• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Romanian Bishop May Be Excommunicated for Catholic Communion

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=59019

Romanian Orthodox prelate threatened with excommunication for sharing Communion

Bucharest, Jun. 11, 2008 (CWNews.com) - The Orthodox prelate who shared Communion with Catholics at an Eastern-rite liturgical service in May now could face excommunication from the Romanian Orthodox Church.

Orthodox Metropolitan Nicolae Corneanu of Banat joined Romanian Catholic Bishop Alexandru Mesian of Lugoj at the altar on May 25, sharing the Eucharist with the Catholic prelate. His action outraged some Orthodox believers, and the Romanian Orthodox synod announced that Metropolitan Corneanu "may be asked to give an appropriate explanation" at a synod meeting in July.

Now another Romanian Orthodox leader, Metropolitan Bartolomeu of Cluj, has introduced a move to excommunicate Metropolitan Corneanu. That proposal will be discussed at the orthodox Synod meeting in early July.

The move to excommunicate Metropolitan Corneanu has inflamed new hostility toward Catholics-- and especially Eastern-rite Romanian Catholics-- among Orthodox hard-liners who regard any association with Catholics as suspicious. Critics have also raised heresy charges against the Orthodox Bishop Sofronie of Oradea, who participated in an ecumenical blessing-of-the-water service in January, on the feast of the Baptism of Christ, with his Romanian Catholic counterpart.

Metropolitan Corneanu has said that he does not regret joining Catholic bishops in the Divine Liturgy. But the Orthodox prelate has rejected the idea that he is likely to become a Catholic, saying that he is loyal to the Orthodox Church and will accept the consequences of his actions.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
^ GOOD NEWS!  Thanks for the update.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
^^ That would be one publicly known Excommunication if the Holy Synod of the Church of Romania makes that decision.

Milliardo

Reaction score
After what he had done, I am touched by his humility and his loyalty to the Church, as well as his readiness to face whatever consequences of what he did. I still find it strange though why he did it in the first place, even after knowing that he might most likely be deposed and/or excommunicated.

A Sombra

Reaction score
Not to worry- I am sure the Romanian Greek Catholics (or is it just Romanian Catholics? Or Romanian Eastern Catholics? Whatever....) will have a spot for him ....

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Just as an FYI for those who haven't been following the discussion, the event that is leading to the above story is discussed in the following thread:

"Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan Receives Holy Communion from Catholic Bishop"
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16155.0.html

Apotheoun

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
The action of Met. Corneanu in taking communion at a Catholic liturgy no doubt causes confusion among both Orthodox and Catholics.

I am an Eastern Catholic and I have attended Orthodox liturgies, but I would never presume to take holy communion.

welkodox

Archon
Reaction score
My understanding is excommunication does not mean removal from the church, but prohibition from receiving communion.

Matrona

High Elder
Reaction score
Irish Hermit said:
http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=59019

Romanian Orthodox prelate threatened with excommunication for sharing Communion

Bucharest, Jun. 11, 2008 (CWNews.com) - The Orthodox prelate who shared Communion with Catholics at an Eastern-rite liturgical service in May now could face excommunication from the Romanian Orthodox Church.

Orthodox Metropolitan Nicolae Corneanu of Banat joined Romanian Catholic Bishop Alexandru Mesian of Lugoj at the altar on May 25, sharing the Eucharist with the Catholic prelate. His action outraged some Orthodox believers, and the Romanian Orthodox synod announced that Metropolitan Corneanu "may be asked to give an appropriate explanation" at a synod meeting in July.

Now another Romanian Orthodox leader, Metropolitan Bartolomeu of Cluj, has introduced a move to excommunicate Metropolitan Corneanu. That proposal will be discussed at the orthodox Synod meeting in early July.

The move to excommunicate Metropolitan Corneanu has inflamed new hostility toward Catholics-- and especially Eastern-rite Romanian Catholics-- among Orthodox hard-liners who regard any association with Catholics as suspicious. Critics have also raised heresy charges against the Orthodox Bishop Sofronie of Oradea, who participated in an ecumenical blessing-of-the-water service in January, on the feast of the Baptism of Christ, with his Romanian Catholic counterpart.
Thanks be to God.  That's very encouraging.

