• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

St. Mary the only one with a body?

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Then what of Moses and Elijah at the transfiguration?
Spirits don't look like a man....or maybe they do?

Comments appreciated?

Timos

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
O.C.
If anything the Theotokos' body is not even on this earth accordinf to our beliefs in Holy Tradition...and that is why a relic of her body does not exist...relics such as her mantle etc does exist though.

Pedro

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA Diocese of the South
I'm guessing you're asking if the Theotokos is the only one IN HEAVEN with her body.  If so, then no, Elijah and Moses have theirs, too, as both were assumed into Heaven.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Beavis said:
Whoever said that the Theotokos was the only one with a body? ???

I think I might be getting something mixed up here.......according to orthodoxy St. Mary is the only human fully deified. This doesn't mean (I think) that there are not some other saints in heaven with a body(Elijah), while the vast majority wait in spirit form in the anitchamber of heaven.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Pedro said:
I'm guessing you're asking if the Theotokos is the only one IN HEAVEN with her body.  If so, then no, Elijah and Moses have theirs, too, as both were assumed into Heaven.
Does orthodoxy confirm that anyone else is in heaven with their bodies aside from these saints?

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Pedro said:
I'm guessing you're asking if the Theotokos is the only one IN HEAVEN with her body. If so, then no, Elijah and Moses have theirs, too, as both were assumed into Heaven.
Not Moses. He died and was buried by the Lord, as it says in Deuteronomy 34.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Keble said:

But what about Moses in the transfiguration..........spirits don't look like men me thinks.

Silouan

High Elder
Reaction score
They could have been given the appearence of bodies by God - He can do that sort of thing if there is a need, I would think.  The angels don't have bodies, but when they appear on earth (i.e in the book of Tobit, the Annuciation etc.) they do appear in humanish shape to us.   

Also it should be noted there is great phrophetic meaning in Mose's body never having reached the promise land...

Beavis

Reaction score
Keble said:
.....actually, there is an apocryphal/Talmudic tradition that Moses' body was assumed up into heaven under circumstances similar to those of the Panagia.  This is the tradition which is referenced by the Epistle of St. Jude.

eleni

Reaction score
Hi all/

There is also a tradition of that of St John of the Apocalypse.....He will return in his body at the end of days....as will Enoch and Elias(Elijah) to preach the Gospel truth(Orthodoxy)and warn all people of the Antichrist.......Enoch and Elijah did not die....but were transformed to a place where we dont exactly know.....

The future of Russia and the end of the world.....
http://www.sfaturiortodoxe.ro/orthodox/orthodox_advices_seraphim_rose_the_end_of_the_world.htm

Orthodox Christian Blog spot.....
http://orthodoxchristian.blogspot.com/2005/10/treatise-on-christ-and-antichrist-7.html

also at Mount Athos there are twelve monks who walk around in bodies that have never tasted death.....these will be the last 12 Christians who will be found worthy to go to heaven........the number of FALLEN ANGELS will replace the number of people that will go to heaven.......sorry if i cant expalin it better......but here is an article......
  7.  The book "Contemporary Startsy of Athos" offers the following interpretation: "On Mount Athos there is the Tradition of the Twelve Startsy, chosen hermit-elders, matching the Apostles in number, who live unseen by the world and even to other monks of Athos. When one of them dies another is secretly called to continue the spiritual labors of his predecessor. We were told this by other startsy, who witnessed that they had received such a call, but had refused, out of humility and the fear of God." <<       
http://oag.ru/library/path_to_apocalypse/apocalypse_III-17.html#fnr3

Glory be to God....

IX
helen