• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Russian Observations Upon the American Prayer Book

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
During dialogue with Orthodox-leaning Episcopalians in the US, St. Tikhon sent a copy of the 1892 BCP to the Russia. It was reviewed by a committee of Russian Orthodox theologians in charge of Old Catholic and Anglican questions to see whether Episcopalian parishes who united to Orthodoxy could retain it for liturgical use.

Many of the conclusions were pretty obvious. For example, scrapping the filioque and adding prayers to saints. Some, however, were not so obvious. They went through all the services in the book, leaving some interesting commentary on many of the rites.

The Russian commentary on the BCP can be found here, with an introduction by an Anglican scholar: http://anglicanhistory.org/alcuin/tract12.html

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
How should I pray? ... basic question like how should I approach God through the Orthodox prayers

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
WPM said:
How should I pray? ... basic question like how should I approach God through the Orthodox prayers
Here are two pieces of advice from St. Ignatius Brianchaninov:

"Stand before the invisible God just as a guilty criminal convicted of countless crimes and condemned to death before a stern, impartial judge... Stand at prayer with bowed head, with your eyes cast to the ground, on both legs equally and without moving; assist your prayer by sorrow of heart, sights from the depths of your soul, and abundant tears. A reverant outward demeanor at prayer is most essential and most essential for all wrestling at the work of prayer, especially for beginners for whom the disposition of the soul conforms largely to the posture of the body."
From The Arena Chapter 18, "On Prayer"

"Especially helpful in holding the attention at prayer is an extremely unhurried pronunciation of the words of the prayer. Pronounce the words without hurrying so that the mind may quite easily stay enclosed in the words of the prayer, and not slip away from a single word. Say the words in an audible voice when you pray alone; this also helps to hold the attention."
From The Arena Chapter 19, "On Attention at Prayer"

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
WPM said:
Gospel of  Saint Matthew, the chapter sixth:

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. 14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15 but if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.