Metropolitan Corneanu has said that he does not regret joining Catholic bishops in the Divine Liturgy. But the Orthodox prelate has rejected the idea that he is likely to become a Catholic, saying that he is loyal to the Orthodox Church and will accept the consequences of his actions.
Of course he can accept it... because if the Church excommunicates him, he already knows he can always go to the Catholics for communion. ::) 

I hope that whatever punishment he receives he will be moved to repentance and reconciliation with the Orthodox faith.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
The title of this thread is just  misleading: Who's threatening HE Nicolae with excommunication? The Synod as a whole? No. A majority of the Synod? No. Who, then? Just another Metropolitan. Let's remember that Metropolitan Bartolomeu is the big  loser in the last patriarchal elections. He represents a very nationalistic and somehow anti-ecumenist brand of Orthodoxy while HB Daniel was elected exactly by the more moderate and ecumenically minded majority of the Synod.  HE Nicolae is the one that made Daniel a bishop right in the early '90 and the relationship between the two has always been very good, as opposed to the relationship between Daniel and Bartolomeu.
I think that HE Nicolae might step down from his see and that's gonna be it.
The same Bartolomeu also proposed the deposition of HG Sofronie of Oradea, because, on the last Theophany, the latter con-celebrated the Blessing of the Waters ( of the local river, more exactly) with the Greek Catholic bishop of Oradea.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
AMM said:
My understanding is excommunication does not mean removal from the church, but prohibition from receiving communion.
But if one's membership in the Church is defined by participation in the Eucharist, then prohibition from receiving Communion IS expulsion from the Church.  The question then becomes what level of penance is required for reinstatement.

arimethea

Archon
Reaction score
There are different levels of excommunication...

You can be denied the sacraments for a certain period of time but still allowed to attend the service.
You can be denied the sacraments and denied entry into the temple.
You can be removed from all aspects of the life of the church.
If you are a clergy man you can be removed from the ranks of the clergy but still allowed to participate in the life of the church.
In some cases because of multiple offenses a clergy man can be removed from his rank and denied the sacraments.

A Sombra

Reaction score
QUOTE: But the Orthodox prelate has rejected the idea that he is likely to become a Catholic, saying that he is loyal to the Orthodox Church and will accept the consequences of his actions.

If he was truly loyal to the Orthodox Church, he wouldn't have asked to "share" communion...

And, to Apotheoun: As you are Greek Catholic, perhaps you are unaware of this, but Orthodox Christians do not address clergy, but most especially Bishops, by their last names. I know that both Roman and Greek Catholics DO, which is why I say you might not be aware of that. At most, again, especially if a Bishop (or any monk, actually) is being mentioned, it would be written such: Metropolitan Nicolae (Corneanu).

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Hmmm.

Obviously I'm not joining the dogpile that's high on the idea of administering some Koranic-style justice to the Metropolitan of Banat.

That said...

This is a one-off like Mar Bawai Soro and most of his former Assyrian diocese converting themselves to Rome.

It doesn't represent the Eastern church in question, something some Roman Catholic observers don't understand.

What he did makes no sense in Orthodox theology and he disobeyed his church. It was a mistake.

Now it's between him and his brother bishops of the Romanian Church.

Some punishment would not be inappropriate. But it's up to them.

I understand the Roman Catholic view: they don't tell Orthodox to disobey their church but if one does, there's no Roman Catholic objection to communing him.

And...

There's precedent for this intercommunion not only in the Orthodox world, especially among the laity in the Middle East and both clergy and laity on the Greek islands before 1700, but specifically in Romania. I've been told - by Greek Catholics - that right before World War II Greek Catholics were a substantial minority there, about 20 per cent of the population, and relations by then with the Orthodox majority were so friendly that in a village the Orthodox priest would be the Greek Catholic priest's wife's confessor and vice versa.

Not to excuse what Met. Nicolae did but just giving some possible context.

So because of that history his punishment may well be mild. Perhaps early retirement.

Normally Orthodox clergy don't go by their last names, especially not bishops as they usually are monks, but I've been told that's not true among Arabs, for whom 'Bishop Lastname' is perfectly normal.

As the metropolitan is Romanian he's Met. Nicolae (Corneanu) not Met. Corneanu as A Sombra rightly said.

The Roman Catholic and secular media are often ignorant about that.

