Serbian Patriarch Irinei has celebrated Hannukah in a synagogue

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Serbian Patriach Ireneos took part at Chanukah celebrations at the Synagogue in Belgrade, and lit a candle on the menorah along with the Grand Mufti and a Roman Catholic Bishop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dtvLKZK7aU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So much for Serbia as a bastion of traditional Orthodoxy...

I wonder what stashko will think of this? Serbian Orthodox praying with Jews AND CATHOLICS!!! Apocalypse beast antichrist 666 is here, and the Serbs have the barcodes to show it on their foreheads.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
I don't see why stashko would have any problem with Orthodox hanging out with Jews and, God forbid, Catholics. ;D

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Serbian Patriach Ireneos took part at Chanukah celebrations at the Synagogue in Belgrade, and lit a candle on the menorah along with the Grand Mufti and a Roman Catholic Bishop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what stashko will think of this? Serbian Orthodox praying with Jews AND CATHOLICS!!! Apocalypse beast antichrist 666 is here, and the Serbs have the barcodes to show it on their foreheads.
Are you serious?

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I'm not totally Against Dialogue, with other faiths , concelebrating with them is another story though.... ;D  So your saying serbs have the satanic barcodes on there foreheads .....It was mentioned on other treads that the New Serbian Patriarch is a big ecumenist....

Alveus Lacuna said:

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:

I'm feeling close to barfing.  :-X

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
deusveritasest said:
Alveus Lacuna said:

Yeah, how dare some one celebrate something from the Old Testament.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
deusveritasest said:
Alveus Lacuna said:

For one thing, where is Hannukah in the Old Testament?

But anyway, it being a pre-Christian celebration is not the issue. The Patriarch praying with heathens is the issue.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Alveus Lacuna said:

Concelebration of Hanukah may be like a positive step depending on the view of the Church. Additionally, the repercussions are mindblowing.

A) Is Hanukah an ancient Judaic holiday like Passover that the early 1st-2nd century Church would have celebrated?

B) "along with the Grand Mufti" - at least now there is an easy showing that Islam can be fully tolerant and peaceful, and an easy reply to any claim that Islam is somehow by nature a threat.

C) What is the background to the concelebration?

Regards.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
deusveritasest said:
Papist said:
deusveritasest said:
Alveus Lacuna said:

But anyway, it being a pre-Christian celebration is not the issue. The Patriarch praying with heathens is the issue.
Define "praying with".

jnorm888

Archon
Reaction score
Website
ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com
deusveritasest said:
Papist said:
deusveritasest said:
Alveus Lacuna said:

I'm feeling close to barfing.  :-X
Maccabees

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
jnorm888 said:
deusveritasest said:
Papist said:
Maccabees
I think Maccabees is in the Orthodox Church's semi-canonical (or "deuterocanonical") Old Testament Apocrypha. It isn't in the Canonical Old Testament in Judaism, referred to as the Tanakh.

But still, Maccabees may describe Judaic customs in pre-Christian times.

Regards.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
deusveritasest said:
Papist said:
deusveritasest said:
Alveus Lacuna said:

Define "praying with".
The Patriarch:

1. Was in a synagogue
2. During a prayer service of the "Jewish" apostates
3. He lit a candle at the menorah, that sort of act being understood as an act of prayer in Orthodox spirituality

The only piece missing is actually seeing his lips moving along with the heathens.

And I don't think it would get him off the hook even if he did not.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
jnorm888 said:
deusveritasest said:
Papist said:
deusveritasest said:
Alveus Lacuna said:

Maccabees
Which book and where in it?

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
There was a Serbian Bishop Irinej in cahoots with the Serbian Bishop Dionisija that split the Serbian Church, From the Mother Church In Belgrad by creating the free Serbian Orthodox Church ....

I'm Just wondering if history will repeat itself, and this Newly Elected Serbian Patriarch Irinej will cause a split in the near future, Pro ecumenism and Anti Ecumenism ........ ;) time will tell i guess......Plus they should never of elected a new Patriarch with the name Irinej or Dionisija,  those name created quite a few problems for unity of the church....

jnorm888

Archon
Reaction score
Website
deusveritasest said:
jnorm888 said:
deusveritasest said:
Papist said:
deusveritasest said:
Alveus Lacuna said:

Maccabees
It's been a long time since I read Maccabees, but I always thought Hannukah was based on what the Maccabees did.

jnorm888

Archon
Reaction score
Website
rakovsky said:
jnorm888 said:
deusveritasest said:
Papist said:
Maccabees
I think Maccabees is in the Orthodox Church's semi-canonical (or "deuterocanonical") Old Testament Apocrypha. It isn't in the Canonical Old Testament in Judaism, referred to as the Tanakh.

