• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Shepard of Hermes

bwallace23350

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
Has anyone read it and what are your thoughts on it

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
I have. It's weird in a Pilgrim's Progress kind of way, but has some allegorical gems.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Some Fathers considered it Scripture, or quoted it as such anyway (not necessarily the same thing)... but for me, it's been too long since I read it to have an opinion on it. Another text for the tbr I suppose.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Has anyone read it and what are your thoughts on it
I read it all and went through anything about it that I didn't understand here:

While it could be from the 1st century, it looks to me like a mid-2nd century fictional writing posing as written during Clement's 1st century papacy because it talks about Clement as having the current duty of sending letters to churches.

It had a bigger impact on Western Christianity and the Muratorian canon says that it was written by Pope Pius' brother. It has a few secondary doctrinal issues like seeming to tell someone named Maximus (the pope?) to apostasize if he comes under persecution. I got into all these issues on my thread.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I am thinking of buying it and reading it and adding it to my library
It is worth having if you are going to make a collection of early church fathers. Just keep in mind that it's not scripture and has some doctrinal issues and you should read it together with a commentary like recent convert linked to.