Strange icons

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
EofK said:
You know, I caught myself doing this on the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee... I was struggling to hang on to my squirmy one year old and bent to kiss the icon before I realized I had just venerated the Pharisee.  Oops.  At least Caitlin got it right.  ;)
On American sites I've found two uncommon (at least for me) icons: icon for Sunday of the Prodigal Son and icon for Sunday of Publican and Pharisee.

Is it Greek or American Orthodox tradition? Are there any more icons which don't present Saints, events/persons from the Bible, events/persons from the Tradition but some unreal things?

Are they treated (venerated) as normal icons or are they just to illustrate pararels? Why the Publican has a halo despite being not canonised and even not real?

Sorry EofK for imposing your post but it made me think.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I was wondering the other day if there is an icon of the Lord with all of the children gathered around Him.  I know it's a familiar Protestant illustration for Sunday Schools and such, but I actually think that sort of icon would be really good for the Orthodox kiddos.

Orthodox11

Archon
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
I was wondering the other day if there is an icon of the Lord with all of the children gathered around Him.  I know it's a familiar Protestant illustration for Sunday Schools and such, but I actually think that sort of icon would be really good for the Orthodox kiddos.

You can buy it here

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
But this icon presents event from the Gospel, the REAL event. Not the story Jesus told His Disciples.

CRCulver

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Helsinki, Finland or Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Website
www.christopherculver.com
The church at which I worship in Romania has its walls completely covered with iconography and two levels of icons are depictions of Christ's parables. So, even "fictional" personages are depicted in iconography. The icon depicting the Parable of the Good Samaritan, however, features Christ in the role of the Good Samaritan.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
mike said:
On American sites I've found two uncommon (at least for me) icons: icon for Sunday of the Prodigal Son and icon for Sunday of Publican and Pharisee.

Is it Greek or American Orthodox tradition? Are there any more icons which don't present Saints, events/persons from the Bible, events/persons from the Tradition but some unreal things?

Are they treated (venerated) as normal icons or are they just to illustrate pararels? Why the Publican has a halo despite being not canonised and even not real?

Sorry EofK for imposing your post but it made me think.
There are a number of different icons that depict parables, and references.  An example is the icon of the ladder into heaven - an image of Jacob's (the Patriarch) dream, but the icon depicts Christ at the top with the Theotokos.  Or the icon of the Burning Bush, which sometimes depicts the Theotokos in the midst of the bush with the fire in her womb.

The icon of the Publican & Pharisee has a halo on the Publican after his prayer (not before) because in Christ's words "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God." (NIV)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
mike said:
Should they (that icons) be venerated?
I suppose so; the icon is still a reflection of a heavenly reality in earthly form, pointing to an example of Christian life.

Rosehip

Archon
Reaction score
That's awful, Mike!  :(

A question that came to my mind recently was pertaining to the frequently depicted in the west image of Christ as the Good Shepherd. I don't know if I've ever seen this presented as an icon in the Orthodox Church-why is this? Also the one of Christ knocking at the door-this too I've never seen as an icon. I think both pictures are very familiar and dear to most Protestants.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Rosehip said:

A question that came to my mind recently was pertaining to the frequently depicted in the west image of Christ as the Good Shepherd. I don't know if I've ever seen this presented as an icon in the Orthodox Church-why is this? Also the one of Christ knocking at the door-this too I've never seen as an icon. I think both pictures are very familiar and dear to most Protestants.

Do you mean an image like this as Christ as Good Shepherd?  I've seen this icon many times in Orthodox churches/suppliers and even bought one just like it for an ex-girlfriend once. 

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Schultz said:
Rosehip said:

Do you mean an image like this as Christ as Good Shepherd?  I've seen this icon many times in Orthodox churches/suppliers and even bought one just like it for an ex-girlfriend once. 

I have this icon.  :)

Rosehip

Archon
Reaction score
Thanks, Shultz! No, I've never, ever seen it before! Never in a church and never anywhere else! It's very nice.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
One year we have given this icon of the Good Shepherd to the children who were going to their First Confession.

The soccer "icon" is very sad to see.  The Theotokos and Christ Child are beautiful....however, the soccer field...pppllllease.

I cannot imagine their clergy approve of it.

This is just another example where people lose the spiritual aspect of their Faith, and use their faith as just another custom, or tradition....no spiritual thinking behind it.
Quite sad.

pensateomnia

Archon
Reaction score
Rosehip said:
A question that came to my mind recently was pertaining to the frequently depicted in the west image of Christ as the Good Shepherd. I don't know if I've ever seen this presented as an icon in the Orthodox Church-why is this?
I have seen several modern Orthodox icons of the Good Shepherd. In the Roman Catacombs, there are something like 114 documented representations of the Good Shepherd, dating from the 2nd through 3rd century. There's also a very famous late antique/early Byzantine version of the Good Shepherd in Ravenna. Reproduced below:

Images of a shepherd with a lamb over his back were very popular -- and very symbolic -- in the Greco-Roman world for a number of centuries, especially in the second century. Most of the philosophical schools (among which Christianity was sometimes numbered) taught that right-living consisted of (1) piety toward God and (2) philanthropy/benevolence toward neighbors.

Piety was depicted by a man in an orans position (lifting up hands in prayer). Philanthropy by a man with a sheep over his shoulders. These twin images appear on many pagan (and Christian) sarcophagi, and were even made part of the State's iconography by particularly philosophically inclined emperors like Marcus Aurelius.

Rosehip

Archon
Reaction score
That's so interesting, pensateomnia! Thanks for that information! I'm a bit surprised I've never seen this icon in any Russian church. For some reason, I don't really like the cross in the back of the icon. I still think I prefer the "protestant" pictures of Christ, holding a lamb in His arms, and a staff in one of His hands, surrounded by sheep...don't know what it is, but that image strikes me as more "natural", although I do like the one Shultz posted-just not sure about the cross in the background.