• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Schlock Orthoproducts

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Salve Regina
Jurisdiction
La Virgin de Cobre
In the vein of the schlock icons thread, we shall herein discuss the merits of various products of Orthokitsch.

My first offering:

The "Acquire Peace" t-shirt

The second is much more ephemeral:

The Jesus Prayer App for Android.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
I suppose this thread will provide many inspirations for me.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Salve Regina
Jurisdiction
La Virgin de Cobre

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
One of my "favorites", the dreaded icon bracelet:

Ugh.  :p

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
I use St. Benedict Medal as a keychain. Does it count?

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Wanderer, but in All the East
Agabus said:
This alone makes the thread worthwhile. 

I don't have any visual contributions, but the vomit inducing prelude music and introductory comments to most podcasts seem, at best, to fall into the schlock category.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
LBK said:

Come on, we all know you secretly long to have a bracelet of your favorite schlock icons. :)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Alpo said:
I've seen St Benedict and St Bridget medals on zip pullers on Etsy. I'd link if they were still there.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Shanghaiski said:
LBK said:

Come on, we all know you secretly long to have a bracelet of your favorite schlock icons. :)
Only to get the satisfaction of burning it!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Arachne said:
Alpo said:
I've seen St Benedict and St Bridget medals on zip pullers on Etsy. I'd link if they were still there.
I had to google to see what is Etsy. I'm Glad that I haven't seen it around here. One international market chain selling ugly low quality products less to boycott.

My medal is from Medjugorje. Two of my RC friends made a pilgrimage there. I been considering whether I should ask my priest to bless it just in order to see his face. "St. Benedict Medal? What's that?"

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Salve Regina
Jurisdiction
La Virgin de Cobre
If you play it right, you can venerate and get a sip of coffee all in one fluid motion:

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
Agabus said:
If you play it right, you can venerate and get a sip of coffee all in one fluid motion:

LOL @ your posts.

Jesus prayer app! Good grief. There is now an app for everything. Slide while counting . . .

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
LBK said:

Ugh.  :p
Ooops, I wear such thing for special occasions (I have two such bracelets and both are important for me as I've receive them from Serbia). But people rather like it, one of my Orthodox friends even said it's nice I wanted to take my friends with me.

In my opinion e.g icons-puzzles are one of Schlock Orthoproducts. Unfortunately, last year I got it as a birthday gift :laugh: (a canonical Serbian fresco presenting the Last Judgment)

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll have to find the Photoshop I did of putting St John of Shanghai on a tshirt. Looked good to me lol.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Salve Regina
Jurisdiction
La Virgin de Cobre
Shiny said:
I'll have to find the Photoshop I did of putting St John of Shanghai on a tshirt. Looked good to me lol.
Like this?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
orthonorm said:
Jesus prayer app! Good grief. There is now an app for everything. Slide while counting . . .
I wonder if, many centuries ago, people railed against prayer ropes.  "Why do you need a rope to pray? Why would you introduce such a material thing into the pure act of prayer with God? Is it that you wish to show off to others? Is prayer by itself not exciting enough for you? Are you so inattentive that you can't keep track of what you're doing without one? Are you so bent on following the latest fad? Truly I tell you, this is nothing more than a passing triviality, a way for people to bring worldly corruptions into their prayer life! We are called to silence, to quiet, not to introduce unnecessary reasons for movement and shifting thoughts while we pray, or put unnecessary physical barriers between ourselves and God!"

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Dominika said:
But people rather like it, one of my Orthodox friends even said it's nice I wanted to take my friends with me.
I do that with paper icons as bookmarks. >_>

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Asteriktos said:
orthonorm said:
I wonder if, many centuries ago, people railed against prayer ropes.  "Why do you need a rope to pray? Why would you introduce such a material thing into the pure act of prayer with God? Is it that you wish to show off to others? Is prayer by itself not exciting enough for you? Are you so inattentive that you can't keep track of what you're doing without one? Are you so bent on following the latest fad? Truly I tell you, this is nothing more than a passing triviality, a way for people to bring worldly corruptions into their prayer life! We are called to silence, to quiet, not to introduce unnecessary reasons for movement and shifting thoughts while we pray, or put unnecessary physical barriers between ourselves and God!"
Well, if I go to a monastery and they all have their Iphones out and using this app, I'm going to take out my Iphone and take a picture, because that would be a weird sight.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
hecma925 said:
Well, if I go to a monastery and they all have their Iphones out and using this app, I'm going to take out my Iphone and take a picture, because that would be a weird sight.
Give it a few generations. Then we'll talk. :)

