• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Simple quick question about praying at college chapel with idols.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
There is a college chapel that has ecumenical and catholic services, and there is no orthodox church nearby. The chapel wants to reach out to all its students religions, so it puts idols at the front. Is it a bad idea to even worship and pray there?
Please anybody answer.

Thank you!

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
I would say probably find somewhere else. What sort of idols?

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
Iconodule said:
I would say probably find somewhere else. What sort of idols?
+1

Do you mean statues of polytheistic deities, etc.?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
You dont need an idol of Mammon.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Thanks, everyone.

The idea of the college is that the chapel is for the world's religions, so they have the typical heathen statues and art, like Buddhas, sleeping Vishnu, other Hindu deities, and maybe even more things like Zoroastrian or Wiccan art.
They cover them with curtains during the mass, but the idols are still kept next to the altar at the front.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
rakovsky said:
Thanks, everyone.

The idea of the college is that the chapel is for the world's religions, so they have the typical heathen statues and art, like Buddhas, sleeping Vishnu, other Hindu deities, and maybe even more things like Zoroastrian or Wiccan art.
They cover them with curtains during the mass, but the idols are still kept next to the altar at the front.
Let sleeping Vishnus lie and go pray somewhere else.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Fordham University's official prayer book has Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Pagan prayers alongside Catholic ones, and their Jesuit retirement home has a statue of Ganesh in it with a wreath around it. :p

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Antonious Nikolas said:
rakovsky said:
Thanks, everyone.

+1

Now, if an evil or misguided priest defiled an altar by concealing an idol behind a curtain or the iconostasis of an Orthodox Church (kyrie eleison), in the interests of some stupid objective of interfaith syncretism, you would be blameless praying there (because the Church vs. Donatism and Novatianism), but since you know Vishnu is behind the curtain, it would be impossible not to interpret your worship there in a manner that offers some latria to Vishnu.  The altar should be regarded as desecrated.  If there is an Orthodox service there, tell the bishop; if its only RC services that are affected, tell the bishop anyway, but alas, don't hold your breath, as a lot of RC bishops aren't going to take proper action.

I think the limit to this sort of thing is multiple chapels in the same building or complex.  For example, the USAF Academy, which has a giant, towering chapel (designed by the architects of the Sears Tower) with various sub-chapels catering to Protestantism, Judaism, Catholicism, Orthodoxy and other religions. 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I'd rather go stand in a field and pray than try to worship in such a place.

But that's just me.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just pray in front of an icon large or small in your room or as TheTrisagion said.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Alpha60 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
rakovsky said:
Thanks, everyone.

+1

Now, if an evil or misguided priest defiled an altar by concealing an idol behind a curtain or the iconostasis of an Orthodox Church (kyrie eleison), in the interests of some stupid objective of interfaith syncretism, you would be blameless praying there (because the Church vs. Donatism and Novatianism), but since you know Vishnu is behind the curtain, it would be impossible not to interpret your worship there in a manner that offers some latria to Vishnu.  The altar should be regarded as desecrated.  If there is an Orthodox service there, tell the bishop; if its only RC services that are affected, tell the bishop anyway, but alas, don't hold your breath, as a lot of RC bishops aren't going to take proper action.

I think the limit to this sort of thing is multiple chapels in the same building or complex.  For example, the USAF Academy, which has a giant, towering chapel (designed by the architects of the Sears Tower) with various sub-chapels catering to Protestantism, Judaism, Catholicism, Orthodoxy and other religions.
Indeed, one should always take into account mitigating circumstances. If, for example, the presiding priest were a secret devotee of Kali (AKA a member of the Thugee cult, sensationally but delightfully portrayed in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) and he were to sacrifice a victim on the altar by cutting his heart out and setting it aflame in his hands while muttering, "Kali ma", one must consider the altar defiled and contact the appropriate canonical authority immediately. A more difficult question arises with regards to the status of the antimens and whether blood has fallen upon it. In my opinion, having googled numerous canonical authorities, an antimens unstained by blood remains usable. A more interesting conundrum occurs when the sacrifice to Kali is accomplished behind a curtain or iconostasis, hidden from the laity (I am assuming the victim is somehow being silenced some way, so that the people outside the sanctuary cannot hear his groans- a gag, perhaps, or some drug; I personally prefer chloroform as an effective means of overcoming stubborn resistance, when, for instance, my classic pick-up line, "Wanna see my vestments collection?" proves ineffectual) in what appears otherwise to be a normal Orthodox liturgy. I believe in such an instance only a Donatist would assert that a valid eucharist is not confected.

