SSPX expels Bishop Williamson

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
choy said:
Peter J said:
Well, your screenname here says Charles Martel, not Williamson; but if you weren't Bishop Williamson there's no way you would say that he "stands alone in resisting the errors in Rome".
Are you saying that Bishop Williamson is trolling in OC.net?  ??? :police:
I wouldn't be surprised.
Why here?  CAF would be a better place for him ;)

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
choy said:
Cyrillic said:
choy said:
Peter J said:
Well, your screenname here says Charles Martel, not Williamson; but if you weren't Bishop Williamson there's no way you would say that he "stands alone in resisting the errors in Rome".
I wouldn't be surprised.
I imagine he's been banned there at least 9000 times. The mods on the traditional catholicism subforum are tough as iron.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
I imagine he's been banned there at least 9000 times. The mods on the traditional catholicism subforum are tough as iron.
In fairness though, I do know someone who speaks as higly about Bishop Williamson and he is not Bishop Williamson.  He does have quite a following within the SSPX.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Having read quite a bit of Traditionalist (the Latin variant) forums, I think they're quite obsessed with apparitions and private revelations.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
choy said:
Cyrillic said:
choy said:
Peter J said:
I wouldn't be surprised.
Actually, not all traditionalists like the traditional-wing of CAF -- in much the same way that not all Eastern Catholics like the eastern-wing of CAF.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Charles Martel said:
Cyrillic said:
Charles Martel said:
And it was post VII Rome that parted with Tradition, not the other way around.
Wrong. It was post-1014 AD Rome which parted with Tradition.
The topic here is  the good Bishop's expulsion from the SSPX, not the Eastern Schisim of 1054.
I see what you did there

Charles Martel

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Charles Martel said:
Cyrillic said:
Charles Martel said:
The topic here is  the good Bishop's expulsion from the SSPX, not the Eastern Schisim of 1054.
I see what you did there
22 posts later and now   the light  goes off.......not much gets by you eh?  ;D

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Charles Martel said:
Cyrillic said:
Charles Martel said:
Cyrillic said:
Charles Martel said:
The topic here is  the good Bishop's expulsion from the SSPX, not the Eastern Schisim of 1054.
I see what you did there
I'm very slow.

Charles Martel said:
Would you even concede Benedict being the Bishop of Rome?
I'm one of those hipster sedevacantists.

Charles Martel

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Charles Martel said:
Cyrillic said:
Charles Martel said:
Cyrillic said:
Charles Martel said:
The topic here is  the good Bishop's expulsion from the SSPX, not the Eastern Schisim of 1054.
I see what you did there
I'm very slow.

Charles Martel said:
Would you even concede Benedict being the Bishop of Rome?
I'm one of those hipster-doofus sedevacantists.
fixed it for you. ;D

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Peter J said:
Actually, not all traditionalists like the traditional-wing of CAF -- in much the same way that not all Eastern Catholics like the eastern-wing of CAF.
Which is exactly why they are a better audience ;)

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Charles Martel said:
Alpo said:
Martel, why don't you come home inside? It must be terribly lonely out there to be the lone last proper Christian. We have cozy beards and baklava!
Baklava most defintely, but you can keep those scruffy beards.  ;D

Thanks for the offer anyway.  ;)
Scruffy's going to get one of them $300 haircuts. This one's lost its pizzazz.

Reaction score
Apotheoun said:
Papist said:
Apotheoun said:
Papist said:
Jetavan said:
The Society of St Pius X has confirmed that it has expelled the English Bishop Richard Williamson.