Regards.
The Slavonic rite might call it Deuterocanical, but I thought the Byzantine rite didn't make a distinction between the books.

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
augustin717 said:
Are you serious?
About barcode antichrist 666?

Nope.
Clarification Please...
Are you saying the Patriarch of Serbija and all the ecumenist clergy and Faithful with him  ,have this barcode 666 on their forehead...

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
jnorm888 said:
rakovsky said:
jnorm888 said:
deusveritasest said:
Papist said:
Maccabees

Regards.
The Slavonic rite might call it Deuterocanical, but I thought the Byzantine rite didn't make a distinction between the books.
I was unaware that any Orthodox at all considered them "Deuterocanonical." I thought they were just plain canonical.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
jnorm888 said:
deusveritasest said:
jnorm888 said:
deusveritasest said:
Papist said:
deusveritasest said:
Alveus Lacuna said:

Maccabees
It's been a long time since I read Maccabees, but I always thought Hannukah was based on what the Maccabees did.
Well, in a broad sense, yes. But specifically Hannukah is about the story of the restoration of the Temple when they only had enough oil to light the Menorah for one day, which was not going to be enough time for them to make more oil. However, miraculously, the flame stayed lit for eight days, and they managed to make more oil in time for the flame to not go out.

I haven't heard of that story specifically and explicitly being in the Bible, even if in the apocrypha.

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
deusveritasest said:
jnorm888 said:
deusveritasest said:
jnorm888 said:
deusveritasest said:
Papist said:
deusveritasest said:
Alveus Lacuna said:

Maccabees
Well, in a broad sense, yes. But specifically Hannukah is about the story of the restoration of the Temple when they only had enough oil to light the Menorah for one day, which was not going to be enough time for them to make more oil. However, miraculously, the flame stayed lit for eight days, and they managed to make more oil in time for the flame to not go out.

I haven't heard of that story specifically and explicitly being in the Bible, even if in the apocrypha.
Our Lord observed it.

John 10:22-24 At that time the Feast of the Dedication took place at Jerusalem; it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple in the portico of Solomon.The Jews then gathered around Him, and were saying to Him, “How long will You keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”

(Which proves He didn't believe in Sola Scriptura!!)

Ebenezer

Reaction score
So, because this high up guy hungout with some Jews and lit a candle, suddenly him and all those who follow him are antichrists? I don't get what the big deal is, seems slightly anti-Semitic to me. Did he say for his parishioners to celebrate chanukkah as frum Jews do, each and every time the 25th of Kislev comes round? Did he say anything contrary to Christian Orthodoxy? Did he do anything wrong here? Really? To me, it seems like him and this Mufti, were there as a sign that the Christian and Muslim community supports the existance of Serbian Jews and that they should be free to do so without restriction just like Orthodox Christian should be free to celebrate the Christian holidays and just like Muslims should be free to celebrate their holidays as well.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Rufus said:
Our Lord observed it.

John 10:22-24 At that time the Feast of the Dedication took place at Jerusalem; it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple in the portico of Solomon.The Jews then gathered around Him, and were saying to Him, “How long will You keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”
OK, but that's not the OT, which is what we were originally discussing.

Rufus said:
(Which proves He didn't believe in Sola Scriptura!!)
Hehe.  :)

The Second Temple itself proves that God doesn't uphold Sola Scriptura, because if He did He would not have endorsed a Temple which did not fulfill the Law.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Ebenezer said:
So, because this high up guy hungout with some Jews
He didn't simply hang out with them. There's nothing wrong with hanging out with those apostates who like to be called Jews but are not really in the Biblical sense. Rather, what is wrong is that not only did he enter a synagogue, but he did so during one of their heathen services, and...

Ebenezer said:
and lit a candle,
as I specified before, in Orthodox liturgiology/spirituality, lighting a candle is understood as an act of prayer, and therefore he at least prayed with them in this implicit manner, if not, most likely, he prayed with them explicitly. Praying with heretics in their communal services is strictly forbidden. These are not even heretics, they are heathens.

Ebenezer said:
suddenly him and all those who follow him are antichrists?
No. I wouldn't dare lay that guilt on all of those in his Patriarchate just because of him. But what he did most certainly was antichrist, yes.

Ebenezer said:
I don't get what the big deal is, seems slightly anti-Semitic to me.
Well, I would be just as shocked (or maybe perhaps more so) if this sort of thing had happened in a Buddhist temple. Just because I am not exalting them to be just about equal to Christians as the modern world does does not mean I hate or fear them or have unreasonable bias against them.

