• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Seeking Small/Miniature Lampada

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I am looking for a small lampada to hang in front of an icon of the mystical supper in my dining room. The icon is a decent size, but a "normal" sized lampada is too big for the space. I have on occasion been in people's houses that had a kind of "teacup" or small sized lampada, usually Russian I think, and this is just what I need. Does anyone on here have one I can purchase from them, or can you all post some links to ones available for purchase that are not too gaudy or cheap looking? Thanks for any help.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
I am looking for a small lampada to hang in front of an icon of the mystical supper in my dining room. The icon is a decent size, but a "normal" sized lampada is too big for the space. I have on occasion been in people's houses that had a kind of "teacup" or small sized lampada, usually Russian I think, and this is just what I need. Does anyone on here have one I can purchase from them, or can you all post some links to ones available for purchase that are not too gaudy or cheap looking? Thanks for any help.
Many of the ecclesiastical wares which come from Greek suppliers are of quality varying from questionable to unusable. I hear Russian stuff tends to be better-made.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LBK said:
Many of the ecclesiastical wares which come from Greek suppliers are of quality varying from questionable to unusable.
Absolutely!  It is sad.

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
If you are tight on money; want one right now and don't want to wait for shipping, you could run down to walmart and pick up a drop candle holder, an ornate chain and outdoor plant hook.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IXOYE said:
LBK said:
Many of the ecclesiastical wares which come from Greek suppliers are of quality varying from questionable to unusable.
Absolutely!  It is sad.
I've never been disappointed by Panagiotis Nioras' Scent of Byzantium wares (link is to their ebay storefront because it's easier to navigate than their original site). Shipping from Greece takes time, and stuff is not cheap, but there's enough variety that you may find something suitable.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Arachne said:
IXOYE said:
LBK said:
Absolutely!  It is sad.
I've never been disappointed by Panagiotis Nioras' Scent of Byzantium wares (link is to their ebay storefront because it's easier to navigate than their original site). Shipping from Greece takes time, and stuff is not cheap, but there's enough variety that you may find something suitable.
Thank you, Arachne!  I have often come across Panagiotis Nioras' ebay site and the main website, but shipping seemed a little high and I had no reference as to the quality of their wares until now.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Here are some sites I've found:

http://www.easterngiftshop.com/Category/VigilLamp

https://www.archangelsbooks.com/products.asp?cat=Hanging+Lampadas

http://www.easternchristiansupply.biz/-#supplies/c37/c96/c70

These are small, but really expensive:
http://nwbstudios.com/products/vigil_lamps.html

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
LizaSymonenko said:
88Devin12 said:
$775!   Wow!  They ARE expensive.

You can make something similar, albeit less ornate, with materials found in any decent Home Depot.  I have such a lamp hanging in front of the icon in my living room. 

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
LizaSymonenko said:
88Devin12 said:

You can make something similar, albeit less ornate, with materials found in any decent Home Depot.  I have such a lamp hanging in front of the icon in my living room. 
you could go into the lamp making business. Sell to people here on oc.net mor

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
$775 for that?? Even if it were solid sterling silver, that's far too expensive. It isn't even a "cup" shape, which is more difficult to manufacture, it's simply a pressed/stamped strip which has been curved and joined, with fins joined to it to attach the chains. Quite straightforward for a metal shop to make.

You can make something similar, albeit less ornate, with materials found in any decent Home Depot.
Indeed.

The church I attend has twenty-five hanging lamps in the nave. Only three came from church supply outlets. The rest were made over the years from various items, and, in most cases, the finished lamps and their chains were then gold-plated. Most of the lamps over the icons of the iconostasis were made from modified brass bedknobs, which have a "twist" pattern, a couple are made from light galleries. They are simple, but as beautiful as any lamp from a church supplier, and much sturdier. They've served their purpose for more than sixty years, and with simple maintenance, will last indefinitely.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
jewish voice said:
Mor Ephrem said:
LizaSymonenko said:
88Devin12 said:

you could go into the lamp making business. Sell to people here on oc.net mor
Genius!

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
LizaSymonenko said:
88Devin12 said:
$775!   Wow!  They ARE expensive.

I'm astonished by the price. Last summer I bought in Belgrade a pretty lampada (kandilo in Serbian) as a wedding gift for my Polish Orthodox friends and it was just....  20-25 euros (in Poland it would be much more expensive, for sure). And it was a certificated patriarchal shop. So it's cheaper go to Serbian and buy the stuff than ordering the one above :p

Edit: I've found a link presenting the lamps in very modest prices, but I don't think they're so beautiful and don't know if it may be sent to US http://www.crkveniproizvodi.com/146/Stona-kucna-kandila.html

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I have no idea why the lamps in that site are so expensive. I know they make it themselves, and they base it off of historical precedents. But $775 for something like that is really nuts.