Bishop Williamson, 72, one of four men illicitly ordained in 1988 by Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre in Écône, Switzerland, has been a controversial figure, particularly for his views on Jews, who he has called the “enemies of Christ”.
Hallelujah.
I hope this will reboot negotiations with the Vatican.
I don't think that Bishop Williamson is the reason for the failed negotiations.  In fact, it sounds like he hasn't really been "in the loop" at the SSPX for a while.  I think the real sticking point between the SSPX and the Roman bureaucracy continues to be the place of Vatican II in Roman Catholic teaching.
At one point throughout the negotiations, Bp. Fellay was starting to sound very positive about normalization of relations with Rome. Suddenly, the ultra-anti-VII crowd started moaning and groaning, and Bp. Fellay reversed his position. We know that Bp. Williamson is the most vocal proponent of the ultra-anti-VII idea and I would have a hard time believing that he didn't influence the reversal of position on the part of Bp. Fellay.
That is one way of looking at it, but I think you are giving too much importance to Bishop Williamson.  I think the "anti-Vatican II" crowd is still alive and well in the SSPX, and I think Bishop Fellay, as sympathetic as he is to reuniting with Rome, ultimately decided in favor of that group.  I think Vatican II remains the main sticking point between Rome and the SSPX and I do not see that changing any time soon.  In fact, some recent comments from Pope Benedict in support of Vatican II make it seem unlikely that communion will be restored between Rome and the SSPX in the foreseeable future.
Correct. Vatican II is the sticking point.

Reaction score
Maria said:
choy said:
Charles Martel said:
choy said:
Charles Martel said:
Tradition will never slip into irrelevance.
True tradition won't.  Thus, the SSPX will slip into irrelevance.
Without men like +Williamson it will.
Bishop Williamson is the greatest reason why not to take the SSPX seriously.  I have yet to meet someone form the SSPX to even make me think about what they teach and do.  In fact, the only thing the SSPX has led me to think about is the validity of teachings of the Catholic Church, themselves included.  While I was never a Traditionalist, the SSPX has played a good part in pushing me towards Orthodoxy.
moi aussi.
- From a different perspective than at least Choy, I would have to say me too.
If SSPX is what the RCC was - which is confirmed basically by taking a brief look at pre-conciliar catechisms -  then the Novus Ordo VaticanII church of Rome cannot be reconciled with its own past.
There are 2 different religions in play here. With VaticanII a new one was invented (Not to say there were no such innovations before, as I have become aware of during the last year)
Sedevacantism is a theological opinion and an option, but rests on the belief that the RCC is the true church. That is very hard to believe.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
VarangianGuard said:
Maria said:
choy said:
Charles Martel said:
choy said:
Charles Martel said:
Bishop Williamson is the greatest reason why not to take the SSPX seriously.  I have yet to meet someone form the SSPX to even make me think about what they teach and do.  In fact, the only thing the SSPX has led me to think about is the validity of teachings of the Catholic Church, themselves included.  While I was never a Traditionalist, the SSPX has played a good part in pushing me towards Orthodoxy.
moi aussi.
If SSPX is what the RCC was - which is confirmed basically by taking a brief look at pre-conciliar catechisms -  then the Novus Ordo VaticanII church of Rome cannot be reconciled with its own past.
There are 2 different religions in play here. With VaticanII a new one was invented (Not to say there were no such innovations before, as I have become aware of during the last year)
Sedevacantism is a theological opinion and an option, but rests on the belief that the RCC is the true church. That is very hard to believe.
The attitude of the traditionalists confirms that they are not bearers of Truth.  By their fruits you will know them.

Reaction score
choy said:
VarangianGuard said:
Maria said:
choy said:
Charles Martel said:
choy said:
Charles Martel said:
moi aussi.
The attitude of the traditionalists confirms that they are not bearers of Truth.  By their fruits you will know them.
In what way? The fact that they are growing? The fact that they have vibrant families with many children, unlike the Novus Ordo? The fact that their Mass is reverent and a billion times more traditional than the Nervous Ordeal? That they are actually missionary and not ecumenising themselves into oblivion?
What do you mean here?
I seriously doubt the truth of the whole thing, as you know, but your painting of traddies is rather grotesque and bears witness to that you cannot possibly have fared much in traddie waters.
I am sure we can dig up Orthodox lunatics as well, but it isn't really fair to call them representative  of your average Orthodox, is it?

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Papist said:
Where the heck did these SSPXers suddenly come from?
Yeah, shouldn't they be over at CAF bugging the OF crowd?  ;D