Ebenezer said:
Did he say anything contrary to Christian Orthodoxy? Did he do anything wrong here? Really?
Yes, like I said, this sort of inter-communal prayer is forbidden. It's bad enough to do it among schismatics or heretics, but here we see it done essentially with heathens.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
The Feast of Hanukkah celebrates the successful end of the war of Judas
Macabbeus against the Seleucid Empire (read Macabbees) which held Israel in
bondage and which had forbidden all true worship.   Synagogue worship and
temple worship had ceased under Seleucid rule.

So this day is their Memorial Day to celebrate their victory over their
enemies.

All nations have these days.

In New Zealand we have ANZAC  Day.  In Great Britain they have V Day and
Remembrance Sunday,  France has Armistice Day  and I am sure Americans have
something similar.

In this country there is a ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier where
dignitaries (including religious figures) lay wreaths and light a candle.

In the case of the Jews the victory of Judas Macabbeus involves candles
since one of the first things he did after winning the war was to go into
the empty and unused temple and light a candle.  It was a highly symbolic
gesture of the return of freedom and true worship to Israel.  This Jewish
holyday lasts for 8 days and it begins exactly on the day when the war
ceased.

Hierom. Ambrose

Our Saviour is recorded as being at the Temple for this special Victory
Day. See John 10:22-23

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
deusveritasest said:
....as I specified before, in Orthodox liturgiology/spirituality, lighting a candle is understood as an act of prayer....
Lighting a candle is an act of prayer? Is this an Oriental Orthodox idea, or also Eastern Orthodox?

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
deusveritasest said:
....as I specified before, in Orthodox liturgiology/spirituality, lighting a candle is understood as an act of prayer....
Lighting a candle is an act of prayer? Is this an Oriental Orthodox idea, or also Eastern Orthodox?
I have heard it from 3 different churches I have been to a number of times, two of them being EO (GOAA and OCA) and the other being Armenian OO.

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
deusveritasest said:
those apostates who like to be called Jews but are not really in the Biblical sense.
Funny you should say that, because in the Bible the unbelieving Israelites are called Jews on a regular basis. Same thing in the Fathers.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Ebenezer said:
I don't get what the big deal is, seems slightly anti-Semitic to me.

...as a sign that the Christian and Muslim community supports the existance of Serbian Jews and that they should be free to do so without restriction just like Orthodox Christian should be free to celebrate the Christian holidays
Ebenezer,

Hello, friend.

There really isn't any anti-semitism inherent in criticism of the concelebration. It simply has been rare in recent centuries for Church leaders to celebrate in services led by nonChristians. Orthodox Christianity is about going back to the early Church and the True faith. Discussion, questioning, criticism are healthy parts of the Church so that we can discover the Truth.

Well, I guess I can wish you a Happy Feast of the Dedication now.

Still, I would like to know more about the Church's traditional view of the Feast of the Dedication.

My personal view is that the prayer in the nonChristian synagogue was ok. St Paul and the apostles preached in synagogues and prayed in the Temple, for which some of them were attacked by the nonChristians.

So I think that prayer in the synagogues is ok by Church leaders if the particular celebration was in fact a celebration that early Christians participated in, which apparently includes the Feast of the Dedication, from John's Gospel. (Although is it clear if Jesus was in fact celebrating in the Temple for the Feast?)

One reason for qualifying blanket approval is that some customs in Judaism developed after, and separate from Christianity.

Ebenezer

Reaction score
Well, I can understand that perhaps according to orthodox Christian tradition he did something wrong however calling my people heathens and all this seems a tad unnecessary and to be quite frank, offensive. I am trying to be understanding of your traditions, as I am seeking to convert but to call people like my parents, grandparents and so forth heathens and all this is offensive. Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding you though.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Ebenezer said:
Well, I can understand that perhaps according to orthodox Christian tradition he did something wrong however calling my people heathens and all this seems a tad unnecessary and to be quite frank, offensive. I am trying to be understanding of your traditions, as I am seeking to convert but to call people like my parents, grandparents and so forth heathens and all this is offensive. Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding you though.
There's only a few extremists around here that will call people heathens.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
"Chanukkah is not a very important religious holiday. The holiday's religious significance is far less than that of Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, Passover, and Shavu'ot. It is roughly equivalent to Purim in significance, and you won't find many non-Jews who have even heard of Purim! Chanukkah is not mentioned in Jewish scripture; the story is related in the book of Maccabees, which Jews do not accept as scripture."

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedication

Wikipedia doesn't seem to match the Feast of the Dedication with Chanukkah, which is a separate entry.

Ebenezer:

Ebenezer said:
Well, if it makes you feel better, my grandparents and so forth were heathens too.  :D

All the best, friend.

