Rome to US Eastern Catholics: New Priests Should “Embrace Celibacy”

Reaction score
I recognize this topic has been active for a while, but there are two married deacons in my Eparchy who are going to be ordained next summer. We only have one married priest in the Eparchy (Father Francis from Sacramento), but he is Slovak ethnically, so he is an import.

We'll see what happens, though.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
WetCatechumen said:
I recognize this topic has been active for a while, but there are two married deacons in my Eparchy who are going to be ordained next summer. We only have one married priest in the Eparchy (Father Francis from Sacramento), but he is Slovak ethnically, so he is an import.

We'll see what happens, though.
Your Bishop is a vocation from Holy Spirit BCC in Binghamton, NY - which today has a married priest and family (from Slovakia). He had many relatives at our next door Orthodox parish as well. Let us pray he follows through with the ordinations.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I'm actually slightly in favor of clerical celibacy because it seems like the priesthood is one of those jobs that almost requires a workaholic (especially if you're one of those Orthodox who wants the priest to be everyone in the parish's personal life coach). It can't be good for the family to have dad preoccupied with work all the time. And it seems like the children of clergy tend to grow up a bit screwy in all denominations.

Just saying, I can see where the Pope is coming from on the issue.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
So apparently nothing came out of cardinal's comment?

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Alpo said:
So apparently nothing came out of cardinal's comment?
Yeah..Rome rescinded the eighty year ban on ordaining married men as  enforced under "Cum data Fuerit" in the fall of 2014, actually admitting it was a mistake. In April of this year the first married candidate for the priesthood in the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh since 1928 was ordained. So apparently SOMETHING came out of his comment.