• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Schlock Orthoproducts

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Agabus said:
Not strictly Orthodox, but too good to pass up, the St. Benedict medal USB flash drive:

Why hasn't Hollywood used this kind of thing yet? I could totally see this (or more likely, a St. Anthony one) being used in a campy plot which requires some kind of exchange of information between spies. Naturally the spy receiving it is an atheist who has no use for such trinkets, but takes it out of respect, and through various scenes slowly realises that maybe religion and religious items aren't so useless as they thought, till they finally understand that their "salvation lies within" the object given to them.

wynd

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Asteriktos said:
Why hasn't Hollywood used this kind of thing yet? I could totally see this (or more likely, a St. Anthony one) being used in a campy plot which requires some kind of exchange of information between spies. Naturally the spy receiving it is an atheist who has no use for such trinkets, but takes it out of respect, and through various scenes slowly realises that maybe religion and religious items aren't so useless as they thought, till they finally understand that their "salvation lies within" the object given to them.
Andy Dufresne would like a word.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
RaphaCam said:
This thread has crossed all limits of cringeworthiness.
To throw kerosine on the fire:

I know it's a Catholic thing so I'll just call it Wester Rite schlock.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
An usage of the icons (some of them schlock icons) for the smartphone:
http://frbillmcnichols-sacredimages.com/shop/galaxy+cases

I can't understand that the author has no problems with the eyes of saints covered by the hole for the camera :eek:

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Dominika said:

I can't understand that the author has no problems with the eyes of saints covered by the hole for the camera :eek:
Yeah, it's like NWO stuff.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Agabus said:
LOL. So earnest it's almost Evangelical.

I'd like to see a red cap with the phrase ''Make Istambul Constantinople Again''.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
biro said:
TheTrisagion said:
That would take quite some time to venerate them all.
Yeah, you'd have lip bruises by the end.  ;D
At least you would not have cut your chin shaving, which appears in that poster to have happened to the Theotokos due to the bizarre use of red icons on the right side of her chin.  What was the point of that?  They used almost as many red icons there as in depicting her lips.

At that, its better than these found by Dominika:

Dominika said:

These come across as making Our Lady look like a robot; actually I recall seeing a droid in one of the Star Wars films with that pattern of cameras as its face.  I feel like saying to the guy who designed those, “Do you actually look at your work or do you just create these products blindfolded?”  Actually they have the appearance of computer-designed products, of the sort you can have created, where your chosen image or logo gets randomly splashed across a diverse array of products (CafePress is responsible for some of these monstrosities).

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Alpha60 said:
At least you would not have cut your chin shaving, which appears in that poster to have happened to the Theotokos due to the bizarre use of red icons on the right side of her chin.  What was the point of that?  They used almost as many red icons there as in depicting her lips.
Nothing at all bizarre about the patch of red on the Mother of God's chin in the composite image. Ever heard of the Iveron icon of the Mother of God? Also known as Portaitissa/Of the Portal:mad: ::)

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
LBK said:
Alpha60 said:
Nothing at all bizarre about the patch of red on the Mother of God's chin in the composite image. Ever heard of the Iveron icon of the Mother of God? Also known as Portaitissa/Of the Portal:mad: ::)
I have a copy of it as my primary icon for venerating our Lord and Theotokos, which was the first icon I ever acquired in fact, at the Syriac Orthodox convention in 2013 shortly after my conversion.  I’ve never seen a version of that icon, or anything original, that looks like the massive open wound in the collage of icons linked to above.

My point is that in the collage, the wound was exaggerated to a ridiculous extent, to the point where it looks like someone kissed the icon while wearing a massive amount of lipstick.    They used almost as many red icons as tiles in depicting it as they did in depicting her lips, and of the same shade! 

