgies ...

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Volnutt said:
Peacemaker said:
Awesome, my signature *points down* is going to hold up  :laugh:  Just need to get some parishes and monasteries set up in the Pacific Northwest and I'll be golden.
It is actually in the water?

Are they mermaids?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
biro said:
Volnutt said:
Peacemaker said:
It is actually in the water?

Are they mermaids?
Vashon Island is a beautiful place.