• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Starting a PhD in History program in August

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
Some of you know by now that I have a Master's in History from Georgia Southern University. I've had it set out as a goal to get my PhD in History since I started college. After graduating from GSU with my MA, I encountered some difficult times. I wanted some time off from education for a year or so, but I ended up struggling to find and keep jobs (turns out that your average employer doesn't want someone with an MA working as a sales associate), and jobs in education or historical sites just work out.

So, this past Fall, I resolved to begin applying for schools again to continue my education. Since I wanted to study American Indian or American Western history, I applied to four schools out west where such specialties are common: University of Montana, Montana State, Nevada-Reno, and the University of North Dakota.

After the first two rejected me, I started to lose hope again (Montana State rejected me only 48 hours after the deadline for submissions, still curious why). However, I received word from UND's History graduate director that they had voted to admit me into the program with a teaching assistantship and a full tuition waiver.

It's a real answered prayer there, especially with the assistantship and waiver added to it. Incidentally, UND was the one school I was expecting to be rejected from, since they had the highest standard of admission (a 3.6 minimum History-only GPA), which I barely managed to clear, and they were the most respectable of the bunch. I suppose I have to thank not just God for this, but also my recommenders, who gave me great recommendations.

I begin in August, although my parents and I are going to move my stuff into storage in July. The apartment I've signed with won't be available until August, but my Mom's a school teacher and a trip then would be hard to pull off, especially since we were going to combine it with a summer vacation.

Also, there is no Orthodox Church in Grand Forks , North Dakota, but there is one in Fargo, which is about 80 or so minutes away. I don't think I can do that every week, but I think once every 2-3 weeks is doable.

So, thanks be to God for the opportunity given to me and pray that the move to North Dakota and my next 2-4 years of studies go well.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Lord have mercy,

If I may make a suggestion, consider military service for the GI Bill. Doctoral programs are expensive and four years worth of paid for college can really cut the price substantially.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Lord have mercy,

If I may make a suggestion, consider military service for the GI Bill. Doctoral programs are expensive and four years worth of paid for college can really cut the price substantially.
You don't understand what a dumb suggestion that is.

However, I received word from UND's History graduate director that they had voted to admit me into the program with a teaching assistantship and a full tuition waiver.

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
JamesR said:
Lord have mercy,

You don't understand what a dumb suggestion that is.

However, I received word from UND's History graduate director that they had voted to admit me into the program with a teaching assistantship and a full tuition waiver.
At any rate, I have issues that prevent me from serving in the military, in addition to the fact that I have a full tuition waiver.

But I appreciate the suggestion. :)

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
To God be the glory for what's happened.  Lord, have mercy on your servant as he works out the details.

Alxandra

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Prayer for a Student:
"Christ my Lord, the Giver of light and wisdom, who opened the eyes of the blind man and transformed the fisherman into wise heralds and teachers of the gospel through the coming of the Holy Spirit, shine also in my mind the light of the grace of the Holy Spirit. Grand me discernment, understanding and wisdom in learning. Enable me to complete my assignments and to abound in every good work, for to You I give honor and glory. Amen."

Tikhon29605

High Elder
Reaction score
Congratulations!  I was a history major myself. (MA)

Having lived in neighboring Minnesota, I would advise you to bring warm clothes to North Dakota. It cools off FAST at the end of September and usually stays cold until mid to late May.  But the people in the Dakotas are some of the friendliest folks you'll ever meet.  Very polite and neighborly too.

Reaction score
Please remember that this thread is for Prayers/Prayer Requests only. 

It is certainly not for advice sans prayers.  No more of that, please.

Yurysprudentsiya