• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Stink Bugs

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
It was a pretty light year for me with stink bugs... though of course a few still managed to get into the apartment, despite my thinking it was all sealed up. Better than flies though, at least with stink bugs you can get them rather easily and put them back aside... flies just buzz around for hours annoying you, and then every time you think you've finally got it... BZZZ it flies away again.  8)

But back OT, yes, they are annoying to deal with.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Oh the trials and tribulations of living in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Why we haven't declared them mortal enemies of our Commonwealth, I don't know...  :police:

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Some places have hurricanes, others have earthquakes, we have stink bugs. We don't even get cool calamities in our area.  :mad:

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
TheTrisagion said:
Some places have hurricanes, others have earthquakes, we have stink bugs. We don't even get cool calamities in our area.  :mad:
???  We DO get hurricanes and "super storms"; we have had (relatively paltry) earthquakes; we get insufferable humidity (but not like in the South, thank God!); AND we have stink bugs.  Must be our close proximity to D.C.--I'd say that's plenty calamitous enough, eh?  ;D

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:
???  We DO get hurricanes and "super storms"; we have had (relatively paltry) earthquakes; we get insufferable humidity (but not like in the South, thank God!); AND we have stink bugs. [size=10pt] Must be our close proximity to D.C.[/size]--I'd say that's plenty calamitous enough, eh?  ;D
Notice the area in red:

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:
???  We DO get hurricanes and "super storms"; we have had (relatively paltry) earthquakes; we get insufferable humidity (but not like in the South, thank God!); AND we have stink bugs.  Must be our close proximity to D.C.--I'd say that's plenty calamitous enough, eh?  ;D
I spent a weekend in Jacksonville, FL this month.  It was 80 degrees and 90% humidity.  It felt gross.  Didn't see any stinkbugs, though.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I actually did not have a problem with them this year and its my first time in PA. And I'm saying this as someone who lived in Colorado that didn't have to deal with bugs.

My management property was slow on spraying chemicals to keep them at bay.

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:
I spent a weekend in Jacksonville, FL this month.  It was 80 degrees and 90% humidity.  It felt gross.  Didn't see any stinkbugs, though.
Two years ago they were only seen in eastern PA, the following year throughout the state and spreading. This year you can see above they are on the move. Just wait a while, they'll get to Fl soon enough. Nasty creatures - aliens.

"Shiny", no insecticide you would tolerate around you works on them.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
I'VE eaten a few throughout my life, usually with raspberries. they have the same intense taste as green, wild apples.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Αριστοκλής said:
Two years ago they were only seen in eastern PA, the following year throughout the state and spreading. This year you can see above they are on the move. Just wait a while, they'll get to Fl soon enough. Nasty creatures - aliens.
I'm sure they were hiding in the crawlspace of my in-laws' house.  I have seen them in Georgia and Tennessee, but not at the levels of PA.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Αριστοκλής said:
hecma925 said:
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:
Some places have hurricanes, others have earthquakes, we have stink bugs. We don't even get cool calamities in our area.  :mad:
???  We DO get hurricanes and "super storms"; we have had (relatively paltry) earthquakes; we get insufferable humidity (but not like in the South, thank God!); AND we have stink bugs.  Must be our close proximity to D.C.--I'd say that's plenty calamitous enough, eh?  ;D
I spent a weekend in Jacksonville, FL this month.  It was 80 degrees and 90% humidity.  It felt gross.  Didn't see any stinkbugs, though.

"Shiny", no insecticide you would tolerate around you works on them.
Have you ever tried CedarCide?

It works even on bed bugs and fleas.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
How bugs will travel.

Especially Chinese ones!

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
augustin717 said:
I'VE eaten a few throughout my life, usually with raspberries. they have the same intense taste as green, wild apples.
I wonder if one could can them as crabapples?

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Jetavan said:
TheTrisagion said:
First World Mid-Atlantic Problems.
Not quite, earlier we had the destructive Japanese Beetle invasion.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
username! said:
The outbreak is linked to a shipment of tires from China to Allentown Pennsylvania in 1994 i may have the year wrong. They are immune to food grade pesticides
Yeah I just read that. Crazy. I'm going to make a Pixar movie out of it.

yeshuaisiam

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Red chickens eat them (from any red family such as Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire Red) and if you get a bunch on the exterior of your home, dust DE over them.  (Diatomaceous Earth)  This is micro crushed seashells that hang out on the exoskeleton causing lacerations & death of the insect.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
yeshuaisiam said:
Red chickens eat them (from any red family such as Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire Red) and if you get a bunch on the exterior of your home, dust DE over them.  (Diatomaceous Earth)  This is micro crushed seashells that hang out on the exoskeleton causing lacerations & death of the insect.
The dust from DE can cause serious eye and lung infections. Not recommended.

