• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Romfea: Primates gathering in Cyprus to discuss Ukraine

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Romfea reports that the patriarchs of Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem are meeting, together with the Archbishop of Cyprus, at the latter's invitation, to discuss the various issues regarding Ukraine. They're expected to release a joint statement later.

Of course one has to hope that Jerusalem and Antioch will be able to resolve their own ongoing dispute.

https://www.romfea.news/meeting-of-primates-in-cyprus-about-ukraine/

Mercurius1

Reaction score
Glad to see the ancient patriarchates are getting together to discuss. Really curious what my own patriarch (Antioch) has to further say about the situation.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Actually, they meet quite regularly, as these 4 Churches are Orthodox family in The Middle East Council of Churches
[I've just had lesson about it yesterday, with people involved into work of this organisation].
So, I doubt the Ukraine issue was the reason of the gathering: rather, the gathering is a good occassion to discuss it.

Samn!

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The communique made it clear that the meeting was held at the initiative of the Archbishop of Cyprus and it seems for all intents and purposes to have been specifically about Ukraine and Qatar, though without any breakthroughs on either. The first bilateral talks over Qatar in years-- the first serious talks, I believe, since the failed ones brokered by the EP and the Greek MFA in 2013-- is an achievement in itself, though.

IreneOlinyk

High Elder
Reaction score
Dominika said:
Actually, they meet quite regularly, as these 4 Churches are Orthodox family in The Middle East Council of Churches
[I've just had lesson about it yesterday, with people involved into work of this organisation].
So, I doubt the Ukraine issue was the reason of the gathering: rather, the gathering is a good occassion to discuss it.
I have to agree with Dominika above.  Especially now that we have an official statement:
https://www.antiochpatriarchate.org/en/page/statement-meeting-of-the-primates-of-the-orthodox-churches-in-the-middle-east/2152/

The original artical in Romfea was misleading.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The communique is pretty bland, as I suppose one should expect. I am curious about Archbishop Chrysostomos' "personal initiative of mediation." Is this a reference to specific steps that will be taken (e.g. convoking a wider gathering) or just general behind-the-scenes stuff with occasional public statements?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Samn! said:
The communique made it clear that the meeting was held at the initiative of the Archbishop of Cyprus and it seems for all intents and purposes to have been specifically about Ukraine and Qatar, though without any breakthroughs on either. The first bilateral talks over Qatar in years-- the first serious talks, I believe, since the failed ones brokered by the EP and the Greek MFA in 2013-- is an achievement in itself, though.
It’s almost like you don’t need a First Without Equals...

IreneOlinyk

High Elder
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
The communique is pretty bland, as I suppose one should expect. I am curious about Archbishop Chrysostomos' "personal initiative of mediation." Is this a reference to specific steps that will be taken (e.g. convoking a wider gathering) or just general behind-the-scenes stuff with occasional public statements?
You mean this part:
In addition, Their Holinesses and Beatitudes, the Primates of Orthodox Churches in the Middle East, discussed the various ecclesiastical problems that arose at different times in the bosom of the Orthodox Church and examined possible ways to end these differences. They also looked into the problems that arose after granting autocephaly to the Orthodox Church in Ukraine. His Beatitude Chrysostomos, Archbishop of Cyprus, briefed them on his personal initiative of mediation. After listening to His Beatitude, the Primates of the three Churches gave their support for his initiative to carry it for the good of the unity of the Orthodox Church in Christ Jesus.
It is quite vague:  "... discussed the various ecclesiastical problems that arose at different times in the bosom of the Orthodox Church".

We may never know.  But unfortunately, this sentence will give rise to all sorts of speculation and endless internet chatter.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
According to Romfea, Patriarchs John and Theophilus have come to a tentative agreement over Qatar: https://www.romfea.news/truce-between-antioch-and-jerusalem-for-qatar/

I hope it's true and that it sticks!

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
According to Romfea, Patriarchs John and Theophilus have come to a tentative agreement over Qatar: https://www.romfea.news/truce-between-antioch-and-jerusalem-for-qatar/

+100000000000

We should pray that it is resolved, because peace between Antioch and Jerusalem will represent the healing of a major rift in the Eastern Orthodox communion, and also better position these churches to defend their ancient rights and prerogatives from possible interference or usurpation by Constantinople, given that seems to be the pattern of late.

I would also note the schism between Antioch and Jerusalem has always struck me as especially pointless and lamentable, given that these two churches hold between them the majority of Arabic-speaking Eastern Orthodox Christians.  Also, as far as I am aware, the two patriarchates have never been out of communion for any extended period of time (and indeed, this is the reason why two of the three main Eucharistic liturgies of the Eastern Orthodox church, those of St. James and of St. John Chrysostom, are of Hagiopolitan and Antiochene origin, respectively).

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:

God grant!

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:

Κύριε, ἐλέησον