I love both the more "modern" gold/bronze lampadas and the iron/bronze ancient ones. But I don't see why the simpler ones based on ancient precedents would cost so much more than the gold/bronze ones that are extremely ornate.

My church has two lampadas for sale in our bookstore, one is for around $65 and the other is $85. Both are far more ornate and complex than that $775 one, and I think they are bronze.

The products I love from New World Byzantine Studios are:

http://nwbstudios.com/chandeliers/byzantine-cross-chandelier.html

http://nwbstudios.com/chandeliers/choros.html

But i have no clue why they should be so expensive, being much more simple than complex bronze/gold ones.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Those lamps are for people with Hyperdox Convertitis.

'You just HAVE to have a lampada in your icon corner for things to be -right-, and you want to be properly Orthodox now don't you?'

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I cheated.

I worry about leaving a lit flame when nobody is home.

So......I got an electric one.

$27

Works like a charm....and I can see my icons even in the dead of night.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:

'You just HAVE to have a lampada in your icon corner for things to be -right-, and you want to be properly Orthodox now don't you?'
Wait, people with lampadas at home are hyperdox converts?

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Having Lampadas at home is nothing.  I collect priests vesrments and liturgical books as a hobby.  I have a full Byzantine set from the Ukraine, several Roman chasubles, a bizarre mitre of Old Believer origin, and am awaiting two vestments from Pulickal Brothers.  I loan and give my vestments away to needy priests in my area, so it's a charitable hobby.  The liturgical books are mine and mine alone, however; I have chosen them to be buried with me for my use in the second life.*  These include a Triodion, Supplement to the Triodion,a. Further supplement, a Pentecostarion, a Festal memaion and a Nassar five pounder on the Byzantine side, a standard a Euchologion and Deacons Service book on the Syriac side, a Euchologion, Agpeya and a beautifully bound collection of Holy Week Services somewhat better arranged than the Triodion on the Coptic side, plus some BCPs, a Tridentine Missal, and the Liturgy of Addai and Mari in English and East Syriac.

*I am not actually a believer in the ancient Egyptian religion and have no wish to be mummified.  However, I will say Id love to write a story about an evil worshipper of the old Gods, perhaps Seth, posing as a Coptic Priest, until he is rooted out by the heroic bishop.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
DeniseDenise said:

Wait, people with lampadas at home are hyperdox converts?
No. People with 800 dollar ones. That look rather like ones that are not 800 dollars.  ;)

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
wgw said:
Having Lampadas at home is nothing.  I collect priests vesrments and liturgical books as a hobby.  I have a full Byzantine set from the Ukraine, several Roman chasubles, a bizarre mitre of Old Believer origin, and am awaiting two vestments from Pulickal Brothers.  I loan and give my vestments away to needy priests in my area, so it's a charitable hobby.  The liturgical books are mine and mine alone, however; I have chosen them to be buried with me for my use in the second life.*  These include a Triodion, Supplement to the Triodion,a. Further supplement, a Pentecostarion, a Festal memaion and a Nassar five pounder on the Byzantine side, a standard a Euchologion and Deacons Service book on the Syriac side, a Euchologion, Agpeya and a beautifully bound collection of Holy Week Services somewhat better arranged than the Triodion on the Coptic side, plus some BCPs, a Tridentine Missal, and the Liturgy of Addai and Mari in English and East Syriac.

*I am not actually a believer in the ancient Egyptian religion and have no wish to be mummified.  However, I will say Id love to write a story about an evil worshipper of the old Gods, perhaps Seth, posing as a Coptic Priest, until he is rooted out by the heroic bishop.
I'm having a "yikes!" moment...

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
wgw said:

Have you heard of Jakub Wędrowycz*?

unfortunately no idea whether books about him were translated into English but it's a good read

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
Alveus- I don't know if you found what you were looking for but I found this yesterday:

http://m.shopwildthings.com/hacaho3setof.html

It's very simple and the price is good. :p I just ordered two, I'm curious to see them when they get here.
Update, since I finally got around to installing these. I used the hanging candle holders linked above, plus these hooks from Lowe's, and made for myself two lampadas:

All together, each lampada was less than $10 and I'm pretty happy with it.