• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Someone stopped me on the street today

lovesupreme

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I remember as an atheist, I would avoid evangelicals like the plague. It was amazing how well this encounter went now that I can at least see eye to eye with the person on a lot of things.

He opened the conversation with "hey, can I give you a card," which was for his local church. I explained that I already was very happy with my church, and that I was Orthodox. He didn't know too much about Orthodoxy, but he seemed to back off of inviting me to his church. He then talked about how refreshing it was to talk to a Christian who wasn't openly hostile to his invitation, which I found a bit odd.

He asked if we could read a passage in Acts to demonstrate something, but he asked really defensively. I naturally said okay since I could tell he wasn't looking to argue anything (he agreed with me when I said "getting two Christians and a Bible together is often a dangerous thing"). He then told me he was amazed because most Christians he ran into on the streets would refuse to read the Bible with him, saying they didn't need to read scriptures. I thought that was odd. Anyway, we read a passage talking about being humble when you don't know something, and then referred to some other passages.

I was showing him some icons on my phone but he had to run. Anyway, I gave him my contact information and I'm hoping the relationship stays at the level of mutual respect it did. He was pretty clear that he acknowledged we had some different beliefs and seemed pretty genuine in his ministry, so I figured why not.

Just thought I'd share. It was a pretty standard conversation but I was just amazed to have such a level and sober one with someone who stopped me on the street.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
What's interesting is that you actually had a conversation with someone on the street.  I see too many people looking at their phones or tuning out the world with their earbuds.

I hope you get to talk together again.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
lovesupreme said:
I remember as an atheist, I would avoid evangelicals like the plague. It was amazing how well this encounter went now that I can at least see eye to eye with the person on a lot of things.

He opened the conversation with "hey, can I give you a card," which was for his local church. I explained that I already was very happy with my church, and that I was Orthodox. He didn't know too much about Orthodoxy, but he seemed to back off of inviting me to his church. He then talked about how refreshing it was to talk to a Christian who wasn't openly hostile to his invitation, which I found a bit odd.

He asked if we could read a passage in Acts to demonstrate something, but he asked really defensively. I naturally said okay since I could tell he wasn't looking to argue anything (he agreed with me when I said "getting two Christians and a Bible together is often a dangerous thing"). He then told me he was amazed because most Christians he ran into on the streets would refuse to read the Bible with him, saying they didn't need to read scriptures. I thought that was odd. Anyway, we read a passage talking about being humble when you don't know something, and then referred to some other passages.

I was showing him some icons on my phone but he had to run. Anyway, I gave him my contact information and I'm hoping the relationship stays at the level of mutual respect it did. He was pretty clear that he acknowledged we had some different beliefs and seemed pretty genuine in his ministry, so I figured why not.

Just thought I'd share. It was a pretty standard conversation but I was just amazed to have such a level and sober one with someone who stopped me on the street.
This was a worthwhile post to me lovesupreme. I hope he does contact you, I am curious how he responds upon reflection. He seems like an inherently good person.

Avdima

High Elder
Reaction score
Opus118 said:
lovesupreme said:

This was a worthwhile post to me lovesupreme. I hope he does contact you, I am curious how he responds upon reflection. He seems like an inherently good person.
I concur. 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Glory to God!

Thank you for sharing.

I'm really glad you conversed with this person. I have great sympathy for those who venture out into the streets to share the gospel, proclaim the sanctity of life, or beg for money and food. I think it takes great humility, great faith, and great courage to do so. And most of these people receive insults and injuries for their efforts. To meet one kind Christian soul such as yourself probably meant more to him than you realize.

Please keep us updated if you hear back from him.  :)

Selam

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Who knows, you might have just found a future best friend.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a similar run-in two years ago in Queens with two young ladies trying to share the gospel with me.  So we ended up getting into a discussion between Orthodox beliefs and Protestant beliefs.  It was pleasant, but I think they felt I was taking them away from reaching out to other people when I was enjoying the convo.

Good for you!  Hope it's the start of a new relationship.