• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Smoking cessation and fasting question

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
I think smoking cessation is a worthy goal, one I may even consider giving up drink for a brief period of time, but there may be that one time and place where smoking a cigar or even taking a pinch of tobacco may be the right decision.

So I wonder how many regular smokers are there actually in the church? Is it possible that some have even become good at giving it up, just to keep Lent and other fasts? I've done it occasionally, I've gone 6+ months without tobacco once, at least a couple of times for a few weeks, and 2-3 days a bunch of times. It would be a pretty neat trick, but I'd also be like if you made it through Lent why would you pick it back up?

I rarely smoke cigarettes but I do like a pinch of tobacco and maybe I could see myself picking it back up, after all I've done it before. I'd like to give it up though, it's a bad habit. If I could cut down to maybe once a week when I drink that would be great.

Christos3

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
If I could cut down to maybe once a week when I drink that would be great.
Nicotine was highly additive for me, so this was not possible. I had to go cold turkey to quit smoking. I don't know how people are "social smokers", there was a time I thought it would be great to only have a smoke when drinking.

My father passed away from cancer. It started in the lungs and metastasized to his brain, which caused his death. Yes, he was a smoker.

Fr.Andrei

Reaction score
I am a former pipe and cigar smoker. I quit when I was young, before my late wife and I were married. She continued to smoke cigarettes, though I believe she quit during her two pregnancies. She has been gone for sixteen years, but i maintain that my system was compromised by breathing in second hand smoke.
I used to enjoy a pipe or cigar while reading, but it was a terrible addiction. I've even given up alcohol recently because it was too much of a temptation. I only have the odd cup of the wine-warm water mixture after communion and that only a deacon or another priest consumes the chalice.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Nonsmoker for nearly 13 years (had to go cold turkey, too). I definitely don't recommend ever starting.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
I had to do this:

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
I often have regular smoker phases, but thank God I never got addicted. Other people smoke in church, but I was once asked not to smoke before the agape meal starts, presumably because it's perceived as breaking the eucharistic fast before everyone else.

Fr.Andrei

Reaction score
What do you mean "smoke in church"? Did you mean smoking before breaking the Eucharistic fast?

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Trying to quit again for the fourth or fifth time over the last decade. Prayers appreciated for my success.

Been smoking now for about 22 years; turning 40 this summer. Only smoke at night before bed, maybe between 3-5 cigarettes most nights with some wine. But as I'm aging, my asthma is getting more severe and I simply must quit because of breathing problems. I want to be around for my family as I have four kids between the ages of 5 and 12. I know I have to do this. Please remember me in your prayers.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Trying to quit again for the fourth or fifth time over the last decade. Prayers appreciated for my success.

Been smoking now for about 22 years; turning 40 this summer. Only smoke at night before bed, maybe between 3-5 cigarettes most nights with some wine. But as I'm aging, my asthma is getting more severe and I simply must quit because of breathing problems. I want to be around for my family as I have four kids between the ages of 5 and 12. I know I have to do this. Please remember me in your prayers.
Lord, have mercy on your servant.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA

Lord have mercy.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
I only ever smoked cigars and pipes fairly regularly (few times a week) and I would look forward to it. Now, it might be once a month, if that.