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
cwnews said:
The move to excommunicate Metropolitan Corneanu has inflamed new hostility toward Catholics-- and especially Eastern-rite Romanian Catholics-- among Orthodox hard-liners who regard any association with Catholics as suspicious.
I realise this is a Catholic source, but I think this is a bit unfair.
To say that it is the "Orthodox hard-liners" who mainly object to Orthodox Bishops Communing with Catholics shows a misunderstanding of Orthodox understanding of the Eucharist. Do Catholics view Holy Communion as a mere act of "association", somewhat akin to an Evangelical "fellowship meeting"? Is it only Catholic "hard-liners" who consider the Eucharist to be a sign of Unity?

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Archdiocese of Philadelphia
It says Orthodox hard-liners object to any contact with Roman Catholics, not just Communion with them.

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
The young fogey said:
It says Orthodox hard-liners object to any contact with Roman Catholics, not just Communion with them.
I know, but we are not talking about "any" contact in this particular case. At any rate, I wonder how such a thing could be measured? What evidence does cwnews have of "new hostility towards Catholics especially among Orthodox hard-liners"?
This sounds like an editorial rather than "news"

A Sombra

Reaction score
All they need to do is access the internet?

Oh, yes, the internet is such a wonderful and reliable barometer of what is happening within Orthodoxy, isn't it?

Some Old Believers were proscribed from eating, or even speaking with non-Old Believers. Things just aren't like they used to, are they?

I can imagine a lot of Russian Orthodox people never having contact with Catholics-not too many Catholics in Birobidjan, or, say, Zaraysk, Karymsky, Paratunka, Palana, or Termalny . . .  or NyetaKafolikastan!

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
Metropolitan Nicolae is no longer mentioned at liturgy in our parish church as our bishop. 

A Sombra

Reaction score
Quote: "Metropolitan Nicolae is no longer mentioned at liturgy in our parish church as our bishop."

Romaios, do you know if this was something ordered from above, or a decision of your parish priest, or?  

Which Bishop is mentioned during the Services?

Do you have any information about other parishes in your Diocese?

And, finally, do you have any knowledge of any reaction to Metropolitan Nicolae's "Catholic Communion" by Romanian Monasteries?

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
It was the decision of our priest, who only mentioned Patriarch Daniel and the vicar bishop of Timişoara, HG Paisie, at Mass last Sunday. I do not know how many other priests in the eparchy have ceased to pray for him in church.

The Romanian monks from Mount Athos reacted, as well as other respected elders from Romanian monasteries (Fr. Justin Pârvu, for instance): they signed a petition asking the Synod to depose Met. Nicolae.

There are others (mostly laymen), though, who support the bishop enthusiastically and applauded him in the cathedral after he explained his gesture. 

A Sombra

Reaction score
quote: "The same Bartolomeu also proposed the deposition of HG Sofronie of Oradea, because, on the last Theophany, the latter con-celebrated the Blessing of the Waters ( of the local river, more exactly) with the Greek Catholic bishop of Oradea."

That would have been a serious canonical violation which would have called for Bishop Sofronie to be deposed:
"the Tenth Apostolic Canon, which  says: “If anyone prays, even in a private house, with one who has been  excommunicated, let him also be excommunicated.” Now, heretics are  par excellence excommunicates and excommunicated ... From among the multitude of Patristic assessments of this matter,  we will mention what St. Symeon of Thessalonica, the Mystagogue,  says in his codification of Orthodox belief in the fifteenth century. He includes Latin theology among the heresies, in the section  “Against Heresies” of his work entitled Dialogue, and opines that Latin  theology has caused greater damage to the Church than all other  heresies  and  schisms  together ... IN CONCLUSION, as an epilogue, we will cite in its entirety the text of  the “Interpretation” of the Forty-fifth Canon of the Holy Apostles  and also the “Concord” of the Canon in question with other Canons— both of them products of the pen of St. Nicodemos—, if for no other  purpose than to cure the theological and canonical ignorance of those  who are less educated. Interpretation: The present Canon decrees that any Bishop,  or Presbyter, or Deacon who merely joins in prayer with heretics,  even if he has not concelebrated with them, should be excommunicated. For, anyone who prays with excommunicated persons (as  heretics are) should himself be excommunicated along with them,  according to the Tenth Canon of the same Apostles. But if he has  allowed these heretics to perform any service, as clergymen, let  him be deposed. For, any clergyman who concelebrates with those  who have been deposed (as heretics are, according to the Second  and Fourth Canons of the Third Œcumenical Synod), is himself  to be deposed, according to the Eleventh Canon of the Apostles.  We should abhor and shun heretics and never pray with them or  permit them to perform any ecclesiastical function, either as clergy  or as priests.Concord: The Sixty-fifth Apostolic Canon says that anyone  who enters a congregation of heretics in order to pray, if he is a  clergyman, is to be deposed; but if he is a layman, is to be excommunicated. The Synod of Laodicæa, in its Sixth Canon, does not  allow heretics to enter a Church, and in its Thirty-second it says  that one should not receive blessings from heretics, which are  absurdities [élog¤ai], and not blessings [eÈlog¤ai]; and, according to its Thirty-third Canon, one should not pray with heretics  or schismatics. Its Thirty-fourth Canon anathematizes those who  forsake the Martyrs of Christ and go to the pseudo-martyrs of  the heretics. The Ninth Canon of St. Timothy does not permit  heretics to be present at the time of the Divine Liturgy, unless they  promise to repent and abandon their heresy. Moreover, the Ninth  Canon  of  the  Synod  of  Laodicæa  excommunicates  Christians  who go to the cemeteries or martyria of heretics in order to pray  or for the sake of healing those of them who are ill. Neither should  any Christian celebrate feasts together with heretics or accept gifts  sent to him by them on their feast days, according to the Thirtyseventh Canon of the same Synod of Laodicæa."
"What Synod Will Enforce Adherence to the Canons?" by Protopresbyter Theodore Zissis (Professor of the Theological School of the Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki-"one of the foremost theologians and professors in Greece" a priest of the Church of Greece, not an Old Calendarist priest)
www.synodinresistance.org/ Theology_en/E3b1a009bSymproseyxhB.pdf

quote: "Let's remember that Metropolitan Bartolomeu is the big  loser in the last patriarchal elections. He represents a very nationalistic and somehow anti-ecumenist brand of Orthodoxy ..."

I see that it is no longer only the Old Calendarists who are reserved for condemnation ... I would not think that ANY Orthodox Hierarch would consider being a "big loser" for not being elected Patriarch...nor would ANY Orthodox Hierarch consider one who was not elected Patirarch a "big loser." I thought disresepect towards Orthodox Hierarchs was forbidden on this Forum...apparently it depends who is doing the disrespecting...and aren't we supposed to use titles, and not "mere names?" Or don't Hierarchs who are deemed "big losers," "nationalistic," and "somehow anti-ecumenist" deserve the same consideration His All Holiness?

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
I do not think that's up to a parish priest alone , before the Synod has judged the case, to decide whom to commemorate or not as a bishop at the Liturgy.
I can only see an excess of and misplaced  zeal in what that priest did.
Fr. Iustin Parvu is not even a bishop, let alone a Synod.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Mr. Sombra,
I bet you have no idea of what an ambitious man Metropolitan Bartolomeu is: he recently (2005) divided the Transylvanian "Mitropolia" iin two very unequal halves, just because he or one of his allies (Archbishop Andrei of Alba Iulia) wasn't elected Metropolitan. So, after the election of HE Laurentiu Streza, he took most of the canonical territory of the "Mitropolia Transilvaniei" and made up a new "mitropolia" for himself.
I am a Romanian and know better politics of the Romanian Church than you, I assume.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
I do not think that's up to a parish priest alone , before the Synod has judged the case, to decide whom to commemorate or not as a bishop at the Liturgy.
I can only see an excess of and misplaced  zeal in what that priest did.
A priest has the right not to commemorate his bishop in case he is under suspicion of heresy, even before he be judged by a Synod. Moreover, our priest did not react out of mere zeal: he continued to commemorate Met. Nicolae, who initially denied what he had done, until he publicly admited to it and declared that he has no regret for the gesture itself.