Jetavan,
Jetavan said:
The usual definition of 'heathen' is 'one who holds a religious belief which is neither Christian, Jewish, nor Muslim; a pagan.'
So my ancestors were pagans after all.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Papist said:
Ebenezer said:
Very strange to hear Jews referred to as "heathens". The usual definition of 'heathen' is 'one who holds a religious belief which is neither Christian, Jewish, nor Muslim; a pagan.'

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
Papist said:
Ebenezer said:
Very strange to hear Jews referred to as "heathens". The usual definition of 'heathen' is 'one who holds a religious belief which is neither Christian, Jewish, nor Muslim; a pagan.'
Indeed; in traditional English Bibles such as the King James, "heathen" is used to translate Goyim/Ammim/ta Ethni, i.e. non-Israelites.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
deusveritasest said:
In this instance, lighting a candle is an act of thanksgiving for the liberation of the People of God from enemy occupation - an occupation by enemies which had closed down temple worship and synagogue worship.

People overlook the fact that this was OUR temple and OUR worship - the true worship desired by God before the incarnation of His Son.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
"Chanukkah is not a very important religious holiday. The holiday's religious significance is far less than that of Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, Passover, and Shavu'ot. It is roughly equivalent to Purim in significance, and you won't find many non-Jews who have even heard of Purim! Chanukkah is not mentioned in Jewish scripture; the story is related in the book of Maccabees, which Jews do not accept as scripture."
Not now they don't. But in Christ's time they did. The fact that they celebrate Hanukkah when its scriptural warrant is only in Maccabbees shows that.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
stashko said:
Clarification Please...
Are you saying the Patriarch of Serbija and all the ecumenist clergy and Faithful with him  ,have this barcode 666 on their forehead...
I would never be so bold as to seriously say such a thing. I was only baptized into the Serbian Church this last Dormition of the Mother of God, some several months ago. Who am I to judge our Patriarch for this small thing? If this is an error on his part then may God correct him, but may God have mercy on us all and guide us all! Sarcasm is often hard to detect over the internet. I was just predicting the response from certain people.

FatherHLL

Archon
Reaction score
The first Hannukah took place ca. 164 BC.  Ironically the event is recorded in a book of the Bible retained by the Orthodox Church but deleted by the Masoretes and the present day rabbinic Jews

1 Maccabees 4:36-59
Then said Judas and his brothers, "Behold, our enemies are crushed; let us go up to cleanse the sanctuary and dedicate it."  So all the army assembled and they went up to Mount Zion.  And they saw the sanctuary desolate, the altar profaned, and the gates burned. In the courts they saw bushes sprung up as in a thicket, or as on one of the mountains. They saw also the chambers of the priests in ruins.  Then they rent their clothes, and mourned with great lamentation, and sprinkled themselves with ashes.  They fell face down on the ground, and sounded the signal on the trumpets, and cried out to Heaven.
Then Judas detailed men to fight against those in the citadel until he had cleansed the sanctuary.  He chose blameless priests devoted to the law,  and they cleansed the sanctuary and removed the defiled stones to an unclean place.
They deliberated what to do about the altar of burnt offering, which had been profaned.  And they thought it best to tear it down, lest it bring reproach upon them, for the Gentiles had defiled it. So they tore down the altar,  and stored the stones in a convenient place on the temple hill until there should come a prophet to tell what to do with them.  Then they took unhewn stones, as the law directs, and built a new altar like the former one.
They also rebuilt the sanctuary and the interior of the temple, and consecrated the courts.  They made new holy vessels, and brought the lampstand, the altar of incense, and the table into the temple.  Then they burned incense on the altar and lighted the lamps on the lampstand, and these gave light in the temple.
They placed the bread on the table and hung up the curtains. Thus they finished all the work they had undertaken.  Early in the morning on the twenty-fifth day of the ninth month, which is the month of Kislev, in the one hundred and forty-eighth year [Seleucid Era; 15 December 164],  they rose and offered sacrifice, as the law directs, on the new altar of burnt offering which they had built.  At the very season and on the very day that the Gentiles had profaned it, it was dedicated with songs and harps and lutes and cymbals.
All the people fell on their faces and worshiped and blessed Heaven, who had prospered them.  So they celebrated the dedication of the altar for eight days, and offered burnt offerings with gladness; they offered a sacrifice of deliverance and praise.  They decorated the front of the temple with golden crowns and small shields; they restored the gates and the chambers for the priests, and furnished them with doors.  There was very great gladness among the people, and the reproach of the Gentiles was removed.
Then Judas and his brothers and all the assembly of Israel determined that every year at that season the days of dedication of the altar should be observed with gladness and joy for eight days, beginning with the twenty-fifth day of the month of Kislev