• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Scandinavian social ways (from: converting?)

Serge

Archon
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
3,308
Reaction score
35
Points
48
Age
54
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Jason.Wike said:
I know not all Scandinavian people are the same but I've met a lot of Norwegians and Swedes and what they consider being "friendly" is to me often "too-much too soon" - they start being very friendly sometimes where I think we haven't known each other long enough. If all the priests you meet are non-Scandinavian consider that they have a different idea of things we don't actually even think about normally. If they aren't being explicitly rude it could just be that you are operating according to different ideas of how people are supposed to relate to one another. (Does that make any sense?)
That doesn't sound like what I've read elsewhere or the few times I've met Scandinavians. Unlike the American stereotype of swinging Sweden, I've found them very reserved/withdrawn.
 

henrikhankhagnell

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Messages
203
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
Location
Stockholm
Website
www.facebook.com
The young fogey said:
Jason.Wike said:
I know not all Scandinavian people are the same but I've met a lot of Norwegians and Swedes and what they consider being "friendly" is to me often "too-much too soon" - they start being very friendly sometimes where I think we haven't known each other long enough. If all the priests you meet are non-Scandinavian consider that they have a different idea of things we don't actually even think about normally. If they aren't being explicitly rude it could just be that you are operating according to different ideas of how people are supposed to relate to one another. (Does that make any sense?)
That doesn't sound like what I've read elsewhere or the few times I've met Scandinavians. Unlike the American stereotype of swinging Sweden, I've found them very reserved/withdrawn.
I think many immigrants are louder and talk more then the Swedes and those immigrants who talk arabic may sound a bit agressive.
but with alcohol you will have loud and talkative Swedes!
 

MJonsson

Newbie
Joined
Mar 10, 2011
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello im new on the forum so this is my first post.

Most Swedish people i know are friendly, but you have to get to know them first. If you compare them with the people from the US  the ones from the US are ofter friendly from the start, but the Swedish nead to know you a bit first, but when you do you get a good friend.

But there is also a difference between the north and the south, as people from the north generally are more quit, until you get to know them. 
 

henrikhankhagnell

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Messages
203
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
Location
Stockholm
Website
www.facebook.com
MJonsson said:
But there is also a difference between the north and the south, as people from the north generally are more quit, until you get to know them. 
that's not always true. sometimes people from the north talk much more than people from the south.
 

MJonsson

Newbie
Joined
Mar 10, 2011
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Points
0
henrikhankhagnell said:
MJonsson said:
But there is also a difference between the north and the south, as people from the north generally are more quit, until you get to know them. 
that's not always true. sometimes people from the north talk much more than people from the south.
Your right, specially not in the sauna or when drinking.
 
Top