Further complications arise however with the introduction of canines into the sacred space. As is well known, the presence of a dog in the altar area defiles the altar and surely such an animal would be attracted to the premises by the smell of fresh meat (this is why I keep a cat safely tucked in my coat pocket during liturgy as a safeguard against the intrusion of dogs; cats, being canonically permitted in the sanctuary, must logically negate any defilement incurred by the intrusion of a canine, provided that the cat is introduced to the altar area in a timely fashion. I believe my precaution will be borne out in due time when my cat prevents what could otherwise be a very involved affair of the bishop being summoned to a parish to reconsecrate an altar. I expect a ready promotion through ecclesiastic ranks once my resourcefulness and foresight is made known to the bishop. I have lately been trying on a set of patriarchal vestments to master the correct gait and deportment of a new hierarch of Syriac Orthodoxy) so the question is whether the laity in the nave observed the dog entering or whether it made ingress via some passageway from behind the altar. This is why I vociferously argue against the installation of "doggie door" flaps in church doors.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I would suggest you remember the old saying--"chapel idols are the devil's playthings"

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Going in with shoes for Hindus would be an affront to the idols. So maybe don't worship, just walk around in shoes.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
At my university, there was a very small chapel that I never saw anyone in.  There was a large, old Bible at the "altar".

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
rakovsky said:
Thanks, everyone.

That's beyond weird.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
Iconodule said:
Alpha60 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
rakovsky said:
Thanks, everyone.

+1

Indeed, one should always take into account mitigating circumstances. If, for example, the presiding priest were a secret devotee of Kali (AKA a member of the Thugee cult, sensationally but delightfully portrayed in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) and he were to sacrifice a victim on the altar by cutting his heart out and setting it aflame in his hands while muttering, "Kali ma", one must consider the altar defiled and contact the appropriate canonical authority immediately. A more difficult question arises with regards to the status of the antimens and whether blood has fallen upon it. In my opinion, having googled numerous canonical authorities, an antimens unstained by blood remains usable. A more interesting conundrum occurs when the sacrifice to Kali is accomplished behind a curtain or iconostasis, hidden from the laity (I am assuming the victim is somehow being silenced some way, so that the people outside the sanctuary cannot hear his groans- a gag, perhaps, or some drug; I personally prefer chloroform as an effective means of overcoming stubborn resistance, when, for instance, my classic pick-up line, "Wanna see my vestments collection?" proves ineffectual) in what appears otherwise to be a normal Orthodox liturgy. I believe in such an instance only a Donatist would assert that a valid eucharist is not confected.

Further complications arise however with the introduction of canines into the sacred space. As is well known, the presence of a dog in the altar area defiles the altar and surely such an animal would be attracted to the premises by the smell of fresh meat (this is why I keep a cat safely tucked in my coat pocket during liturgy as a safeguard against the intrusion of dogs; cats, being canonically permitted in the sanctuary, must logically negate any defilement incurred by the intrusion of a canine, provided that the cat is introduced to the altar area in a timely fashion. I believe my precaution will be borne out in due time when my cat prevents what could otherwise be a very involved affair of the bishop being summoned to a parish to reconsecrate an altar. I expect a ready promotion through ecclesiastic ranks once my resourcefulness and foresight is made known to the bishop. I have lately been trying on a set of patriarchal vestments to master the correct gait and deportment of a new hierarch of Syriac Orthodoxy) so the question is whether the laity in the nave observed the dog entering or whether it made ingress via some passageway from behind the altar. This is why I vociferously argue against the installation of "doggie door" flaps in church doors.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Iconodule said:
Alpha60 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
rakovsky said:
Thanks, everyone.

