• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Schlock Orthoproducts

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
podkarpatska said:
^ Those cards are a fine teaching tool for parents to use with their small children.

I suppose some of you must imagine parents reading  The Rudder and vivid hagriograhies of Saints martyred by the Roman Emperors to their kids at bedtime.   ;)

Icons and Bible stories and taking them to church and church related activities really works fine.
LOL, my kids are only interested in the saints who slew dragons at bedtime. Stories of great repentance don't hold their attention just yet.

It wasn't so much the memory card aspect that caused me laughter as the "go fish" aspect.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Agabus said:
podkarpatska said:
^ Those cards are a fine teaching tool for parents to use with their small children.

I suppose some of you must imagine parents reading  The Rudder and vivid hagriograhies of Saints martyred by the Roman Emperors to their kids at bedtime.   ;)

Icons and Bible stories and taking them to church and church related activities really works fine.
LOL, my kids are only interested in the saints who slew dragons at bedtime. Stories of great repentance don't hold their attention just yet.

It wasn't so much the memory card aspect that caused me laughter as the "go fish" aspect.
Agreed. ;)

At least they didn't suggest "Old Maid" and "52 Pick up."  :D

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
podkarpatska said:
Agabus said:
podkarpatska said:

Agreed. ;)

At least they didn't suggest "Old Maid" and "52 Pick up."  :D
5 card stud

Levsky

Reaction score
Got this nice miniature Gospel key chain with miniature icons of the saints inside from a family friend, who went on a trip to Greece. Not sure if it qualifies as schlockor not, but there's my two bits.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Levsky said:
Got this nice miniature Gospel key chain with miniature icons of the saints inside from a family friend, who went on a trip to Greece. Not sure if it qualifies as schlockor not, but there's my two bits.
I wouldn't say they are schlock. From my memory, some of the oldest icons found have been small portable ones for personal devotion. Sounds better that the icons are on the inside, rather than exposed and banging against your keys all the time.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Antonis said:
Levsky said:
Got this nice miniature Gospel key chain with miniature icons of the saints inside from a family friend, who went on a trip to Greece. Not sure if it qualifies as schlock or not, but there's my two bits.
I wouldn't say they are schlock. From my memory, some of the oldest icons found have been small portable ones for personal devotion. Sounds better that the icons are on the inside, rather than exposed and banging against your keys all the time.
I doubt very much that these ancient portable icons would have been shoved in pockets or bags, to jostle and bang against whatever else is in there.  :p

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
LBK said:
Antonis said:
Levsky said:
Got this nice miniature Gospel key chain with miniature icons of the saints inside from a family friend, who went on a trip to Greece. Not sure if it qualifies as schlock or not, but there's my two bits.
I doubt very much that these ancient portable icons would have been shoved in pockets or bags, to jostle and bang against whatever else is in there.  :p
Like I said, it is comforting that they are within a little gospel, rather than exposed directly.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Antonis said:
LBK said:
Antonis said:
Levsky said:
Like I said, it is comforting that they are within a little gospel, rather than exposed directly.
You're still missing the point. The icons might be "protected", but what about the Gospel? Is it somehow less sacred than the icons?

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
LBK said:
Antonis said:
LBK said:
Antonis said:
Levsky said:
You're still missing the point. The icons might be "protected", but what about the Gospel? Is it somehow less sacred than the icons?
How could I miss a point that was not made? You referenced the irreverence of portable icons banging around, not the Gospel.

As for the "Gospel," I am sure it is a little metal book with icons on each side of the inside, not a literal Gospel. That would be ridiculous.

Not everything has to be a confrontation.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Antonis said:
LBK said:
Antonis said:
LBK said:
Antonis said:
Levsky said:
I doubt very much that these ancient portable icons would have been shoved in pockets or bags, to jostle and bang against whatever else is in there.  :p
How could I miss a point that was not made? You referenced the irreverence of portable icons banging around, not the Gospel.

As for the "Gospel," I am sure it is a little metal book with icons on each side of the inside, not a literal Gospel. That would be ridiculous.

Not everything has to be a confrontation.
The fact that the key chain incorporates something that is intended to resemble a Gospel book is reason enough to consign it to the realms of Orthoschlock, whether or not it actually contains pages of scripture.

Are we to have no standards at all?

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Assuming it is anything like the one here

http://www.orthodoxgifts.com/products/Mini-Gospel-Keychain%25252d-With-Icons-Inside.html

I now agree that the outside contains sufficient icon content as well to be icky in my purse. Maybe others don't have messy purses.

If it was a flat wood square that wasn't trying to look like a Gospel book and thus the icons were truly inside, I might feel different.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
DeniseDenise said:
Assuming it is anything like the one here

http://www.orthodoxgifts.com/products/Mini-Gospel-Keychain%25252d-With-Icons-Inside.html

I now agree that the outside contains sufficient icon content as well to be icky in my purse. Maybe others don't have messy purses.

