Sayings of Abba Hezekiah To Be Published!

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Asteriktos said:
I've just received word that in Fall of 2016 Oxferd University Press is going to be releasing a book of collected academic journal articles on Abba Hezekiah, edited by none other than Dr. Paradosis Huffington. There are really exciting things afoot in Hezekian studies!
What amazing news!  Unfortunately, not many will be able to afford to spend close to three hundred dollars on a paperback.
Speak for yourself! Money is no object when it comes to the wisdom of Abba Hezekiah!

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Like the woman anointing Jesus with the expensive perfume to prepare for his death, so you should also spend your money on that sweet-smelling nectar of immortality, the scholarship concerning abba Hezekiah, to prepare for your own death. In this way, on that fearful day before the dread judgment seat, you will hear: come into heaven my child, for I am pleased that you are a good and well-read person.

Can I get a "So let it be"?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
...in Fall of 2016 Oxferd University Press is going to be releasing a book of collected academic journal articles on Abba Hezekiah, edited by none other than Dr. Paradosis Huffington....
They just sent me the roster of chapters:

1) Pious Bones That Cannot Break: The Hezekian Hermeutic Conceit Vis-a-vis the Speculative Elucidation of Matt. 21, by Dr. Todd Plumb
2) 6th Century Desert Sayings and the Folly of Arian Brigandry, by Dr. Julius Bashirius
3) Abba Hezekiah is People, by Zira Cornelius
4) From Now Till Never, or, Towards the Consideration of Literate Monastic Role Models, by Dr. Rubinson Trundolff
5) The Nuanced Transcendent Absence of Apophatic Language in the Hezekian Sayings, by Dr. Stacey Portier
6) Spiritual Zeal and a Brave Bellicosity of Orthodox Spirit, by Dr. G.E. Watt
7) Chrysostom, Hezekiah and Anthony on the Loved, Loving, and Lovable, by Dr. Abraham Stein
8) Hezekiah and the Possible Appropriation of Folk Wisdom Literature, by Dr. Theodore Sko
9) A Brief History of Hezekian Studies, by Dr. Paradosis Huffington
10) Origen, Macarius, and Hezekiah in a Divine Greek Synthesis, by Dr. Dede Huffington

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
"A man speaking with malice when silence would suffice can be likened to a pig filling his innards to the point of bursting; it never ends well, but swine gonna swine."

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Asteriktos said:

Must be a beast on the bench press...
Wouldn't that be more of a chest fly?
Lift enough loaves and fishes to feed 5000 or stop a storm on the sea of Galilee.....

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Asteriktos said:

Must be a beast on the bench press...
Wouldn't that be more of a chest fly?
The image does bring that more to mind, yes. However, my thoughts were of a particular oc.net thread a while back, in which certain people of thrice-forgettable memory allowed themselves to be stirred up by Satan, with the end of attacking the all-glorious humanity of the Son of God, Jesus the Christ. Their main mode of attack centered around Jesus and doing bench presses. Absurd, I know, but this is the kind of thing that emerges from the darkness inside a mind where the devil is given free license to innovate. The most troubling thing is, not only did they deny the humanity of Jesus, but also his divinity! Specifically: they disputed his omnipotence and omnipresence. Not only does Jesus bench press, but he can do it at the same time that he does chest flies, pushups, pullups, and dumbbell pullovers. For him Monday is not Chest day--every day is chest day, yet he does not do namby pamby "full-body workouts." And he is ever and always and in all ways strength training, yet never overtrains. Truly glorious and a sight to behold are the ways of the Lord.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Through grace we move and live and have our being, with all angels and people, infinite in number, being enlightened by a ray of light from the thrice-brilliant Lord. But be wary and on guard, for this light does not penetrate the darkness of willful sin and faithlessness. So keep your eyes open, your heart opener, and your nous the openest, so that you will be prepared for the beauty and knowledge and faith that comes alone from the uncreated Lord on the daily.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
"Blessed are the fishmongers, but woe to the warmongers in their purple shrouds." - Abba Hezekiah

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
It was in the Spring of that year when a government official from Byzantium, Theophylaktos Serantapechos, came down to the city closest to where Abba Hezekiah lived, doing a census of the population thereabouts. At first he conducted himself with dignity and fairness, but after a while, owing to his poor physical constitution and inability to adapt to the climate and culture in which he found himself, he grew ever more irritable and rash. Finally by the time of his fifth month in the region he had become infamous for his outbursts, and known far and wide as an example of how fragile urbanites were.

