• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Story from Eparchy of Zahumlje and Herzegovina - Is this true?

Menas17

Reaction score
Bishop Demitrios and the mask mandate

Was not sure if I should post this under a different section, but, I guess it could also be news (please feel free to move it mods)

Is this story true?

English Translation

Bishop Demetrios, the spiritual son of Gregory Bishop, served it on the feast of the Presentation of the Virgin in Zavala, the glory of the monastery. He took a package with masks with him, which they distributed to the people and said that only singers do not have to put them on .

Then he told Father Vasilije to put on a mask to give communion to the people, which he refused, THREE TIMES. The bishop then took his chalice and said: " Well, I will take communion then!" He put on a mask and when he went out the door, it started burning. First the butter, then the whole bishop. It seemed to the present believers that the fire came from the icon of the Most Holy Mother of God. The bishop started beating his hands, the chalice fell out, he poured Communion, he fled to the altar. Eyewitnesses say that they have never seen anything worse in their lives.
Excerpt added. --Ainnir

Last edited by a moderator:

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
In the future, please post the first paragraph or two from links that don't give a preview. Thanks. --Ainnir

Stinky

Reaction score
" First the butter then the whole bishop"
I didn't get distracted by the word "butter" when I visualized " the whole bishop " being on fire.
I'm new. So many new words. I tried to think of what a butter was. Seriously.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Maybe I have been Orthodox just long enough that I have no qualms about a bishop being on fire, but am ill at ease with the prospect of butter being near the altar.

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the mask caught fire. That must be some kind of sign from God.
Is he saying don't wear masks?

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Apparently, the bishop was holding napkins soaked in alcohol for sanitizing the communion spoon, so that he caught on fire is not hard to believe.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
The site borbazaveru is a quite radical site. They denounced so far the majority of the bishops (in the Serbian Orthodox church) - even writing in support of non-canonical bishops. I wouldn't believe in their stories.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed the article’s closing comment. 😕

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
If a bishop truly caught on fire, we would all have heard about it. I take this article with a grain of salt.

The other week someone posted that the priest holding the chalice was lit by uncreated light... when clearly it was the sun hitting him through the window.