• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

St. Yevgeny Rodionov

Linus7

Archon
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this new saint?

When he was 11 years old, Yevgeny Rodionov received from his grandmother a little cross on a chain. He wanted to wear it to school, but his mother, then an atheist, warned him against it, since the communist authorities frowned on such things. Yevgeny wore it anyway and refused to ever take it off.

As a 19-year-old soldier in the Russian Army, Yevgeny Rodionov was captured by Muslim Chechen rebels. They kept him hanging by his wrists in a basement. They starved and beat him. The Muslims commanded Yevgeny to write his mother and ask for a $10,000 ransom. He told them his family was poor and could not possibly raise such a sum. They then ordered him and several other Russian prisoners to convert to Islam. In order to save their necks, most of the prisoners complied. Yevgeny refused to betray Christ.

For that he was rewarded by the Muslims with decapitation.

This happened in 1996.

Since that time Yevgeny's mom has been able to recover her son's body from the Chechens - in increments: first the body, which still had the little cross around the neck, then, later, the head.

I do not have the details, but miracles have been occurring in connection with Yevgeny's relics, and an icon of him in a small Russian village church has begun weeping myrrh.

Yevgeny's father died shortly after the return of his son's body. Yevgeny's mother, who never before set foot in a church, is now an Orthodox Christian believer, saved by the example of her son, the Holy Martyr Yevgeny Rodionov.

I have this story by way of my wife, who translated it from a Russian news article (I will get the source from her if anyone wants it).

I tried to attach a photo of the Holy Martyr Yevgeny Rodionov's grave, but was unable to do it (probably due to my lack of computer skill).

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
Yes, Linus, please. I would love the source article - in Russian if necessary.

St. Yevgeny Rodionov makes so much of our current issues dialogue moot, tiny, and irrelevant.

Demetri

Linus7

Archon
Reaction score
Thanks, John. I will take a more thorough look at that thread later.

Here is the link to the Russian news article.

If you go back to the homepage of MK.ru you will see a bad black-and-white photo of St. Yevgeny's icon.

orthodoxindonesia

Reaction score
Faith
Kristen Ortodoks Timur
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Singapore and South Asia
I have been looking for the icon of St.Yevgeny Rodionov.
Can anybody help me to give any information about it, please?

in Christ,
Timotheos

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
orthodoxindonesia said:
I have been looking for the icon of St.Yevgeny Rodionov.
Can anybody help me to give any information about it, please?

in Christ,
Timotheos
There was some dispute as to whether he should be glorified as a Saint by the Patriarchate of Moscow, so this may not be an "official Icon":

orthodoxindonesia

Reaction score
Faith
Kristen Ortodoks Timur
Jurisdiction
Dear Ozgeorge,
Thank you so much for the information and the icon of Hieromartyr St. Yevgeny.

I would like to know that the process of canonization of a Saint in our Church.
Is the first step of canonization a Saint comes from the local Church before Patriarchate canonize him to be glorified as a Saint?
How long the Patriarchate of Russia  may canonize Hieromartyr St. Yevgeny to be glorified as a Saint?
Thank you.

orthodoxindonesia

Reaction score
Faith
Kristen Ortodoks Timur
Jurisdiction
Dear Mike,
Thank you so much for the another one of the icon of St Yevgeny!

Many people said that the movement to glorify Hieromartyr St. Yevgeny is too hasty,  but  I would venerate him and I am asking for his prayers even now.
Because it is not an easy thing  for me to sacrifice my life for Christ just like he did.

Martir suci Yevgeny, berdoalah kepada Allah buat kami!
Holy Martyr Yevgeny, pray to God for us!

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
orthodoxindonesia said:
Dear Ozgeorge,
Thank you so much for the information and the icon of Hieromartyr St. Yevgeny.

I would like to know that the process of canonization of a Saint in our Church.
Is the first step of canonization a Saint comes from the local Church before Patriarchate canonize him to be glorified as a Saint?
How long the Patriarchate of Russia  may canonize Hieromartyr St. Yevgeny to be glorified as a Saint?
Thank you.
In smaller local Churches canonisations are done on Church level, in larger - on diocese level. The first step of canonisation is the veneration among the faithful, then the Synod (dioceasan or local) starts canonisation process. After the canonisation is finished information about it is send to the rest of local Churches.

The wiki article states that St. Eugenius was canonised in 2002.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
It would be very helpful to locate any documents or other solid evidence for the official glorification of Evgeniy Rodionov.

It does seem rather unusual that this young man, heroic as he was, could be officially glorified within six years after his death, yet so many other saints in the Orthodox world have had to "wait" much, much longer. Even in more recent times, where various people were quite rightly regarded by the people as "living saints", it still took decades before "official" recognition by the Church happened. Here are only two examples: St Nektarios of Aegina died in 1920, proclaimed a saint by the Church of Greece in 1966 (46 years). St John of Shanghai and San Francisco died in 1966, proclaimed a saint by the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad in 1994 (28 years). I'm sure there are many more.

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LBK said:
It would be very helpful to locate any documents or other solid evidence for the official glorification of Evgeniy Rodionov.

It does seem rather unusual that this young man, heroic as he was, could be officially glorified within six years after his death, yet so many other saints in the Orthodox world have had to "wait" much, much longer. Even in more recent times, where various people were quite rightly regarded by the people as "living saints", it still took decades before "official" recognition by the Church happened. Here are only two examples: St Nektarios of Aegina died in 1920, proclaimed a saint by the Church of Greece in 1966 (46 years). St John of Shanghai and San Francisco died in 1966, proclaimed a saint by the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad in 1994 (28 years). I'm sure there are many more.
Official glorification or not, it is pretty clear he died a martyr's death. He is a saint either way.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Ukiemeister said:
Official glorification or not, it is pretty clear he died a martyr's death. He is a saint either way.
I agree entirely. There's something about the story that does have the ring of truth in it. I find his story strangely inspiring. I do understand the reluctance of the Church to take official action at this point.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
LBK said:
As you wish: http://kazan.eparhia.ru/talks/ask/?ID=9334

edit:

He has been canonised in 2000.

orthodoxindonesia

Reaction score
Faith
Kristen Ortodoks Timur
Jurisdiction
mike said:
LBK said:
As you wish: http://kazan.eparhia.ru/talks/ask/?ID=9334

edit:

He has been canonised in 2000.

Thank you sooooo much for this precious information. I hope the Patriachate of Moskow has included Hieromartyr St. Evgeny the Warrior  in the Hagiologion ( or soon if it is on progress )

Martir Kudus Evgeny, berdoalah kepada Allah untuk kami!

In Christ,
Timotheos 

orthodoxindonesia

Reaction score
Faith
Kristen Ortodoks Timur
Jurisdiction
The other icon of St. Evgeny I got from my friend

[attachment deleted by admin]