If it was a flat wood square that wasn't trying to look like a Gospel book and thus the icons were truly inside, I might feel different.
Here's the Gospel keychain:

And, from the same outfit, an icon keychain with built-in flashlight:

Fiat lux ....  :p :p :p

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Yes. Sorry for not linking more usefully, but I am insomniac posting from bed on a phone.  :-\

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
DeniseDenise said:
Yes. Sorry for not linking more usefully, but I am insomniac posting from bed on a phone.  :-\
No problem, DD.  :)

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
Not schlock but struck me as funny:

Chocolate Truffle favors topped with an icon button.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I used to have a very tiny icon set which attached by sticky back to the visor flap of the car. Don't have a picture of it anymore, but it's a judgment call as to whether it was 'schlock.'

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
I'm not sure what the stickman is holding in the "fasting" panel; maybe a cat, a rabbit, or....?

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
I'm not sure what the stickman is holding in the "fasting" panel; maybe a cat, a rabbit, or....?
I'm not ashamed to admit I have the shirt.  :p It's hard to see in that image, but it's a fork.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Antonis said:
hecma925 said:
I'm not ashamed to admit I have the shirt.  :p It's hard to see in that image, but it's a fork.
LOL, well confession brings forgiveness.  On what occasions do you happen to wear it?

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
Ah! well a-day! what pious looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the Albatross, the cross
About my neck was hung.

Shlomlokh

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Bulgarian/GOA
Agabus said:
Ah! well a-day! what pious looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the Albatross, the cross
About my neck was hung.

Ah the necktie: the layman's epitrachelion.

In Christ,
Andrew

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Deist
Jurisdiction
N/A
What is this?

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
That is a tama, a votive offering in the Greek tradition. A person leaving such a tama likely was healed of an ailment having to do with their vision. There are a variety of tama for various ailments, marriages, babies, etc. They are usually left near or tied on to icons. You will often find them all over traditional Greek churches.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Antonis said:
hecma925 said:
LOL, well confession brings forgiveness.  On what occasions do you happen to wear it?
I just now saw this and realized I never responded to it.

To be honest, I rarely, if ever, wear it. I used to wear it to an Orthodox camp that I would participate in/psaltify at. I suppose I could turn it into a pajama shirt.

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Deist
Jurisdiction
N/A
Antonis said:
That is a tama, a votive offering in the Greek tradition. A person leaving such a tama likely was healed of an ailment having to do with their vision. There are a variety of tama for various ailments, marriages, babies, etc. They are usually left near or tied on to icons. You will often find them all over traditional Greek churches.
Interesting, thanks.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Antonis said:
Also popular with Sicilians, as I've heard.  :)

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
biro said:
Antonis said:
Also popular with Sicilians, as I've heard.  :)
Not surprising, given that Sicily and Calabria were part of Magna Graecia. Elements of Greek culture and language are still evident there.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Most of them are Roman Catholic, but there are some Orthodox too:
https://www.facebook.com/Galeria-KICZU-Religijnego-219041134936500/photos

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction

It is your discovery. This Mosaic Icon is created by 1848 Christian Icons. Here are used Christian Icons of Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, Jesus Christ, Archangels, Angels and Saints. Mosaic Icon practically is a “Catalog of the Christian Icons on one page”. You buy one poster - thus buy thousands of icons.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
I'm sure I could make all kinds of images if I was allowed to tint the composite pictures any way I wanted lol.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Agabus said:

It is your discovery. This Mosaic Icon is created by 1848 Christian Icons. Here are used Christian Icons of Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, Jesus Christ, Archangels, Angels and Saints. Mosaic Icon practically is a “Catalog of the Christian Icons on one page”. You buy one poster - thus buy thousands of icons.
"You buy one poster - thus buy thousands of icons"!!! 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
That would take quite some time to venerate them all.

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
Faith
Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton of the Melkites
Dominika said:
Most of them are Roman Catholic, but there are some Orthodox too:
https://www.facebook.com/Galeria-KICZU-Religijnego-219041134936500/photos
These are beyond belief - I just skimmed them and was horrifiede. My first thought was that the halters with Our Lady of Guadalupe on them were the worst, but then I saw the Pope John Paul and Mother Theresa dolls - which look like characters from a Chuckie horror movie, the crucified Christ made of balloons, and more. I had to stop when I saw the Madonna and Child pictured on a thong.

Many years,

Neil

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Is there a  point in posting such pictures of stuff from shops that made any custom prints on any items?

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
mike said:
Is there a  point in posting such pictures of stuff from shops that made any custom prints on any items?
If they openly present such (so certain) offer, I think there is.