• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Soul and Angel ( St. Theophan)

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
I was reading an appendix type letter by Fr Seraphim Rose in his book: The Soul After Death. In it he mentioned a work by St. Theophan ( the Recluse) titled: Soul and Angel and it concerned a theological discussion between him and St. Ignatius ( Brianchaninov).

My attempts to research this work online have come up empty. Obviously it is found in Russian etc. but is anyone aware of an English translation?

Thank you

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I was reading an appendix type letter by Fr Seraphim Rose in his book: The Soul After Death. In it he mentioned a work by St. Theophan ( the Recluse) titled: Soul and Angel and it concerned a theological discussion between him and St. Ignatius ( Brianchaninov).

My attempts to research this work online have come up empty. Obviously it is found in Russian etc. but is anyone aware of an English translation?

Thank you
The Russian original is here:
A potential translation if the title is "The Soul and the Angel- Not a Body, but a Spirit."
Google Translate will give a rough translation.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
A brief internet search did not bring up any English translations for this document. There are a lot of Russian written documents that have not been translated into English. I read an excellent one about 15 years ago on John the Baptist that personally helped me a lot on connecting him to Jesus in ways that writings available in English had not helped me, because it addressed different critical or apologetic issues about the relationship between John and Jesus. So my point is that there are excellent ratings on spirituality and Orthodoxy in Russian that are not translated and available in English and the one by theophan the recluse is apparently one of those untranslated writings. So you are stuck using Google translate or learning Russian or both. Personally I think that it's helpful to know Greek or Russian or probably even Arabic if you want to get into Eastern Orthodoxy in a Deep Way because of how writings like these are either originally in one of those foreign languages or else available only in those foreign languages. I wish I knew Greek. Hebrew knowledge is good if you want to know the Old Testament more closely. Aramaic of course is neat in theory, because it is Jesus's language, but it just turned out historically that the primary documents we have from the apostles ended up in Greek in their earliest form that we still have them. The Odes of Solomon are in Aramaic, but I lean to the idea that they were probably written by Bardeisan, a semignostic writer of the late 2nd c.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
The Russian original is here:
A potential translation if the title is "The Soul and the Angel- Not a Body, but a Spirit."
Google Translate will give a rough translation.
Thank you very much.