• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Severian is Gone.....

Seraffa

Reaction score
Faith
Coptic Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the Southern U.S.
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( He just wrote in his pm's that he is leaving  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I never knew I would be so unhappy here, while talking about my favorite subjects.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
INB4 lock to be indefinitely reviewed.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
It is always the good poster who leave. :(

Seraffa

Reaction score
Faith
Coptic Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Maybe I pushed him to leave. I said something. Maybe I am at fault. When I said something, he was gone - just like that. Through the prayers of Fr. Lazarus Al-Antony in the desert, I hope God bestows us clarity +

lovesupreme

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
People come and go here. It's sometimes for the best. I wish Severian well in his journeys.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
Seraffa said:
Maybe I pushed him to leave. I said something. Maybe I am at fault. When I said something, he was gone - just like that. Through the prayers of Fr. Lazarus Al-Antony in the desert, I hope God bestows us clarity +
Presvytera you didn't do anything to make him leave.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
NicholasMyra said:
Seraffa said:
Oh, so she is the wife of an Armenian priest she mentioned before?

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Seraffa said:
What did you say?  ???

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Seraffa said:
As I recall, he's left and come back at least once before as have I. I doubt he's gone for good. And I agree with Nick, you aren't at fault.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
I will miss his thread resurrections. 

Oh well, he'll be back.  They always do.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Seraffa said:
People generally don't leave over a comment. He has expressed a number of times his struggle with living out his faith well in an online format.  It is probably something we should all introspectively examine to ensure we are loving those we are corresponding with. I wish the best for Severian, I like him as a poster and hope that he will be back.

Seraffa

Reaction score
Faith
Coptic Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Salpy said:
Seraffa said:
What did you say?  ???
I was talking to him about the posters who have a bad habit here on OC with sarcasm, or idling away their time in debates , or making posts to puff themselves up and look good, who don't know how to go out into the world to heal the world instead of add to sickness online here. Hevis a very smart individual and the first person I've gotten to speak to that is part of the Alexandrian patriarchate.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Seraffa said:
Salpy said:
Seraffa said:
What did you say?  ???
I was talking to him about the posters who have a bad habit here on OC with sarcasm, or idling away their time in debates , or making posts to puff themselves up and look good, who don't know how to go out into the world to heal the world instead of add to sickness online here. Hevis a very smart individual and the first person I've gotten to speak to that is part of the Alexandrian patriarchate.
You can just mention me by name. I won't be offended.  :p

Seraffa

Reaction score
Faith
Coptic Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
rakovsky said:
NicholasMyra said:
Seraffa said:
My information underneath my icon says who I am. My point with Alpo reporting him to a moderator is that if some layman like that is nosy and sarcastic towards a Priests  wife online, who already knows about the hectic life a clergy husband has, how does he expect to be anything but a sarcastic stumbling block or a gossip in real life when faced with real people around him who are patiently waiting for the Presbyter to return? My son was not raised this way and unfortunately when a person is nosy and sarcastic like that in a conversation that doesn't include them, they are showing themselves to me more of an attention seeking and sulky 3 year old child rather than thinking like an adult about other adults.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Just a couple of points to keep in mind:

1. The moderating team will not be used as a club to silence other posters. There is no need to announce in public that you will or have reported someone. If their actions are actionable, they will hear from the moderating team. Disciplinary issues are not the stuff of public deliberation.

2. Profiles are not verifiable. Anyone can put anything they want on there, present themselves as anything they will. Some people tend to take such information at face value, others tend to doubt or outright disbelieve. On top of everything else, text doesn't convey nuances very well at all, and misunderstandings, especially of intention, happen all the time, especially if there are language barriers in place. Taking things personally is just a shortcut to frustration.

That is all. Carry on.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Arachne said:
Just a couple of points to keep in mind:

1. The moderating team will not be used as a club to silence other posters. There is no need to announce in public that you will or have reported someone. If their actions are actionable, they will hear from the moderating team. Disciplinary issues are not the stuff of public deliberation.

