• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

St Alfred the Great: October 26

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
I didn't want this message to get lost in the 1200+ messages of another thread, though it can be found there. I trust that the administrators will see enough difference in my post there and this one that it will not be considered double posting. I know it may not be in the right forum, but I wanted it where is was most likely to be seen by others who have been participating or lurking on that topic.

On a whim, I did some quick research into Saint Alfred. Very quickly, I discovered the following:
http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/s9centy.htm
Alfred the Great Oct 26 849-899. King of Wessex and all Orthodox England who defeated the Danish invaders and ensured the growth of the Church in England. A patron of sacred learning, Alfred the Great himself translated into English such works as the Dialogues of St Gregory the Great. His memory is held by many in great veneration as a patriot and model of Orthodox kingship.
In that other thread, I told a poster who is clearly determined to serve God, but in a way that is contrary to Orthodoxy. I told him that tomorrow (especially!) I will be praying for him.

I am hoping that I am not alone in this.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
You are not alone.    :)

I also enjoyed the chance to read fine old names such as Tanco, Ludger and Swithbert. You really don't see those enough anymore!

:angel:

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Alfred the Great and St. Dimitrios commemorated on the same day?  A nice complement in the west for a great eastern saint!

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Wanderer, but in All the East
Thanks for posting this, Genesisone.

Alfred has been a favorite of mine since well before I was able to appreciate his contributions to Christianity.  While not intending to take away from other saints, he was an extraordinarily versatile and impressive man.