Cedarcide works wonderfully indoors or outdoors.

Of course, if you have any of those Rhode Island Reds, they can gobble up insects like a vacuum cleaner, and provide delicious eggs.

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
The devastation from imported bugs is bad in Pennsylvania. All the hemlocks are dying from an adelgid. Ash trees are going extinct here from the emerald ash tree borer. Beech are sick. American elms are gone from the fungus. American chestnut are done from the blight. A five year attack by gypsymoths has decimated our oaks.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Jetavan said:
Just spray some deodorant over them. They should be fine.
:laugh:

Safer's Insecticidal Soap usually works wonderfully too.

You can make your own insecticidal soap using Bronner's Peppermint Soap. Just dilute some in a spray bottle. About one to two tablespoons of Bronner's in a pint of water will usually work. The peppermint oil helps the soap to be more effective. We have used it to kill yellowjackets and other nasty hornet invaders.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
username! said:
The devastation from imported bugs is bad in Pennsylvania. All the hemlocks are dying from an adelgid. Ash trees are going extinct here from the emerald ash tree borer. Beech are sick. American elms are gone from the fungus. American chestnut are done from the blight. A five year attack by gypsymoths has decimated our oaks.
We had some kind of insect attack (webs everywhere) on our Mulberry tree. I do not think that it was the Chinese silkworms as we did not see any silken cocoons, just long strands of webs everywhere. Our neighbor has raised Chinese silkworms for her school classes by borrowing some Mulberry tree leaves.

Anyway, we sprayed the Safer's Insecticidal soap and then tried some of the CedarCide. This year we have not noticed any attack. Now that the huge yellow and orange leaves have fallen, the tree is safe.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Jetavan said:
TheTrisagion said:
:D
We should have nuked Japan, China and the rest of those Asian countries where they originated from when we had the chance.

One bug rode the whole way to PA.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Shiny said:
TheTrisagion said:
Jetavan said:
TheTrisagion said:
We should have nuked Japan, China and the rest of those Asian countries where they originated from when we had the chance.

It's not too late. There is always time for a nuclear holocaust.

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Shiny said:
TheTrisagion said:
Jetavan said:
TheTrisagion said:

At least two...unless their super powers mean they never have a lonely friday evening..

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
username! said:
Is your mulberry the native usa species or the imported species, white mulberry?
We have both varieties. While the white variety was not attacked, the red one was brutally attacked.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Shiny said:
TheTrisagion said:
Jetavan said:
TheTrisagion said:

On a jet?

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
TheTrisagion said:
Shiny said:
TheTrisagion said:
Jetavan said:
TheTrisagion said:

It's not too late. There is always time for a nuclear holocaust.
Then we'd get overrun by scorpions and cockroaches. Who wants that?

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably on a container by ship to west coast then train then container put on truck then delivered. That's how most chinese shipments come.next year the panama canal will be wide enough to take chinese super ships and will deliver containers directly to eastern ports. I live by the busiest rail line in the east. They run trains with containers stacked two high that are 2.5miles long all day everyday carrying mainly chinese goods. They return west empty. Its an efficient system. Now norfolk southern has container yards every few hundred miles so a shipper can move freight short distances and deliver by trucks locally. This will take alot of strain off the highways and save lots of fuel.
Norfolk southern fixed a corridor between norfolk va and chicago for the new panama canal ships which will reduce shipment time from china by 1.5 days. Its called the heartland corridor.  

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
username! said:
Probably on a container by ship to west coast then train then container put on truck then delivered. That's how most chinese shipments come.next year the panama canal will be wide enough to take chinese super ships and will deliver containers directly to eastern ports. I live by the busiest rail line in the east. They run trains with containers stacked two high that are 2.5miles long all day everyday carrying mainly chinese goods. They return west empty. Its an efficient system. Now norfolk southern has container yards every few hundred miles so a shipper can move freight short distances and deliver by trucks locally. This will take alot of strain off the highways and save lots of fuel.
Norfolk southern fixed a corridor between norfolk va and chicago for the new panama canal ships which will reduce shipment time from china by 1.5 days. Its called the heartland corridor.  
Ah, you should have named this thread: How Bugs Can Travel

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
username! said:
My least favorite imported organism is lymes disease huge epidemic in Pennsylvania
I think I am going to start a new thread as lyme disease is more than you suspect, and any discussion here will take this thread off topic for sure. Please click the link below to keep this current thread on topic.

Lyme disease may be transmitted sexually & transplacentally

See this new thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,55759.new.html#new

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
username! said:
Since bugs have the apparatus to inflict a bite, does this one deliver a bite?