• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

St. Alexis Toth and Carpatho-Russian Reversions to Orthodoxy

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I am currently trying to learn more about St. Alexis Toth. I seem to remember reading on this forum some years ago that he was a controversial figure. Can anyone post links to more information about him, or in general about the Carpatho-Russians that came to America? I know that St. Alexis and his people went to what later became the OCA, but that there are still numerous Eastern Catholic parishes in America (Byzantine Catholic Church) and well as another Orthodox jurisdiction of Carpatho-Russians under the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

Anyone that that can help fill out some details for me would be much appreciated. I'm also looking for numbers of parishes he converted, personal correspondences, and attitudes from others at the time surrounding him.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I don't know how controversial he was.  He stood up for the rights of his people.  This is a pretty good summary:
http://www.acrod.org/readingroom/saints/stalexistoth

I don't think you will ever see it in print but I have heard it said he regretted going to Moscow rather than Constantinople.  The Russification of the Rusyn parishes of the Metropolia/OCA greatly contributed to this I think.