"They call Constantinople 'The City,' as a shorthand, like it's the most important place on earth," said one of the monks to Abba Hezekiah, "And they act like they're so much better than us. But in truth that city pales in comparison to even the lowest of cities of the Kingdom of God." Abba Hezekiah merely nodded at this. Another time a monk said to the Abba: "Some of my relations had to go up to the city, and because they owned much property they were asked to pay a great sum in taxes. When they explained that the land was mostly infertile and good for nothing, the administrator laughed in their face. Since they did not have enough money to pay, the administrator forced their two young sons into military service. Well now who will supervise the servants on the land that is fertile? It is a small amount, yes, but still too much for the remaining family to oversee! They will be reduced to poverty within a year" Abba Hezekiah merely nodded at this.

People continued to tell the Abba stories like this for months, but he never did anything more than nod, or on occasion shake his head in sadness and disbelief. Some believe that the saint had resigned himself to such things happening, that it was merely the way of the world. Others thought it indicated that something good would come of all the heartache and pridefulness and greed, if only people were patient. But when Abba Hezekiah went to talk to this Theophylaktos Serantapechos, everyone found out that the mindset of this great saint was much different than they had thought, and it truly astounded everyone who heard of it. Now here is what happened...

[This concludes the excerpt, please buy the book for the rest of the story. You won't believe the 3rd thing Abba Hezekiah said!]

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
The works of Abba Hezekiah are going to be published!
Man, this is taking longer to come out than the 5th volume of the Philokalia!

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Asteriktos said:
Asteriktos said:
Man, this is taking longer to come out than the 5th volume of the Philokalia in English!
Fixed.  The fifth volume of the Philokalia already exists in Malayalam.
Stop showing off, no one wants to be in a spiritual arms race!

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Asteriktos said:
Asteriktos said:
Man, this is taking longer to come out than the 5th volume of the Philokalia in English!
Isn't there a bilingual version with English?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
hecma925 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Asteriktos said:
Asteriktos said:
English-Malayalam?  That’d be news to me.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
hecma925 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Asteriktos said:
Asteriktos said:
English-Malayalam?  That’d be news to me.
Described here:
http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/2019/11/volume-5-of-philokalia-available-in-pdf.html?m=1

And where you can read and/or download:
https://www.academia.edu/40333540/Philokalia_Vol._5_Kallistos_and_Ignatios_On_the_Life_of_Stillness_English_

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I found a small (and thoroughly unexpected) translated account in a book about pride. I share it with you all:

After many years, the edifying words of Abba Hezekiah reached the ears of a local magistrate. He was fond of visiting monasteries to receive blessings and advice from ancient elders; most of all, he liked bringing rich gifts to the fathers. Certainly for altruistic reasons, but deep down, unknowingly in his soul, it was to show these old men that he was higher than they could ever be.....socially speaking, of course.

The magistrate decided to travel to Abba Hezekiah's skete, bringing a chest full of golden ornaments for the chapel altar, fine vestments for the skete's clergy, and a newly illuminated Gospel. He imagined the thanks he would receive from the fathers for bringing such items to beautify the Father's House. He travelled alone for three days and became thirsty. In the distance, he saw an old well. Besides the well stood an old man dressed in rags soiled with faeces.

"Good man," the magistrate said, holding his nose to block the putrid stench radiating off the old man. "Please, will you give me some water from your well?"

"This water is from God. Have all that you want," replied the old man. His beard was white interspersed with streaks of yellow-brown slime. The magistrate retrieved water and slaked his thirst.

On the verge of vomiting from the disgusting smell of latrine, the magistrate asked directions to the skete.

"Why the 'h' do you want to go to that den of vipers? The monks are thieves and whoremongers," said the loathsome old man.

"What?" cried the magistrate. "Impossible! The skete is led by a holy Elder, the great Abba Hezekiah."