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Asteriktos said:
hecma925 said:
Give it a few generations. Then we'll talk. :)
If you're still around, you can talk with me at my grave.  Assuming, of course, someone bothered to bury me.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Arachne said:
Dominika said:
But people rather like it, one of my Orthodox friends even said it's nice I wanted to take my friends with me.
I do that with paper icons as bookmarks. >_>
I do that with religious books, but I'm not sure what a Saint would think about marking the spot in Blood Meridian. 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Asteriktos said:
orthonorm said:
Ropes are goofy too.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Salve Regina
Jurisdiction
La Virgin de Cobre
orthonorm said:
Asteriktos said:
orthonorm said:
Ropes are goofy too.
Speaking of, I present you the survival chotki:

Or, as the product description calls it, the "professional and exprienced orthodox prayer rope wristband survival bracelet."

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Agabus said:
orthonorm said:
Asteriktos said:
orthonorm said:
Ropes are goofy too.
Speaking of, I present you the survival chotki:

Or, as the product description calls it, the "professional and exprienced orthodox prayer rope wristband survival bracelet."
Awesome. I know * likes to level everything down to some ridiculous common denominator which he believes conditions the view he is taking a stance against.

That he is almost always wrong is beside the point. He is clever when he does it, but nevertheless usually inaccurate.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Asteriktos said:
orthonorm said:
Somehow I doubt iphones are made with prayer and fasting by monks.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Shanghaiski said:
LBK said:

Brilliant! Now I have to keep my fingers crossed for an OC.net Secret Santa, and then hope and pray I draw LBK.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
ZealousZeal said:
Shanghaiski said:
LBK said:

Brilliant! Now I have to keep my fingers crossed for an OC.net Secret Santa, and then hope and pray I draw LBK.
You evil woman, you!  ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
You wouldn't want a fine bracelet lovingly crafted by a friend?  ;) I already have a prototype photoshopped using some of your favorites!  8)

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Salve Regina
Jurisdiction
La Virgin de Cobre
ZealousZeal said:
Shanghaiski said:
LBK said:

And thus was born the Great Schlockoclasty controversy of 2013, in which the Confessor LBK defended the right of schlockoclasm against the schlockodules.

In more recent times, some theologians have suggested the schlockodules were misunderstood by the schlockkoclasts, who — though both parties spoke English — no longer shared a common culture or language with the opposing party. Some have suggested a mistranslation resulted in accidental schlockodulism, while others suggested the entire thing was a joke.

Despite the current charitable ecumenical reading of history, the schism has remained in place since 2013, though members of both parties openly commune in each others’ churches.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
ZealousZeal said:
You wouldn't want a fine bracelet lovingly crafted by a friend?  ;) I already have a prototype photoshopped using some of your favorites!  8)
Oooo, goody! Can I have a look? Pretty-please?  :laugh:

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Agabus said:
ZealousZeal said:
Shanghaiski said:
LBK said:

And thus was born the Great Schlockoclasty controversy of 2013, in which the Confessor LBK defended the right of schlockoclasm against the schlockodules.

In more recent times, some theologians have suggested the schlockodules were misunderstood by the schlockkoclasts, who — though both parties spoke English — no longer shared a common culture or language with the opposing party. Some have suggested a mistranslation resulted in accidental schlockodulism, while others suggested the entire thing was a joke.

Despite the current charitable ecumenical reading of history, the schism has remained in place since 2013, though members of both parties openly commune in each others’ churches.
All hail St Agabus, chronicler and elucidator of our Faith!  :laugh:

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
LBK said:
ZealousZeal said:
Well, okay... but it totally ruins the surprise:

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
ZealousZeal said:
LBK said:
ZealousZeal said:

You are lovely. 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
ZealousZeal said:

I see no icons of Jesus doing resistance training, I think you're safe!

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
There were so many options... She might have to get an entire jewelry set. Maybe featuring God the Father as earrings? I know she loves that. ;)

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Mor Ephrem said:
ZealousZeal said:

You are lovely. 
I can make you one if you'd like, Mor. I'm thinking Carmen Electra, Louis CK, merkins, maybe a cat...

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
ZealousZeal said:
I can make you one if you'd like, Mor. I'm thinking Carmen Electra, Louis CK, merkins, maybe a cat...
If you can make one where the only image is of Louis CK wearing nothing but a merkin and holding a cat, I'd cope with the absence of Carmen Electra. 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
LBK said:
Asteriktos said:
orthonorm said:
Somehow I doubt iphones are made with prayer and fasting by monks.
When the "labor market" gets especially competitive, maybe they will. Sanctity will be required to remain sane under the conditions developing for global labor.