• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

SDMPNS's Concerns about Metropolitan Jonah

iustinos

Reaction score
It's interesting to note that Archbishop Peter is familiar with, and references, Met. Maximos of Sardis, but comes to a different conclusion.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Starlight said:
. Also, IMHO, it will be more practical and efficient if such new missionary Dioceses will be a part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate.
On the contrary, it is quite impractical.  The Church of Constantinople is bankrupt.  It needs support itself, from Greece and from America.

Here in New Zealand our last Greek Metropolitan was an absolutely wonderful man who found that none of his hopes for the development of the diocese could be realised because there was no support from Constantinople.  He had great talant but no way of building up the diocese.  In less than 2 years he left and he now lives in Greece.

The new Metropolitan is also a wonderful man but he too suffers immensely from the lack of support from Constantinople.  What he is doing is spending a few months a year back in Greece and on Rhodes where he goes cap in hand, seeking money for his diocese.

By way of contrast, the Russian Church is well situated to fund and support activities abroad.  In 2003 a special organisation was created whose work is to channel money abroad to dioceses and parishes and cultural organisations which need assistance.

welkodox

Archon
Reaction score
What he is doing is spending a few months a year back in Greece and on Rhodes where he goes cap in hand, seeking money for his diocese.
Reminds me of a certain parable.

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
Irish Hermit said:
The new Metropolitan is also a wonderful man but he too suffers immensely from the lack of support from Constantinople.  What he is doing is spending a few months a year back in Greece and on Rhodes where he goes cap in hand, seeking money for his diocese.

By way of contrast, the Russian Church is well situated to fund and support activities abroad.  In 2003 a special organisation was created whose work is to channel money abroad to dioceses and parishes and cultural organisations which need assistance.
Heaven forbid the patriarch go to Greece where he has dioceses of his own for support.  ::)
Your continuing jihad against Constantinople is evident...I don't recall Christ being rich; I don't expect His Great Church to be either.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Αριστοκλής said:
[Heaven forbid the patriarch go to Greece where he has dioceses of his own for support.  ::)
Your continuing jihad against Constantinople is evident...I don't recall Christ being rich; I don't expect His Great Church to be either.
Somebody said:  "...it will be more practical and efficient if such new missionary Dioceses will be a part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate."

I pointed out that it was more practical to place missionary work under Moscow which has greater resources and finances, much more laity and many more clergy who can go to the mission field.

Not a jihad, my brother, but something sensible and adapted to reality today.

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
Irish Hermit said:
I pointed out that it was more practical to place missionary work under Moscow which has greater resources and finances, much more laity and many more clergy who can go to the mission field.
Purportedly greater resources and finances, and more clergy and laity (so they claim) all of which would be available AFTER the Russians catechize themselves, again? Then the 80-90 million Turks await missioning...exactly a big reason the patriarch remains.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Αριστοκλής said:
Irish Hermit said:
Purportedly greater resources and finances, and more clergy and laity (so they claim) all of which would be available AFTER the Russians catechize themselves, again? Then the 80-90 million Turks await missioning...exactly a big reason the patriarch remains.
Dear Aristoklis,

As we have heard from ozgeorge, the holy elder Paisios (and others) have prophesied that Russia will invade Turkey and take Constantinople.  After these events I would imagine it will be the time of missionising when the Gospel is finally offered to the Turks.  God grant it.

welkodox

Archon
Reaction score
That is one of the funniest things I have read in a while.  Very good.  :D

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Serbian Orthodox Church - Midwest
Irish Hermit said:
Αριστοκλής said:
Irish Hermit said:
Dear Aristoklis,

As we have heard from ozgeorge, the holy elder Paisios (and others) have prophesied that Russia will invade Turkey and take Constantinople.   After these events I would imagine it will be the time of missionising when the Gospel is finally offered to the Turks.  God grant it.
Not to be rude or anything but outside of Georgia and maybe some other small surrounding countries, I don't think Russia is going to invade anything.....

-Nick

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
admiralnick said:
Irish Hermit said:
Dear Aristoklis,

As we have heard from ozgeorge, the holy elder Paisios (and others) have prophesied that Russia will invade Turkey and take Constantinople.   After these events I would imagine it will be the time of missionising when the Gospel is finally offered to the Turks.  God grant it.
Not to be rude or anything but outside of Georgia and maybe some other small surrounding countries, I don't think Russia is going to invade anything.....
Not to mention an invasion of Turkey which, probably, would spur attacks by Muslim groups and possibly Middle Eastern Nations, and which would push the nation into the Muslim-governance camp (as some of the wars with Russia have done to other nations).

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
AMM said:
That is one of the funniest things I have read in a while.   Very good.   :D
It's kind of upsetting that you find the prophecies of Greece's holy elders funny.  Ozgeorge has referred to this particular prophecy a couple of times.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
cleveland said:
Not to mention an invasion of Turkey which, probably, would spur attacks by Muslim groups and possibly Middle Eastern Nations, and which would push the nation into the Muslim-governance camp (as some of the wars with Russia have done to other nations).
I don't pretend to understand the mechanics of the fulfilment of the prophecies of holy Greek elders of last century.  Ozgeorge would have a much greater understanding and could explain them to us.  Somebody else whose name eludes me was writing about these propheces too.

welkodox

Archon
Reaction score
You certainly aren't going to find me cheering on the start of WWIII, even if somebody calls in it advance; whether it's a monk somewhere or Jack Van Impe.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
AMM said:
You certainly aren't going to find me cheering on the start of WWIII, even if somebody calls in it advance; whether it's a monk somewhere or Jack Van Impe.
Well, I'm not cheering it on either.  But if these Greek prophecies are genuine then it is ce sera sera and get out of the way of the tanks.   If memory serves, the Greek Saints say that 1/2 (or is it 1/3?) of the Greek nation will be killed, which kind of points to the fact that this is going to be a really nasty event.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Irish Hermit said:
cleveland said:
I don't pretend to understand the mechanics of the fulfilment of the prophecies of holy Greek elders of last century.  Ozgeorge would have a much greater understanding and could explain them to us.  Somebody else whose name eludes me was writing about these propheces too.
I don't pretend to understand the prophecies either.  I just don't spend too much time thinking about them - live my life, and if/when they come true, then God be praised.  And if/when they don't come true, then God be praised.