• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Stink Bugs

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
username! said:
No they don't bite. They stink like musky cilantro when crushed. They buzz loudly when in flight. They are terrible on crops too.
I think I saw some here in California. Do you have any pictures of these bugs?

We also have the Assassin Bug that comes from Mexico. It can cause a tropical disease Chagas. Quite nasty. It was originally thought by the CDC that the Assassin bug could not transfer Chagas in the USA, but what does the CDC know anyway. Their story changes every year.

Anyway, this bug is bad news as it will bite generally around the eyes and cause quite a shiner the morning after.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/chagas/gen_info/vectors/

These Stink Bugs look very much like an Assassin bug to an untrained eye, but theire are differences if one looks closely at the eye, mouth, and head structure.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Maria said:
These Stink Bugs look very much like an Assassin bug to an untrained eye, but theire are differences if one looks closely at the eye, mouth, and head structure.
By the time you get that close enough to tell the difference, you just got bit.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Jetavan said:
Maria said:
These Stink Bugs look very much like an Assassin bug to an untrained eye, but there are differences if one looks closely at the eye, mouth, and head structure.
That is why you capture those stinking bugs under a glass.
There is a specially designed cup with a magnifying glass on top, so you can look down and identify features without the little beast biting you.

All bugs can bite if aggravated.

I took an upper division course in entomology. It was fascinating. Everyone should be required to take that course.

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
Maria said:
Jetavan said:
Maria said:
These Stink Bugs look very much like an Assassin bug to an untrained eye, but there are differences if one looks closely at the eye, mouth, and head structure.
There is a specially designed cup with a magnifying glass on top, so you can look down and identify features without the little beast biting you.

I took an upper division course in entomology. It was fascinating. Everyone should be required to take that course.
Until one deals with these directly one will not know how much that solution just will not work on the marmolated variety. These things are nasty. It does not take much to startle them and when they are....ugh, the odor is not some unpleasantness that quickly subsides the way of our native bugs, but stomach turning fetidness.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Αριστοκλής said:
Maria said:
Jetavan said:
Maria said:

Until one deals with these directly one will not know how much that solution just will not work on the marmolated variety. These things are nasty. It does not take much to startle them and when they are....ugh, the odor is not some unpleasantness that quickly subsides the way of our native bugs, but stomach turning fetidness.
A miniature skunk .... hmmm.
I wonder if the same chemical is used by skunks and marmolated stinkers.