"Oh! He is the chief, the prince of evil, the leader of that band of malingerers! He beats old women and drowns orphans....for fun! He places snakes in babies' cribs; he gives snails to starving beggars; he sets puppies' tails on fire, he..."

"Silence, you old fool! That is enough. Simply tell me where the skete is and I will see Abba Hezekiah myself," growled the magistrate, impatiently.

The old man sighed and said, "Follow me."

The magistrate followed the clearly insane old man for another three days. Insane, because this old man would say the craziest things to the magistrate.

"Abba Hezekiah once punched an angel in the face."

"Abba Hezekiah stole a bride from her own wedding and imprisoned her in a convent."

"Abba Hezekiah was visited by God and he told God that he had no time for Him."

"Abba Hezekiah stole from each monk at the skete and threw valuables into the river."

And so on and so forth. The magistrate was exhausted and annoyed listening to all these horrible things. He doubted if he even wanted to give the chest filled with beautiful things to such a scandalous group of monks.

"Look here, old man. I still desire to see for myself this infamous skete and this evil Hezekiah. I want to give you this chest of valuables. The only condition is that you point me in the direction of the skete and, please, oh please! Just leave me alone."

"As you wish, master," the old man whispered, taking the chest from the magistrate. He pointed towards the west and began walking east, leaving the magistrate behind.

The magistrate rolled his eyes and muttered insults under his breath, all the while walking in the skete's direction.

After several hours, he arrived at a monk's cell where a youngish man was weaving a basket. "Glory to Jesus Christ!" cried the monk.

"Glory forever," said the magistrate hoarsely, for he was thirsty.

The monk fetched the magistrate a cup of water and a dried rusk. The magistrate wondered how water and old bread could be so refreshing and tasty.

"Tell me, father. What is it that you do here? For I have heard scandalous tales," asked the magistrate.

"Well, master, we pray and we work and we pray some more. Then we pray while we work. Then we do our respective prayer rules given to us by our Elder. Then we work while we pray. Then on Saturday evenings we gather for the All Night Vigil, greeting the New Day, the Eighth Day of Eternity, the celebration of the Divine Liturgy where we meet God to eat His Body and drink His Blood."

"Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm," thought the magistrate out loud. "So when do you beat and rob travellers? When do you rape and pillage the local towns? When do you cheat the mentally retarded?" asked the magistrate.

"Oh, we don't have time for that," the monk answered, with a twinkle in his eyes. "Where did you hear such things?"

"Some stupid old man that was covered in dung and rags. At least you have the good sense of wearing clean clothes, father," responded the magistrate, harshly.

"Ah, you met our Elder, the Abba Hezekiah. "He is so good to us brethren. He would give me a penance for praising him, but he makes sure that the brothers are clothed and fed so we can focus on prayer. We are like the sparrows in the wild under his care, just as the Lord knows and cares for such simple creatures. He prays all night, bringing bread in secret to the poor in the villages nearby. He is a real father too, having raised over 2 dozen orphans himself, all of whom are now successful tradesmen with families of their own. He saved a poor man's 12 daughters from being dishonored by desert pirates....and the pirates all became Christians!" The monk said this all with a touch of pride, the pride a child would have of his father.

The magistrate could not believe his ears. How could he reconcile these accounts with the stories he heard in the desert? "Why would the Abba say such horrid things? I'm a man, but some of the things he said even made me blush with shame and embarrasment."

The monk smiled and said, "He rejects any praise of man out of sheer humility. Did you perchance give him anything?"

"Why, yes," the magistrate said, quite surprised. "I gave him a chest full of golden ornaments for the chapel altar, fine vestments for the skete's clergy, and a newly illuminated Gospel."

The monk chuckled, saying, "We have no use for these things, because the Lord has provided us with all these things. Either Abba Hezekiah has distributed this stuff to the poor or..." he paused.

"Or.....what?" the magistrate asked.

"...or threw the chest full of golden ornaments for the chapel altar, fine vestments for the skete's clergy, and a newly illuminated Gospel into the river. He does that sort of thing from time to time," said the monk.

And the magistrate marveled. He thanked and blessed the Lord while walking east to his home, being greatly edified.