• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

School, health and behavior suffer when children have TV, video games in bedroom

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Douglas Gentile, lead author and professor of psychology, says the research shows location really does matter. When there was a TV or video games in the bedroom, children spent less time reading, sleeping or participating in other activities, which had a ripple effect on several outcomes. As a result, these children did not do as well in school and were at greater risk for obesity and video game addiction, Gentile said.
While this study looked specifically at TVs and video games in the bedroom, Gentile expects the effects to be the same, if not stronger, given the access children now have to digital devices.
"It's a lot easier for parents to never allow a TV in the bedroom than it is to take it out," he said. "It's a question every parent must face, but there is a simple two-letter answer. That two-letter answer is tough, but it is worth it."

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Same goes for adults.

Daniel2:47

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR GB
Plus if you live in the UK you have to pay a TV tax to support a biased journalistic monopoly. Another reason not to have a TV in your child's bedroom - avoid the brainwashing.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Daniel2:47 said:
Plus if you live in the UK you have to pay a TV tax to support a biased journalistic monopoly. Another reason not to have a TV in your child's bedroom - avoid the brainwashing.
Because kids just can't wait to come home from school to tune in to News at Five. ::)

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR GB
Arachne said:
Because kids just can't wait to come home from school to tune in to News at Five. ::)
:p Well the "BBC Worldview" is present in pretty much of all of the broadcasting, rather than just the news, but yes the news is the most obvious example of their bias

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I'm not sure our set-up in the US is any better, though.  As far as I understand it, ratings drive endorsements, which leads to outlets trying to be the first and most sensational, no matter how sloppy the presentation or inaccurate the representation.  And we have bias in spades.  :-\

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Arachne said:
:p Well the "BBC Worldview" is present in pretty much of all of the broadcasting, rather than just the news, but yes the news is the most obvious example of their bias
All countries with national broadcasters (pretty much all of Europe and a lot of the rest of the world) make sure said broadcasters get taxpayer money. In the UK it's the TV licence, in Greece it's incorporated in the electricity bill, hence impossible not to pay. No special snowflakes anywhere.

On the other hand, since it's children we're focusing on, brainwashing through news is very, very far down on the list of things you need to worry about. Making sure what they watch is age-appropriate and doesn't keep them up too late at night is what matters.

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Arachne said:
Same goes for adults.
+1

Having a television in the bedroom is a very bad idea in general, not just for kids. Its a killer for marriage in particular.

I don't know how many parents I've known that have said their kids aren't capable of falling asleep without having the TV on. Scientific studies have overwhelmingly said that falling asleep to the television is a bad idea. The closest we've come to using the TV to have children fall asleep was our son Taz. Back when he couldn't fall asleep due to neurological issues, we would put on nature scene videos like https://movingart.com in order to get his brain to slow down. He had epilepsy, and I did a bunch of research on the subject before we went that route. Apparently watching nature before falling asleep is very healthy for the brain and can help seizure activity a great deal. We basically lived next to the freeway, so he never got to experience silence until we moved out on our current 5 acres. I think the constant stream of freeway noise was preventing him from falling asleep, and the videos helped. There were also some videos of streams with birdsong on YouTube that we'd put on for him so he'd sleep. For whatever reason he couldn't slip into the deeper stages of sleep when we lived in Seattle unless we put on nature sounds. If the video of nature sounds ended, he'd wake up once he heard the freeway again. Now that we live in the country he sleeps much deeper, and wakes rested.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR GB
Arachne said:
Arachne said:
All countries with national broadcasters (pretty much all of Europe and a lot of the rest of the world) make sure said broadcasters get taxpayer money. In the UK it's the TV licence, in Greece it's incorporated in the electricity bill, hence impossible not to pay. No special snowflakes anywhere.

On the other hand, since it's children we're focusing on, brainwashing through news is very, very far down on the list of things you need to worry about. Making sure what they watch is age-appropriate and doesn't keep them up too late at night is what matters.
I wasn't talking about news content for children, I meant that there was a set of cultural values (i.e. liberal, anti-Christian ones) that finds its way into most BBC programming - children's as well as everything else. Thankfully I don't watch live TV whatsoever so have happily unplugged from that horrible organisation

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Arachne said:
Arachne said:

I wasn't talking about news content for children, I meant that there was a set of cultural values (i.e. liberal, anti-Christian ones) that finds its way into most BBC programming - children's as well as everything else. Thankfully I don't watch live TV whatsoever so have happily unplugged from that horrible organisation
Suit yourself. I find CBBC productions excellent for children (and grownups as well; what would I do without my Horrible Histories fixes?) - far superior to what I grew up with. That doesn't mean I'd let my kid watch at all hours. Work first, entertainment after.