Taxiarches
Reaction score
FatherGiryus said:
That thing drips with dumb...

LBK said:
FatherGiryus said:
Hold on to your pemmican...
Sorry, Father!

The Holy Trinity as a trio of tribal women.

And, in case you missed it, this post and image:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,47878.msg834394.html#msg834394
The multitude of Celtic Orthodox saints will be having words with the artist and those who accept the image. They may be brief like their prayers, but they will be to the point.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
FatherGiryus said:
That thing drips with dumb...

LBK said:
FatherGiryus said:
Hold on to your pemmican...
Sorry, Father!

The Holy Trinity as a trio of tribal women.

And, in case you missed it, this post and image:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,47878.msg834394.html#msg834394
"Drips with dumb" doesn't end there. Here's the idiotic, syncretist spiel about it from the artist:

From ancient times human beings have responded to experiences with the divine with works of art. They have used metaphor and image to
describe what they have “seen.” Individual expressions of personal experiences of the divine have often challenged rigid religious traditions. Religious institutions have mistrusted the images of the ancients as well as the images of the mystics.

The spiritual genius of many ethnic groups through the centuries has been responsible for profound images of faith. The drawings on the walls of prehistoric caves and early sculpture are powerful witnesses to highly developed spiritual as well as artistic sentiments of peoples who lived centuries before the birth of the traditional religions of the East and West.

Native Americans, Africans, Asians, as well as early Europeans saw their religious traditions and images cast aside in favour of the Christian images current at the time. Treasures of faith were lost, as cultures were systematically destroyed by colonists and conquerors. It is time to recover discarded religious treasures.

A beautiful image from ancient Celtic religious experience was God as a trinity of women. The Maiden gave birth to creation. The Mother nurtured and protected it, and the Crone brought it wisely to its end. A raven accompanied the Crone as a symbol of life and death: though it ate dead things, it flew high into the heavens. In this icon the three women are depicted from different races to extend the Celtic image to a more global perspective. The snake was another sacred feminine image. It represented life, fertility, and rejuvenation. Devouring its own tail, it represented immortality.

Feminine images have suffered greatly in the west. Women will continue to suffer oppression in any religious society until their images have been reclaimed and honored. These feminine insights can help to present a new healing perspective on the problems that face our modern world.

Eastern Mind

High Elder
Reaction score
Maiden? Mother? Crone?

Gah! I just can't even with this anymore <_<

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Oh my Lord.

I almost wish LBK would come out with a book of these bad icons. I just hope it wouldn't give some unfortunate people even more bad ideas. ;)

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
LBK said:
Having said that, the one which is just passable is the last one of the female saint; the blue halo around the bishop-saint makes no sense at all (if gold is unavailable, then a pale color reminiscent of light can be chosen - the artist used a golden shde for the crosses on the omophorion, so why didn't he use the same in the halo?);
I'm reading a book illustrated with a fresco of Transfiguration from XIIth century and some halos in there are blue and some - golden.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Oh my Lord.

I almost wish LBK would come out with a book of these bad icons. I just hope it wouldn't give some unfortunate people even more bad ideas. ;)
I've been working on it for a few years. Hope to publish in the New Year.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
LBK said:
biro said:
Oh my Lord.

I've been working on it for a few years. Hope to publish in the New Year.
Wonderful! I will buy a copy. :)

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Eastern Mind said:
Here is one of an Arab Jesus

Actually I think that's Aramaic.

Would this image be considered schlock? It's titled "Christ God the Geometer"

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Anyone who dislikes good ole Robby is going to love this

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
sheenj said:
Would this image be considered schlock? It's titled "Christ God the Geometer"

It's not quite schlock, though the eyes are pretty creepy. The idea of God the Geometer has a scriptural basis, such as these quotes:

Isaiah 40:12: Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, measured heaven with a span and calculated the dust of the earth in a measure? Weighed the mountains in scales and the hills in a balance??

Isaiah 48:13: Indeed My hand has laid the foundation of the earth, and My right hand has spanned the heavens; when I call to them,
they stand up together.

Job 38: 4-6: “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements?
Surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? To what were its foundations fastened? Or who laid its cornerstone?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
pmpn8rGPT said:
Anyone who dislikes good ole Robby is going to love this

Oh, he should have been taken to the cleaners on charges of plagiarism and breach of copyright.

It also violates a central principle of iconography: that the icon represents the prototype, i.e. the actual person who is the subject of the icon. St Mary Magdalene was not a late 20th-century Aghan girl, but a first-century Jewish woman from Magdala.

Eastern Mind

High Elder
Reaction score

Because it depicts God the Father, it would be schlock, right? Also, the Holy Spirit is a dove, and can only be depicted as a dove during the Baptism, right?

I never understood why, but for whatever reason, some like to portray God the Father as an old man with a white beard.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Eastern Mind said:

Because it depicts God the Father, it would be schlock, right? Also, the Holy Spirit is a dove, and can only be depicted as a dove during the Baptism, right?

I never understood why, but for whatever reason, some like to portray God the Father as an old man with a white beard.
This is the most well-known uncanonical image, and, sadly, despite the wealth of patristic, liturgical, conciliar and doctrinal evidence denouncing it, it is still being painted, for reasons only known to the painters.  :(

And, in the example posted, painted not very well.

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Eastern Mind said:

Neither Holy, nor Byzantine, nor Icons. Needs name change.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Shanghaiski said:
Neither Holy, nor Byzantine, nor Icons. Needs name change.
WIN!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Eastern Mind

High Elder
Reaction score
Does anyone here happen to know why so many "icons" of the Father have that triangle around His head?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Eastern Mind said:
Does anyone here happen to know why so many "icons" of the Father have that triangle around His head?
Maybe it signifies the Trinity. Just a guess.  :)