+1

!!!!!  ;D ;D I'm still choking and heaving trying to calm down. That delivered punch upon punch of merciless humor.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
Indeed.  Iconodule has become the undisputed master of one very particular form of parody that anyone who has suffered through what he is parodying would surely appreciate.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Antonious Nikolas said:
Indeed.  Iconodule has become the undisputed master of one very particular form of parody that anyone who has suffered through what he is parodying would surely appreciate.
;D

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
The whole thing was great, but the parenthetical joke - "I am assuming the victim is somehow being silenced some way, so that the people outside the sanctuary cannot hear his groans- a gag, perhaps, or some drug; I personally prefer chloroform as an effective means of overcoming stubborn resistance, when, for instance, my classic pick-up line, "Wanna see my vestments collection?" proves ineffectual" - was pure gold!  :D

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Iconodule said:
Alpha60 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
rakovsky said:
Thanks, everyone.

+1

Most amusing!  ;D

Btw, there actually is, on Google Books, a translation of canons from the Assyrian Church of the East which deal with all sorts of strange ways in which their altars can become inadvertantly desecrated, requiring the bishop.  For example, if an Assyrian priest is on a ladder in the altar, for some reason, and his sandal falls off and lands on the floor, and henis unabke to don it without touching the consecrated space with his bare foot.  Or if he accidentally consecrates oil in the Eucharist instead of wine.  Which must lead to an awkward phone call..."Your grace, I made a minor mishap in the Raza this morning..."

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Antonious Nikolas said:
The whole thing was great, but the parenthetical joke - "I am assuming the victim is somehow being silenced some way, so that the people outside the sanctuary cannot hear his groans- a gag, perhaps, or some drug; I personally prefer chloroform as an effective means of overcoming stubborn resistance, when, for instance, my classic pick-up line, "Wanna see my vestments collection?" proves ineffectual" - was pure gold!  :D
Except when have you ever seen me use the word "wanna"?  Realism, chaps.  ;)  It was funny, but Iconodule can't quite write me yet.  Thus, the parody comes across as obvious apocrypha.  :p

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Antonis said:
Fordham University's official prayer book has Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Pagan prayers alongside Catholic ones, and their Jesuit retirement home has a statue of Ganesh in it with a wreath around it. :p
Gross

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
Alpha60 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Except when have you ever seen me use the word "wanna"?  Realism, chaps.  ;)  It was funny, but Iconodule can't quite write me yet.  Thus, the parody comes across as obvious apocrypha.  :p
Well, in your last post you used the phrase "henis unabke" in place of "he is unable" so naturally I attributed Iconodule's use of the phrase "wanna" to the bloody fingers and arthritic affliction which never quite seems to prevent you from posting at length.  Unless you're going to tell me that Henis Unabke is the name of some Frisian antiquarian who specializes in West Syriac or something.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Tired of you trying to showcase intellectual prowess in rhetoric

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
WPM said:
At Khrysippos' lecture I saw the blank space coming up on the scroll, and said to the audience: Cheer up fellows, land is in sight!

-Diogenes of Sinope

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
WPM said:
As far as I can tell you belong to a Brookshires or a Whataburger or a certain kind of deceiving cross-female tom boy.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Iconodule said:
WPM said:
At Khrysippos' lecture I saw the blank space coming up on the scroll, and said to the audience: Cheer up fellows, land is in sight!

-Diogenes of Sinope
Love it.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Antonious Nikolas said:
WPM said:
As far as I can tell you belong to a Brookshires or a Whataburger or a certain kind of deceiving cross-female tom boy.
I love Whataburgers.  Alas my state is devoid of them.  I'd have a Whataburger with you during any non-fasting evening.  :)

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
Alpha60 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
WPM said:
I love Whataburgers.  Alas my state is devoid of them.  I'd have a Whataburger with you during any non-fasting evening.  :)
Probably something to do with psychedelic shrooms.