• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

shoes off?

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
Do Coptic churches in North America and Europe expect worshipers/visitors to remove their shoes?

I'm asking this because Eritreans from the refugee center on the edge of town were invited to hold a prayer service after the regular OE service at the church I attend. About 30 came for the EO service in Finnish-Russian-English beforehand as well, all removing their shoes on entering. Those I spoke with were somewhat surprised that this is not the custom here, where the tile floor is often wet with the snow people bring in on their winter boots. So I wonder what Coptic practice is in colder climes--and if it would be possible to save Eritrean visitors here from getting cold wet feet.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
When I attended an Ethiopian liturgy in in Helsinki I was politely asked to remove my shoes. The service was celebrated in Kotikirkko.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
That's quite funny since in Egypt not in all churches (at least in cities) not all people remvoe their shoes. And it's not only for foreigners - my mother and I didn't take off the shoes - but also for the locals.

Eruvande

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
Worcestershire
I was quite surprised that the Coptic centre I visited didn't require me to remove my shoes, though I was prepared for them to.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
In old Coptic monasteries, you are asked to take off your shoes outside.  Not only the Ethiopian and Eritrean Church, but also the Malankara Church do this.

This technically should be the practice in all Coptic churches, but at the very least, when people leave their pews to partake of the Eucharist, they also leave their shoes behind and must approach the Eucharist without their shoes.

I visited a parish in California, St. Cyril, who has a convert priest, Fr. Bishoy Brownfield.  He asked me kindly to leave my shoes outside the church.  So you might run into a surprise traditionalist Coptic church.

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
Many thanks for your answers.

(Alpo, I didn't stay for the Eritrean prayer service so don't know if those Finns who did remain after the Sunday EO liturgy were asked to remove their shoes or not. No doubt there will be an opportunity for me to join them in the future and find out.)