2. Profiles are not verifiable. Anyone can put anything they want on there, present themselves as anything they will. Some people tend to take such information at face value, others tend to doubt or outright disbelieve. On top of everything else, text doesn't convey nuances very well at all, and misunderstandings, especially of intention, happen all the time, especially if there are language barriers in place. Taking things personally is just a shortcut to frustration.

That is all. Carry on.
For the record, I am actually the humble servant and spokesperson for the 14th apostle, Mor Ephrem (pbuh).

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Seraffa said:
rakovsky said:
NicholasMyra said:
Seraffa said:
My information underneath my icon says who I am. My point with Alpo reporting him to a moderator is that if some layman [ALPO] like that is nosy and sarcastic towards a Priests  wife online [SERAFFA?], who already knows about the hectic life a clergy husband has, how does he expect to be anything but a sarcastic stumbling block or a gossip in real life when faced with real people around him who are patiently waiting for the Presbyter to return?
OK, so you mean that he was sarcastic to you and you are the Armenian priest's wife?
So you are in the GOA and your husband is an Armenian in the GOA?

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Seraffa said:
rakovsky said:
NicholasMyra said:
Seraffa said:
My information underneath my icon says who I am. My point with Alpo reporting him to a moderator is that if some layman like that is nosy and sarcastic towards a Priests  wife online, who already knows about the hectic life a clergy husband has, how does he expect to be anything but a sarcastic stumbling block or a gossip in real life when faced with real people around him who are patiently waiting for the Presbyter to return? My son was not raised this way and unfortunately when a person is nosy and sarcastic like that in a conversation that doesn't include them, they are showing themselves to me more of an attention seeking and sulky 3 year old child rather than thinking like an adult about other adults.

but doing it in PM's is -soooo- much less gossipy and sarcastic?

Seraffa said:
I was talking to him about the posters who have a bad habit here on OC with sarcasm, or idling away their time in debates , or making posts to puff themselves up and look good, who don't know how to go out into the world to heal the world instead of add to sickness online here.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Seraffa said:
rakovsky said:
NicholasMyra said:
Seraffa said:
And what you do here is slandering your ex(husband) without giving any proofs or right for him to defend and criticizing other posters' way of posting withoung proving anything you write as well. How is that better?

And Alpo is actually one of the calmest and most levelled posters here. You may thirstly try to read what people write before throwing unfounded accusations all around you.

rakovsky said:
Maybe Alpo is Armenian. Or a wife of Armenian priest. Or an Armenian wife of a priest. The world is full of mysteries.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
mike said:
Seraffa said:
rakovsky said:
NicholasMyra said:
Seraffa said:
And what you do here is slandering your ex(husband) without giving any proofs or right for him to defend and criticizing other posters' way of posting withoung proving anything you write as well. How is that better?

And Alpo is actually one of the calmest and most levelled posters here. You may thirstly try to read what people write before throwing unfounded accusations all around you.

rakovsky said:
Maybe Alpo is Armenian. Or a wife of Armenian priest. Or an Armenian wife of a priest. The world is full of mysteries.
Stop this insensitive foolishness please.

Seraffa

Reaction score
Faith
Coptic Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
:) they have their right to talk -- let them. God gives everyone free will, and tongues to use.
It is evident that all here love Alpo, and I want to love him with Agape just as they do.
Alpo: I am concerned for you. Whatever this means to you; or if it doesn't mean anything to you, you can forget it. But -- since you are posting in an American based forum, I just want to remind you, Alpo, that in American, your name literally means "can of dog food." This may be something you wish to change in the future, as you post to Americans and to the world around you. That is all, and God bless you.  :)

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Seraffa said:
:) they have their right to talk -- let them. God gives everyone free will, and tongues to use.
It is evident that all here love Alpo, and I want to love him with Agape just as they do.
Alpo: I am concerned for you. Whatever this means to you; or if it doesn't mean anything to you, you can forget it. But -- since you are posting in an American based forum, I just want to remind you, Alpo, that in American, your name literally means "can of dog food." This may be something you wish to change in the future, as you post to Americans and to the world around you. That is all, and God bless you.  :)
So he wants to be thought of as a can of dog food. What's wrong with that?

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Not to quibble, but Alpo does not literally mean "can of dog food" any more than Febreeze literally means "house refresher spray for the lazy".

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
ZealousZeal said:
Not to quibble, but Alpo does not literally mean "can of dog food" any more than Febreeze literally means "house refresher spray for the lazy".
But you are talking about English. Maybe in American his nick literally means that.

Who else speaks American here and can help?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
ZealousZeal said:
PM to Fr. George to change my screen name.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
mike said:
ZealousZeal said:
But you are talking about English. Maybe in American his nick literally means that.

Alpo is a brand name.

Not a descriptive term that means 'can of dog food'

It has not yet reached the ranks of 'kleenex' or 'xerox' where the brand name takes over the meaning of the entire class of that thing.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Seraffa,

Alpo Aaltokoski Company on Vimeo
https://vimeo.com/aaltokoski
Ritualistic and earthy corporeal expressions, refined visual insight, flashes of the Finnish mindscape in modern dress and winding paths towards peace of mind.
It's a Finnish first name.

Rakovsky is also the name of a beer brand or manufacturer. Does that mean that my name means beer?

This is strange.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
ZealousZeal said:
God grant you many clones!

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
mike said:
ZealousZeal said:

It is euphemistically used to mean canned dog food, yes.  As in, "Eat Alpo during your working years so you can eat steak in your retirement years."  (approximate quote from Dave Ramsey).  This is a metaphor in and of itself, but it demonstrates how the word might be used.

However, how widespread is this use?  I'm not sure.  It's not something I hear used a lot, but when I hear it, I understand the context and others around seem to as well, for whatever a tiny sliver of society is worth.  ;)

It apparently has [an]other more nefarious use, though.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Seraffa said:
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( He just wrote in his pm's that he is leaving  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I never knew I would be so unhappy here, while talking about my favorite subjects.
I appreciated his posts, too.  Hopefully his exit is simply in his own best interest, and not a result of negative experiences.  I wish him well. 

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
bummer he had some great posts, and seem like a great guy. He will be missed.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
May God bless Severian on his journey...and may that journey lead him back to us in the future.

In the meantime....why are we picking on Alpo?  I find it offensive.  Comparing him to a 3 year old child.  I have never equated him with a can of dog food.  That is so mean.  Alpo...I hope you don't take any of this to heart.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
orthonorm has been banned, can't you all be happy for a change? Sheesh. Leaving before the party gets started Severian!

Seraffa

Reaction score
Faith
Coptic Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
nothing said:
orthonorm has been banned, can't you all be happy for a change? Sheesh. Leaving before the party gets started Severian!
Severian is gone.  >>>>>>Where is Alpo<<<<< Not a peep from him yet. He is teaching me how to lurk. Thank you, Alpo.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Seraffa said:
nothing said:
Severian is gone.  >>>>>>Where is Alpo<<<<< Not a peep from him yet.

People have these things....called a life...sometimes that means they don't check in.

Either that or all this nonsense you keep saying about him has made him decide to give you a wide berth for a while.......

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Mor Ephrem said:
Maybe he's been eaten.
I wonder if your avatar had something to do with it ;)

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
DeniseDenise said:
Seraffa said:
nothing said:

People have these things....called a life...sometimes that means they don't check in.

Either that or all this nonsense you keep saying about him has made him decide to give you a wide berth for a while.......
What a repugnant idea!

*Flexes posts per day count*

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
TheTrisagion said:
DeniseDenise said:
Seraffa said:
nothing said:

What a repugnant idea!

*Flexes posts per day count*

you do realise i said people.

clearly you are not 'people' then.....still fine for you to post... :-*