• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

School future.

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
As this school term comes to an end, I'm entering the twilight of my current batch of studies.  So, that means over the next 12 months or so, I will (while slowly wrapping up the end of this degree) be trying to hash out a research proposal for entrance into graduate school.  To those of you with research-based Masters or Doctorates, I have no idea how you manage to focus on only one or two areas of a subject/field you are undoubtedly passionate about.  Computability, machine learning, bioinformatics, parallel computing, cloud computing, computational logic, etc., I'd need infinite lifetimes to cover even a fraction of my interests.  :laugh:  If you have the chance, keep me in your thoughts while I try to narrow down a topic, and plan out my (hopeful) future research.

Thanks!

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
As this school term comes to an end, I'm entering the twilight of my current batch of studies.  So, that means over the next 12 months or so, I will (while slowly wrapping up the end of this degree) be trying to hash out a research proposal for entrance into graduate school.  To those of you with research-based Masters or Doctorates, I have no idea how you manage to focus on only one or two areas of a subject/field you are undoubtedly passionate about.  Computability, machine learning, bioinformatics, parallel computing, cloud computing, computational logic, etc., I'd need infinite lifetimes to cover even a fraction of my interests.  :laugh:  If you have the chance, keep me in your thoughts while I try to narrow down a topic, and plan out my (hopeful) future research.

Thanks!
Write a dissertation proposal.  Put it aside. After a while, pick it up and read it.  See what you want to expand.  Write a second proposal on that point.  Repeat process.  You'll get a feel of what you want to do, and how to present it.

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
ialmisry said:
Write a dissertation proposal.  Put it aside. After a while, pick it up and read it.  See what you want to expand.  Write a second proposal on that point.  Repeat process.  You'll get a feel of what you want to do, and how to present it.
Thanks for the advice.

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Steven Jay Gould said that the way to go after it is find someone you really want to study with and let guide you. Let me tell you, I blew that one in a big way, and really regretted it in the end.

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
Lord, have mercy!

I am afraid I do not have much advice because when I was in graduate school (in the former USSR), the custom was simply that your graduate advisor gives you a topic and that's it. :)

My daughter is in the same boat as you are. She is free to pick her own Ph.D. thesis topic and she has been "doing" it for months and months already...