• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Romanian Baby Dies after Orthodox Baptism

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
The Orthodox Church in Romania is facing growing pressure to change baptism rituals after a baby died following a ceremony which involves immersing infants three times in holy water.

The six-week-old suffered a cardiac arrest and was rushed to hospital on Monday but he died a few hours later, the autopsy revealing liquid in his lungs. Prosecutors have opened a manslaughter investigation against the priest in the north-eastern city of Suceava.

An online petition calling for changes to the ritual had gathered more than 56,000 signatures by Thursday evening. “The death of a newborn baby because of this practice is a huge tragedy,” said a message with the petition. “This risk must be ruled out for the joy of baptism to triumph.”

One internet user denounced the “brutality” of the ritual and another criticised the “stubbornness of those who think that it is the will of God” to maintain it.

Local media recounted several similar incidents in recent years. Church spokesman Vasile Banescu said priests could pour a little water on the baby’s forehead instead of full immersion. But Archbishop Teodosie, leader of the Church’s traditionalist wing, said the ritual would not change.

More than 80% of Romanians are Orthodox and the Church is one of the most trusted institutions, according to recent opinion polls.
Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ptism-under-fire-in-romania-after-babys-death

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Before we blame the priest, or the Holy Sacrament.... there was this post on Facebook earier today:

I have seen someone has shared the very sad problem with the baby who died in Romania.
I need to clarify a few aspects because I see the social media and The Guardian wrote only lies, to get the church involved in something like this.
1. First of all, baby was a premature baby, born 5 or 6 weeks before the term.
2. The baby was born on 15 Dec 1.8 or so kg, and was connected to all the machines for 3 weeks.
3.parents didn't mention anything to the priest and got the child to be baptised on around the date he was supposed to be born.
4.the baby had underlying problems which is not. Mentioned anywhere.
5. Baby didn't die at church, there is movie taken by the family during the baptism, when baby came out the water baby was crying and he didn't die.
6. Baby died 12 hrs later to hospital because he had liquid on his lungs
7. The major and fatal mistake was that his mother gave baby a bottle of milk minutes before the priest put baby in the baptismal.
8. Social media is lying everywhere and throw the fault on the priest. A big lie and mistake, I am Romanian and I was following this since Sunday.
9. Doctors managed to drain 110ml liquid, pink. It's impossible for a child at 6 weeks old to swallow that amount of liquid in 3.3seconds and baby was out the baptismal too during these 3 seconds.

10. I am a parent too, but when you know your child was a premature and you want to baptise it, you must speak to your doctor, the one who is treating your baby and ask permission for this and also to mention this to the priest. That baby was 3 kg or so. Very little.. However priest didnt know and the doctor either. It is a serious problem to bring a child around the date he was supposed to be born at term with a premature situation and lungs not developed enough to be baptised, or even to go out the house. Poor priest, its not his fault.. Please don't believe The guardian, its a lie

I don't know if it is true or not... but, all these factors should be taken into consideration.

I even have someone messaging me via Facebook and yelling that this is God's doing... that He kills babies... through what we claim to be a holy process of baptism.

All I can say is that I was also a premie. Born over 5 weeks early back before all this modern medicine was available. My baptism was not delayed, but, done asap in case I should die before being baptized. On my third day of life, laying on my godfather's open palm, I was baptized at home because I was so small it was dangerous to take me to church, especially since there was a snowstorm that day. The priest came and baptized me, without fully submerging me, out of care for my tiny body. I survived... and I am baptized.

It is a sad occurance that this baby passed away. I do not know who is at fault.... if anyone. May the child rest in peace, and may it's death be a lesson to all... to slow down, and be more diligent in our actions... and to treasure and safeguard life.

Society is using this instance against the Church... we must not jump on that bandwagon... we must defenct the Christ, the Church, and the Holy Sacraments.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
To be sure, Liza, I'm not making any commentary on the incident, as we have no clue exactly what led to the death, nor about the mechanics of baptisms. I just thought it raised an interesting pointed given the debate between a church official and the Archbishop concerning how baptisms can be conducted.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
To be sure, Liza, I'm not making any commentary on the incident, as we have no clue exactly what led to the death, nor about the mechanics of baptisms. I just thought it raised an interesting pointed given the debate between a church official and the Archbishop concerning how baptisms can be conducted.
I am sorry... I did not mean to infer that you were...

I've just been in loooong discussions elsewhere on this situation... and more than the parents or priest being blamed, people have been putting the blame on God and Church....

With the trend of anti-Christian sentiment lately.... this is just another reason for people to complain against the Church.

Reaction score
Memory eternal. Lord, have mercy!

Praying that the secularist lies be vanquished.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Perhaps they could have used sprinkling for the baptism. Just a thought.

Lord have mercy. Memory eternal.

IreneOlinyk

High Elder
Reaction score
[/B]
This quote from CNN is more informative bout the baptism technique:
The six-week-old baby went into cardio-respiratory arrest on Sunday, after being immersed in a baptismal font three times during his baptism at a church in Suceava, north-eastern Romania, CNN affiliate Antena 3 reported.
The baby was resuscitated by paramedics in the church and was transported to the Intensive Care Unit at Suceava County Hospital, but died after a few hours, Antena 3 said.
Police have opened a culpable homicide investigation, according to Antena 3.
"It is, without a doubt, a tragic case, a case that will have to be investigated. Let's not imagine that a child can be put in water without covering his nose, mouth and ears," Vasile Bănescu, spokesman for the Romanian Patriarchate, told Antena 3 Monday.
"There is a technique that an experienced priest always uses. This is how a baptism is celebrated with the utmost care ", Bănescu added.

This article in Romanian can be seen on Chrome in English with Google translate:
https://www.antena3.ro/actualitate/...ita-posibil-schimbare-ips-calinic-592858.html quotes His Eminence Calinic, Archbishop of Argeş and member of the Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church regrading different tradition:
The high hierarch told how, when he was a country priest in Transylvania, the custom was to sprinkle the baby on his head, according to adevarul.ro.
"The cupped palms were used, the holy water for baptism being poured over the baby's head," says His Eminence Calinic, who adds that after a while, for fear of an accident, he thought it best to sink the child until to the neck in the water of the baptismal font, after which holy water is poured abundantly over the baby's head.
Calinic baptized Prince Nicholas' daughter last month. He only submerged the child with his feet in the baptismal font and watered his head a little.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Memory eternal.
Lord, have mercy.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Memory eternal for the newly illumined servant of God!

Some Protestant parish registers from 19th century America note "died of Baptism" at the death of infants and young children, particularly during the winter months.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Memory eternal for the newly illumined servant of God!

Some Protestant parish registers from 19th century America note "died of Baptism" at the death of infants and young children, particularly during the winter months.
Some Protestant sects' logic: