• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Romanian Orthodox movie "The Second Coming of Christ"

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Daniel Anghelchev produced the movie The Second Coming of Christ (2017/2018) with a Romanian Orthodox background theme. It shows part of a Romanian liturgy (in English), a discussion on the Theotokos' ikon, feeding the hungry at a Romanian church, and praying in church several times.

It can be found on Youtube under the title Movie: The second coming of christ || hd movie 2018

The movie has a scene where the people speak only Romanian at about 40 minutes into the film. May I please ask what the people say in the scene?

Here is my review of a few interesting issues. (SPOILER ALERT.)
The film tells the story of how a scientist (Diana Angelson, who is also Romanian Orthodox) rescues an orphan from a Chinese "Dying Room", but the baby dies in her arms. So she says that she will give her soul (whether it's to the Devil or the AntiChrist isn't clear) for the baby to come back to life. The baby then revives and the anti-Christ shows up to meet her.

The scientist genetically modifies bees to make them immortal and to pass on their DNA of immortality onto the plants that they help fertilize. The process is supposed to start a chain that passes on a DNA strand that will make the plants and humans of the world immortal. She says that bees will be the new god. She seems to be an atheist because of trauma she experienced, and she reasons later in the movie when her adopted daughter dies again that God would not have let the daughter die, concluding that therefore He must not exist.

Preacher John is a hero in the movie who used research to cure cancer. But he questions the wisdom of using science to gain immortality, asking whether immortality from genes will make people nicer. At the end of the movie she rejects the antiChrist because his invention caused a plague as a side effect, and she accepts Jesus successfully even though earlier she pledged her soul to the dark. The film raises an interesting question about the potential downsides of living forever on earth in its corrupt state.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovsky said:
Preacher John is a hero in the movie who used research to cure cancer. But he questions the wisdom of using science to gain immortality, asking whether immortality from genes will make people nicer. At the end of the movie she rejects the antiChrist because his invention caused a plague as a side effect, and she accepts Jesus successfully even though earlier she pledged her soul to the dark. The film raises an interesting question about the potential downsides of living forever on earth in its corrupt state.
Correction:
Preacher John cured cancer. ...
Beatrix, the scientist working on bees, accepted Jesus at the end.

LucianNae

Reaction score
The movie has a scene where the people speak only Romanian at about 40 minutes into the film. May I please ask what the people say in the scene?
Assuming this is the movie you are referring to (
), I want to inform you that, at about 40 minutes into the film, there's an indecent kissing scene that I would have rather not watched. I skimmed through the movie and I didn't come across any scene where they speak Romanian. I do not currently have the patience to watch the entire movie, so I would like to ask you to be more precise in regards to the time at which the scene in question is, so that I may translate what the actors are saying. I am a native Romanian speaker.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Right at 41:43, but in the video you posted, it is subtitled.

Christian movies suck.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
I do not currently have the patience to watch the entire movie, so I would like to ask you to be more precise in regards to the time at which the scene in question is, so that I may translate what the actors are saying. I am a native Romanian speaker.
Thanks for posting the subtitled version. The significance in that part turns out to be that the priest says in Romanian that we are living in "the End Times." This manner of speech sometimes shows up in the NT epistles.

The Biblical and movie's uses of phrases like End Times and Last Days brings up an issue of interpreting the chronological meaning of End Times prophecies, eg. Preterism. In the movie, the context of the destructive extreme global events like crops dying and the qualities of the Antichrist figure suggest that the priest is specifically referring to events in his time as being specific literal End Times events.

Today there can be an urge to say that in contrast, when the NT Epistles said that they were in the last days, they meant it in some metaphorical,, general, or spirituality sense, because the world did not literally end in the days of the first century. This is because the literal term "last days" would tend to imply that the days left before Jesus returns in power like when he Ascended could be counted in days or years, as opposed to centuries. So for instance if Christ returned in that manner 500 million days after His Ascension,, that number of literal days might still be counted or estimated. But to say that the 1st century writers were literally living in the last days connotates in normal parlance more a period of 100 days or 1000 days or even a century. But Jesus did not literally descend to the apostles or early Christians in power by making a visible descent like in Acts, unless you count His visit to John in Revelation 1 on Patmos. So there are different ways to explain the usage of phrases like End Times and Last Days in the NT vs. as the priest uses it in the movie.

One way to try to explain it is to suggest that the NT writers meant it in a literal sense of less than a century, based on the world's literal continuation, whereas the priest did literally mean it as less than a century based on the devastating global context. Another answer could be that they both meant the phrase in a spiritual or metaphorical sense, but in the priest's case, the events were literally happening in his time. Another explanation is that the events also happened in the apostles' time, maybe because they could be a cyclical type of series of events.