• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Sites of Interest for Orthodox in Los Angeles? (Relics, Architecture, etc.)

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Any pilgrimage sites of interest in the greater LA metro area? Any thing Orthodox or Catholic that is traditional, relics of shared saints, etc. is fine as I know California has a much older history with Catholicism, but many of the cities are consecrated to common saints between the traditions. Thanks! I'm going in a week.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Holy Transfiguration Cathedral (ROCOR, near Beverly Hills I think) is impressive. It's in a slightly skeezy neighborhood IMO but then again I regard all of LA as a big skeezy neighborhood so that might just be me. A few blocks away is Kavkaz, a nice little Armenian restaurant. I highly recommend their khinkali.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
http://www.hvmla.org/en/#mainmenu

Upon your visit to Holy Virgin Mary Cathedral an Orthodox pilgrim may venerate the relics of Holy Greatmartyr Panteleimon, Holy Princes of Russia Alexander Nevsky and Daniel of Moscow; Venerable Seraphim of Sarov and Ambrose of Optina; Holy Hierarchs Innocent of Irkutsk, Joasaph of Belgorod, Innocent of Alaska, Theophan the Recluse, and Tikhon of Moscow; Holy New-Martyrs of Russia Grand Duchess Elizabeth and nun Barbara, as well as of a saint who recently shone forth in California, St. John of Shanghai and San Francissco. Among other sacred relics one may find here an icon of St. John of Krostadt with a piece of his priestly vestment, an icon of Archangel Michael with the stones from Gargano Cave, and an icon of Blessed Matrona of Moscow with a piece of her tomb.

Its also where Natalie Wood was married....and Rachmaninov's first funeral was

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Its also where Natalie Wood was married....and Rachmaninov's first funeral was
Now I know why I've been fond of Natalie Wood since I was a wee lad: she was Russian!