Schlock Icons

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
isxodnik said:
Please tell me what purpose other than blasphemy, is pursuing this topic?
Reading page 1 of this thread should help. It's to show people that there are many images out there which might look like icons, but are blasphemous, or express teachings or ideas which have no place in Orthodox belief. Sometimes the artists don't realize what they are painting is wrong, other times they do know, but paint them anyway.

The Sergius and Bacchus one is a typical example. The artist who painted it states that the saints were homosexual lovers, so he deliberately painted them like that. The artist has painted other pairs of saints to promote a positive view of homosexuality.

Two related threads:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11209.0/all.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,44810.0/all.html

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
LBK said:
It's to show people that there are many images out there which might look like icons, but are blasphemous, or express teachings or ideas which have no place in Orthodox belief.
Apparently, this is some Western specifics...

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
isxodnik said:
Apparently, this is some Western specifics...
Do you mean that there aren't Orthodox people who have painted bad icons? That it is only something that non-Orthodox people have done?

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
I mean the concept you've voiced (teaching the good through repeating the bad) sounds strange. But I admit that my misunderstanding is due to cultural differences.
But still strange...

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
isxodnik said:
I mean the concept you've voiced (teaching the good through repeating the bad) sounds strange. But I admit that my misunderstanding is due to cultural differences.
But still strange...
What I am about to say happened a few years ago. I was looking at the website of an Orthodox monastery which sold icons and vestments produced by the nuns. On the website was an embroidered icon which was an exact copy of the blasphemous St Sergius and Bacchus image. I emailed the monastery, letting them know about the origin of the image, which I was sure they had innocently included in their range without knowing its history.

A day later, I received a reply from one of the nuns, who had been given the blessing to respond to emails and letters. She said she would be showing my email to the abbess. A couple of days later, the abbess herself emailed me. She thanked me for letting the monastery know that the image was blasphemous and heretical, and that the monastery would immediately stop producing embroidered icons using the image.

Isxodnik, do you think it would have been better for me to remain silent and in doing so allow a monastery to keep producing items based on a blasphemous and heretical painting which looks like an icon?

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
You're good! I say: cultural peculiarities. I can't imagine, so we needed someone to explain what the icon with the reptiles, or to the tune of Warhammer - the non-Orthodox. There are distortions, but not so obvious. For example, I was sent an icon of the Mother of God "Московская и всея Руси". Alarming is its name, the image is also non-canonical, with Muslim and Masonic symbols, the origin is muddy. But still not such a blow to the eyes, as in this topic ))

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
isxodnik said:
You're good! I say: cultural peculiarities. I can't imagine, so we needed someone to explain what the icon with the reptiles, or to the tune of Warhammer - the non-Orthodox. There are distortions, but not so obvious. For example, I was sent an icon of the Mother of God "Московская и всея Руси". Alarming is its name, the image is also non-canonical, with Muslim and Masonic symbols, the origin is muddy. But still not such a blow to the eyes, as in this topic ))
The extreme images on this thread like the Warhammer or reptile ones are so obviously ridiculous that no Orthodox person (or even non-Orthodox but Christian) would think they're OK to venerate. They're just silly cartoons.

The bad icons that are more dangerous are the ones like the Moskovskaya i vseya Rusi you mentioned. It's because they are not "blows to the eyes" that people might not realize they're no good.

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
Then we return to the original question: why post openly blasphemous images?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
isxodnik said:
Then we return to the original question: why post openly blasphemous images?
To educate people about paintings that look like icons, but which are not good and proper icons. With some images, it's obvious to most people that they're wrong (like the ones you called "blows to the eyes"), but with many other images, like the Moskovskaya you mentioned, or the Sergius and Bacchus the nuns had copied in honest ignorance, it's not so obvious.

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
That one takes the prize for the worst I have ever seen.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
^^ do you mean usage of an icon and quotations from Bible and saints for the ecological movements?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
^^ do you mean usage of an icon and quotations from Bible and saints for the ecological movements?
Correct.

https://www.orthodoxartsjournal.org/the-making-of-a-new-icon-christ-breaking-the-bonds-of-animal-suffering/

Eamonomae

Julian the Apostate
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
I’m in Louisville, Kentucky with my family on vacation, and this was near the hotel we are staying at.

For reference:

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com

"Ruler of the Cosmos" (2018) by Joni Zavitsanos
"The domes of Orthodox Churches around the world hold the strong and vibrant figure of Christ the Pantocrator or 'Ruler of the Universe'. In my depiction, Patriarch Bartholomew, persecuted in his native country and abroad, yet steadfast and unwavering in his love for God and mankind, and strong in his leadership of well over 3 million Orthodox Christians around the globe, is shown in the heavens as our ruler, who, while living with us on this earth, stands in the place of Christ and imitates Him."

SOURCE: https://jonizavitsanos.com/
Fordham University featuring modern Byzantine Iconography art exhibit by Joni Zavitsanos, opening Sep 12

Ms. Zavitsanos is the wife of National Council member John Zavitsanos, Esq., who was recently named the 2019 recipient of the Nicholas J. Bouras Award for Extraordinary Archon Stewardship. ... Ms. Zavitsanos’ extensive experience creating multimedia art reflecting a variety of cultures led to her exposure to Byzantine iconography, the earliest form of Christian art, which she uses to develop themes including the afterlife. The influence of her father (also an Archon) renowned Byzantine iconographer Diamantis Cassis, is also proudly visible in all her work.
https://www.archons.org/-/joni-zavitsanos-art-exhibit

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
New entries from Monastery Icons

“Savior of America”

“Our Lady of America”

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
It seems very appropriate. If the Christ wasn't American, how would he have spoken English well enough to write the King James Bible?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
platypus said:
It seems very appropriate. If the Christ wasn't American, how would he have spoken English well enough to write the King James Bible?
Well said.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
America should be consecrated to the Virgin Mary.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
rakovsky said:

"Ruler of the Cosmos" (2018) by Joni Zavitsanos
"The domes of Orthodox Churches around the world hold the strong and vibrant figure of Christ the Pantocrator or 'Ruler of the Universe'. In my depiction, Patriarch Bartholomew, persecuted in his native country and abroad, yet steadfast and unwavering in his love for God and mankind, and strong in his leadership of well over 3 million Orthodox Christians around the globe, is shown in the heavens as our ruler, who, while living with us on this earth, stands in the place of Christ and imitates Him."

SOURCE: https://jonizavitsanos.com/
Fordham University featuring modern Byzantine Iconography art exhibit by Joni Zavitsanos, opening Sep 12

Ms. Zavitsanos is the wife of National Council member John Zavitsanos, Esq., who was recently named the 2019 recipient of the Nicholas J. Bouras Award for Extraordinary Archon Stewardship. ... Ms. Zavitsanos’ extensive experience creating multimedia art reflecting a variety of cultures led to her exposure to Byzantine iconography, the earliest form of Christian art, which she uses to develop themes including the afterlife. The influence of her father (also an Archon) renowned Byzantine iconographer Diamantis Cassis, is also proudly visible in all her work.
https://www.archons.org/-/joni-zavitsanos-art-exhibit
You have discovered the schlockiest of the schlock icons. Congratulations?

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean, it had to happen...