A Sombra

Reaction score
quote: Fr. Iustin Parvu is not even a bishop, let alone a Synod.

augustin717, I do not believe anyone mentioned that Father Iustin Parvu is a Bishop or a Synod. All that was mentioned is that Father Iustin Parvu is a respectred elder who signed a petition asking that Metropolitan Nicolae be deposed. That is all that was mentioned.

quote: "Mr. Sombra,
I bet you have no idea of what an ambitious man Metropolitan Bartolomeu is: he recently (2005) divided the Transylvanian "Mitropolia" iin two very unequal halves ..." And ou are also correct in assuming that you know the politics of the Romanian Church better than I. Again, in all honesty, I do not think there are too many Orthodox people in the world who know LESS about Romanian Church politics than I do! Since ou are Romanian, do you know where I could obtain some good biographical material on Metropolitan Visarion (Puiu), and most especially, some photos of Metropolitan Visarion? I would be forever grateful . . .

augustin717, you are certainly right! To be honest, I really have no knowledge about Metropolitan Bartolomeu at all, but was merely commenting on the basic indifference on this Forum to its own rules concerning how Hierarchs are to be addressed when the Hierarch in question is not an ecumenist under Constantinople ... I say this facetiously; well, about half facetiously ...

Possibly, the Parish Priest was not so far off the track when he ceased commemoration of Metropolitan Nicolae-many of these Canons mention that the personj violating them effectively "depose themselves" by their act. If that was the case in this situation, the Metropolitan would have been "self-deposed," which according to how the Canons read, and how I have had them explained, "deposed" is "deposed"-no further action is a dire necessity. Also,if thisd were the case with this situation, I do not imagine commemorating a deposed Hierarch would be without Canonical penalties. The Parish Priest should bne given the benefit of the doubt. I do not feel I would be sticking my neck out to suppose that this Parish Priest is prbably more knowledgable about the Canons, and what actions to take in such a situation as this,  than most of us on this Forum.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
The Romanian Catholic Church, an Eastern rite, has defended an Orthodox archbishop who faces sanctions for receiving Communion at an Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy.

"This man of humanism, dignity and dialogue has helped create excellent Catholic-Orthodox ties in our region," said Bishop Alexandru Mesian of Lugoj, Romania. "He wishes to be in communion with other Christians and we've welcomed his unprecedented, progressive gesture with great joy. We are sad he's now being attacked with such ferocity for it."

Bishop Mesian said Orthodox laypeople regularly go to confession and receive Communion at Eastern Catholic churches in Romania.

Orthodox Metropolitan Nicolae Corneanu of Banat, a region of Eastern Europe partly in Romania, will appear before Romanian Orthodox leaders in July to explain why he received Communion during the dedication of an Eastern Catholic church in late May...
You can read the rest of the story at this location.

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Here is an update to the story with the possible defrocking of the hierarch:

Ecumenical News International News Highlights
27 June 2008

Orthodox prelate rebuked for receiving Catholic communion

Warsaw (ENI). A senior Romanian Orthodox archbishop faces possible
defrocking for receiving Holy Communion during a Catholic service. "Orthodox
and Roman Catholic churches have a theological dialogue, and such actions
can only discourage this," said Constantin Stoica, a spokesperson for the
Bucharest patriarchate of the Romanian Orthodox Church. Metropolitan Nicolae
Corneanu of Banat is to face his church's governing Holy Synod in July to
explain why he received Communion during the dedication of a new Greek
Catholic parish church in Romania. [414 words, ENI-08-0506]

ENI Online - www.eni.ch

Ecumenical News International
PO Box 2100
CH - 1211 Geneva 2
Switzerland

Tel: (41-22) 791 6088/6111
Fax: (41-22) 788 7244

Thomas

Archon
Reaction score
The latest update that was recently sent to me from another  forum group I participate in:

Romanian Orthodox synod disciplines bishop for intercommunion with Catholics
Original article source: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=13197

Bucharest, Jul 11, 2008 / 06:03 am (CNA).- The Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church has decided to "forgive" two Orthodox bishops for their participation in religious rites with Eastern Catholics. However, it warned that no Orthodox cleric may celebrate sacraments or blessings with ministers of other religions on pain of
excommunication.

Nicolae Corneanu, the Orthodox Metropolitan Bishop of Banat, had provoked controversy after receiving Holy Communion during a Greek Catholic Mass in Timisoara on May 25. The synod's forgiveness has reportedly settled the controversy, according to the SIR News Agency.

