• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Soul Covering

Sleeper

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I'm reading a fantastic work by St. Theophan the Recluse called "The Spiritual Life" and there are a few chapters devoted to something he calls the "soul covering." He says there is an element, the finest and smallest element possible, made out of light that is called "ether" and that it forms a covering over the soul which allows us to communicate with the saints (in which they and the angels "soar") and by which our current spiritual state can be seen; it is bright and radiant if we are pure in heart and fervent in prayer, dark and murky if living in sin, etc.

This is the first and only time I've ever heard of such a thing, and the way he describes it implies that it is not merely a way of speaking, but is an actual reality, a reality which we should "always keep in mind." I love the idea and have no concerns about it, really, but was just curious if anyone had any thoughts about this, or have seen it in other writings?

I will try to provide some quotes from the text when I'm able.