What it does not look like, to me at least, is the blood-streaming wound that appeared on the icon when it was attacked by the Iconoclasts.  The red stain is in the wrong location, and is the wrong color.  Compare:

http://orthochristian.com/49458.html

Someone not familiar with Iveron would have no idea what that collage was trying to depict.  I think this is because they tried to form it using a collage of icons, rather than just painting a single icon according to tradition, which is the right way to do it.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Alpha60 said:
My point is that in the collage, the wound was exaggerated to a ridiculous extent, to the point where it looks like someone kissed the icon while wearing a massive amount of lipstick.    They used almost as many red icons as tiles in depicting it as they did in depicting her lips, and of the same shade!
Nonsense. Spare us your verbal exaggerations. You've been caught out, and you don't like it. As for the location of the wound on the Mother of God's face, it can vary, depending on who has painted the icon. Sometimes it is on her cheek, sometimes on the chin. This does not detract from the meaning of the icon.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Alpha60 said:
Dominika said:
Holy Serbia

Is that a seatbelt buckle???  :eek:
Yep.
I must add that I wrote "Serbia" as I'd found it on Serbian page, however the picture itself is from Russia.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
A costume "papas orthodoxos" (but see even the title of the link):

http://www.costumes.gr/apokriatikes-stoles/index.php?sw=9&detail=212501&Religious-Devils-costumes-Priest.html

Edit: some other stuff for "Halloween"
http://www.1000costumes.com/greek-folklore/index.php?sw=92&detail=644053&GreekNationalHolidays-Papaflessas.html
http://www.1000costumes.com/greek-folklore/index.php?sw=92&detail=644068&GreekNationalHolidays-Pal.patronGermanos.html

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
I love that the guy has the most ironic, punchable facial expression ever.

Is Halloween a big thing in Greece? Is it just an American import or is there some historical folk stuff?

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch

Edited to resize only - Agabus.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Kind of funny, Google Reverse Image search suggests the tag "sad man" (I know it's Arsenie Boca).

Resize tags are "Img Height (or Width)=number" if you didn't know.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
As I recall, Boca was pretty aggressively antisemitic (and without the weakly plausible deniability of St. John Chrysostom or St. Nikolai Velimirovic). Maybe I'm misremembering, though.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Heh, my girlfriend has a BW photo of Arsenie Boca on her bookshelf. What's your opinion of him augustin?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
I had heard that Fr Arsenie taught reincarnation and other weird stuff. EDIT moving this to another thread...

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
RobS said:
Heh, my girlfriend has a BW photo of Arsenie Boca on her bookshelf. What's your opinion of him augustin?
he’s omnipresent. But especially on bus boards . His popularity though is the result of a banal but deliberate marketing campaign by some orthodox institutions. It’s a long story but it has been thoroughly investigated a few years ago.
https://youtu.be/88ujv4s74d0

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
Never heard of him. Guess that's a good thing.

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Moscow Patriarchate
I must confess I don't know anything about this picture but its schlock all right:

Sampson

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Chicago
I like Uncut Mountain's stuff, but some of the new shirts strike me as kind of schlock-ish.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
Sampson said:
I like Uncut Mountain's stuff, but some of the new shirts strike me as kind of schlock-ish.

The first one defeats its own purpose, if you think about it.
The second one is schlock because it's a blatant Death to the World ripoff :D

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Reminds me too much of the t-shirts you get in sectarian bookstores, e.g. Lifeway Christian bookstore.  An icon on a t-shirt is only slightly better than this.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Maybe I have a bad taste, but I like both.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Dominika said:
I like the second one, but I don't wear white tops.

(On the other hand, tees with Orthodox stuff in Cyrillic or Arabic script, I totally would.)

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Dominika said:
The upper one is silly — "Look at me! I'm humble!" while the second one is too busy visually.

But you're allowed to like things other people don't like. 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Arachne said:
Dominika said:
I like the second one, but I don't wear white tops.

(On the other hand, tees with Orthodox stuff in Cyrillic or Arabic script, I totally would.)
"You probably don't even understand it.  It's the "Our Father" prayer in traditional script.  Now off with you."