"The Holy Eucharist is not a means and a stage towards the unity of the Christian Church, but the deepest manifestation of the unity of the Church, its highlight," stated Patriarch Daniel of the Romanian Orthodox Church in a speech to the synod.

Patriarch Daniel reportedly intended to reassert the fundamental principle of Orthodox ecclesiology and ecumenism. He said that such gestures of "so-called inter-communion" in fact "reduce the dogmatic
differences between the Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church and undermine the unity of faith as the foundation of the reconstruction of the communion between the two Churches."

The Patriarch reiterated that it is forbidden for Orthodox believers to receive the Eucharist in a different Church.my emphasis

He also said the decision does not intend to treat other Christians "with arrogance or contempt" or to interrupt theological dialogue.

"Through a sincere, deep theological dialogue, the dogmas that separate the Catholic Church from the Orthodox Church can be redefined," he concluded.

Father Francisc Dobos, spokesman for the Catholic Archdiocese of Bucharest, responded to the decision, saying in a press release, "We believe it is right for every Church to solve its own problems according to its own principles and regulations. We are convinced that the dialogue between the two Churches will move on, towards a
communion from the same chalice."

The Romanian synod also "forgave" Bishop Sofronie of Oradea, another Orthodox prelate, who had celebrated the blessing of holy water with the Greek Catholic Bishop of Oradea, Virgil Bercea, on "Twelfth Night," the evening of Epiphany.

"The Holy Synod disapproved of the non-canonical gestures made by the two leaders and accepted their change of mind and repentance as a first sign of their correction," read a press release from the Romanian Orthodox Patriarchate.

Thomas

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
^ The article demonstrates a perfect example of Economia as practiced by Patriarch Daniel and the Holy Synod in not Excommunicating both Metropolitans while maintaining the threat of Excommunication for those who believe that Unity solely occurs via the Communion Chalice.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
During this Metropolitan's repentance, will he be temporarily relieved of his administrative/priestly responsibilities? 

I find this to be very disturbing.  This isn't oikonomia. The actions taken by this Metropolitan were in direct violation to the canons of the Holy Orthodox Church.  He knew what he was doing.  If this kind of cavalier attitude will just be forgiven, why not simply just accept the Eastern Catholics as Orthodox and begin clergy exchange and the concelebration of the Eucharist.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
The Metropolitan is 86 years old and should have been "retired" if He hadn't repented for the error of His ways.  By remaining active, the Metropolitan can serve the Liturgy and receive the benefits befitting a Hierarch.  If He errs again, the consequences will be more severe.

Heracleides

Elder
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
The Metropolitan is 86 years old and should have been "retired" if He hadn't repented for the error of His ways.  By remaining active, the Metropolitan can serve the Liturgy and receive the benefits befitting a Hierarch.  If He errs again, the consequences will be more severe.
Maybe the Eastern Catholic Sisters of St. Basil can rap his knuckles with a ruler next time.  Such action would definitely be a step up in terms of severity. ::)

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Heracleides said:
Maybe the Eastern Catholic Sisters of St. Basil can rap his knuckles with a ruler next time.  Would definitely be a step up in severity ::)
Spare the Rod, Spoil the Hierarch?  ;)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
SolEX01 said:
Spare the Rod, Spoil the Hierarch?   ;) 
Hardly.  Don't clamor for punishments too hard in this life, to be added to the judgment we all will face in the next.  I don't envy him one bit - the clergy face a stiffer judgment than we, and the hierarchs (who stand in the place and are the type of Christ Himself, who are successors of the Apostles, who are charged with the salvation of all the souls in their flock - entrusted to their care) even more so.  Pray for his soul, not his condemnation; the judgment that awaits him and us all is terrible enough to endure.

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Old Calendarist
One of the points of deposing someone is so they will repent now and not face as terrible of a judgment on the final day.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
cleveland said:
Pray for his soul, not his condemnation; the judgment that awaits him and us all is terrible enough to endure.
I was responding in kind to a humorous remark made by Heracleides;)

We all know Christ told the sinful woman to go and sin no more when her accusers were dispersed - sounds like the same disposition administered by Patriarch Daniel to the erring Metropolitans.  Clearly, if They err again, They deserve to be deposed and sent to Monastery (maybe of their choice - Orthodox or Catholic, lol).  ;D