Star Trek: Voyager

What do you think of ST:Voyager?

• It wasn't bad, but wasn't that good either.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • It wasn't bad, but wasn't that good either.

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Pretty good.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • It was excellent.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Huh? They made a Trek after the Original Series?

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Trek sucks.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I grew up watching TNG and DS9, but for some reason I never got into Voyager. I would watch it from time to time, and I liked the Harry Kim and Doctor characters, but nothing really ever caught my attention. Spike started running a marathon of Voyager yesterday, and I caught a couple episodes, and plan on watching as many as I can the rest of the week to give it another shot. So... if anyone out there really likes it, could you maybe share what makes it enjoyable to you? What am I missing?

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It had some good episodes, but as a whole it didn't compare to TOS, TNG, or DS9...perhaps it was comprable with ENT. I liked Seven and Tuvok, could tolerate Chakotay, Torres, and Paris, but hated the Captain, Doctor, Kim, and most of all, Neelix...he was like an extra annoying version of Wesley, and that's saying something. I might pirate the episodes someday, but it's unlikely i'll buy them.

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Quick Mr. Two-Spocks!  Re-invigorate the toaster matrix to compensate for fluctuations in the microwave induction unit!  Those wiener torpedos have got to be ready for launch lunch!"   :eek:

I thought that it pretty much sucked until about the time Seven came into the picture.  After that, IMHO there were some really awesome episodes.  The writing seemed to really improve, and the whole thing just seemed to gell a lot better.

greekischristian said:
....hated....most of all, Neelix...he was like an extra annoying version of Wesley, and that's saying something.
Shoot him on sight!  Man, I used to hate it when the writers would use him to represent the audience in asking the question:  "How do we do that?"  Or when he would invent some ridiculous new omelette of some kind in the galley and foist it upon some unsuspecting bridge officers.  What did Kes see in him?  Ridiculous!  

Gabriel

Reaction score
I think it's a fine Trek series.  Of course, nothing will ever approach the awesomely goodness that is The Next Generation, but, it's not a bad second.

Deep Space Nine?  Whoever made that show is a sick, sick, person.  I mean, who makes a Star Trek... where the main craft doesn't move?

Good Points about Voyager:

Seven of Nine
Plenty of BORG episodes (gotta have em)
Seven of Nine
Several Q Continuum episodes (gotta have those, too)
Seven of Nine

Looks like a good series to me.

;D

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently, I wasn't the only one with a thing for Seven.  Hehe.

It was the first Trek series I started watching...so it was just decent.

They are all pretty good.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Actually I think everyone had a thing for 7. Everyone, that is, but me. *shrugs*  I mean, her assets were obvious... maybe a little too obvious. I'd rather watch a Jadzia Dax or Leeta, whose assets were also obvious, but not quite so over-exposed (pardon the pun) in the mainstream media.

And anyone who speaks ill of DS9 deserves Trek exile.  :) It may have been the most un-Trek-like, but it was also the more realistic, of the Treks. Besides, they caved and gave you nay sayers a ship fairly early on, and a fancy prototype warship (later with a cloaking device) to boot! Anyway, back to Voyager watching tomorrow I guess...

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ya but Voyager had two Delta Flyers.

I think Voyager appealed to alot who had watched the other series, because the Delta Quadrant is far enough removed that the show had some creative leeway while still including old standbys.

Some awesome episodes:
Barge of the Dead
Going back in time to 20th century San Fran
Series Finale
the episode with Andy Dick
Seven's multiple personality's
anything Hirogen (ie WW2 Holodeck)
that Irish village on the Holodeck
the Borg Children
Q's son

Wow I need to get a life. I don't even watch Voyager anymore. My life is consumed by Canadian Tire...I am such a lifer. One of two male cashiers...benefits. Lolz

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Actually I think everyone had a thing for 7. Everyone, that is, but me. *shrugs*  I mean, her assets were obvious... maybe a little too obvious. I'd rather watch a Jadzia Dax or Leeta, whose assets were also obvious, but not quite so over-exposed (pardon the pun) in the mainstream media.

And anyone who speaks ill of DS9 deserves Trek exile.  :) It may have been the most un-Trek-like, but it was also the more realistic, of the Treks. Besides, they caved and gave you nay sayers a ship fairly early on, and a fancy prototype warship (later with a cloaking device) to boot! Anyway, back to Voyager watching tomorrow I guess...
I agree completely (on both counts - 7 of 9 always looked like she'd need some sort of back brace to me). In my opinion DS9 was the best Trek series of all, mainly because it didn't fall completely to Roddenberry's naive, 'the future will be a utopian place where money and religion have been banished forever' idea. Much more realistic, especially psychologically.

Of course, generally speaking Star Trek was way too optimistic for this SF fan - I greatly prefer my dystopias, to be honest.

James

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
It was more than just the assets with Seven, it was also the hardware...and by that I of course mean the borg enhancements...integrated human and machine with a cold and reserved logical approach to life, what's not to like? Is not that the eventual goal towards which we seek to evolove ourselves?

Veniamin

Archon
Reaction score
I'll take Jadzia's spots over Seven's hardware any day.

Of course, Sharon Valerii leaves 'em both in the dust.  :D

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Νεκτάριος said:
I think she's your soul mate, GiC.  
Nektarie, you have noooo idea how much you made GiC's day with that comment.... ;)

Unless, of course, you could arrange for a meeting between GiC and T'Pau...

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I watched the first season of this when it came out (1994?), but I got busy with school and kind of drifted off. From what I remember, I quite liked it. I really liked Captain Janeway (perhaps it's because I had a thing for Kate Mulgrew, who reminded me so much of Kate Hepburn).

Zoe

Elder
Reaction score
I watched a few episodes yesterday and the writing was really horrible -- to be honest, all the Star Treks writing is incredibly corny, but for some reason Voyager can't get away with it.  The Captain's acting is ugh, realllly bad, but because I like to know what happens, I continue to watch.  I'd probably get into it because I have no qualms about enjoying a show that is just poorly constructed.

dantxny

High Elder
Reaction score
I too think Janeway was terrible.  It was so cheesy and felt like an annoying family picnic.  Even Picard wouldn't let TNG get that bad.  Paris was an enjoyable character, though.  He provided some counter-action.  When you get down to it, though, I think DS9 was the best series by far.  I think it was the show that really became the most human, best and worst.  And I'll never forget the episode where Sisko challenged the Vulcans to a baseball game and Worf's comment later when trying to tag out a missing Vulcan. "Find him and Kill Him!"

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I don't know, for some reason I couldn't get into Deep Space Nine. I guess the travel aspect is an important part of Star Trek's appeal to me. I liked the idea of the Voyager getting marooned in the outer galaxy.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The Voyager episode with "Arachnia Queen of the Spider People" was great fun and a wonderful tribute to an earlier SF genre.

Speaking of which, the DS9 episode "Far Beyond the Stars" is superb with the referencing to the Golden Age of SF and the pulp writers and all. While they're not exact copies of some real SF writers, I think that (for example) the "Kira" equivalent was C.L. Moore while the "Julian" was like Henry Kuttner her husband.  It was common for women SF writers to use initials in that way, others being D. C. Fontana (who wrote some Star Trek) and Ursula K. LeGuin was "U.K." which she said stood for  "Ulysses Kingfisher"

The "O'brian" with writing robot stories is like Isaac Asimov in that way, though maybe not as much in personality. The editor might have been like John Campbell or Hugo Gernsback or some other figures from the time.

I could go on, but I'll stop for now with just saying that it's a powerful story and very well done.

Ebor