• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Strange icons

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
6,256
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
26
Location
Mesa, AZ
That thing with the soccer ball is truly worse than anything the Romans have ever created - even clown masses.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
JamesRottnek said:
That thing with the soccer ball is truly worse than anything the Romans have ever created - even clown masses.
Good for you!
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,379
Reaction score
108
Points
63
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
Over at monachos.net, there's an entire thread on non-canonical icons. I'll post some of the pictures later. Just goes to show that Orthodox artists make mistakes, too.  ::)
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,643
Reaction score
2
Points
38
biro said:
Over at monachos.net, there's an entire thread on non-canonical icons. I'll post some of the pictures later. Just goes to show that Orthodox artists make mistakes, too.  ::)
There are several threads at monachos.net on non-canonical icons. They are very useful, detailed and instructive.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,379
Reaction score
108
Points
63
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
This is somehow supposed to be the Trinity. I think.




This is 'Holy Silence.' Not exactly sure why it copies some elements of the Virgin of the Sign.




This is, somehow, the Ancient of Days and the Holy Spirit. Maybe. Er....




'Angel Countenance.' Angels are normally depicted as male.  :-\




'Angel of the Sign.' With all respect, an angel did not give birth to Jesus.  ???




There were weirder ones. I would like to see a book on unusual icons, if only to show us what is not allowed and what is.
 

HabteSelassie

Archon
Joined
Nov 2, 2010
Messages
3,314
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name  of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Cognomen said:
Well, it's an icon and it's strange:


Cynocephalus St. Christopher.  One of several found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynocephaly
I like that in the way it elaborates on the truly symobolic nature of religious imagery.  I was discussing of all things the merits of Egyptian icongraphy of strange and mismatched animal-men which some folks have said are representations of the Reptilian shape-shifting aliens as part of the said conspiracy.  I had to explain that religious imagery is not meant to be taken literal, the images are symbols.  Each abnormal or different representation takes on a symbolic significance, and I especially like to see the Dog-headed Saint Christopher icons to drive the point home.

Here are some eccentric Icons from the Ethiopian tradition:


That is Saint Tekle Haimanot, and yes, that is his leg there next to him on the ground, he stood in prayer for seven consecutive years until its said his leg simply fell off in order to make it easier to continue standing in prayer!


This is Saint Gebre Menfes Kidus, who rolled around perpetually with a crew of wild animals including these pairs of big cats.  Obviously he was an intimidating presence to the local governors in that in the Grace of God he could speak with and even command the wildest and most dangerous of animals!  Of course he was in fact a very kind natured monk-saint who only used his monastic agency (in Ethiopian tradition, recluse monks have the social authority to openly and even rudely criticize secular leaders without punishment whereas commoners would be whipped or even worse for much less an offense) when extremely pressed by notoriously corrupt leaders.


These classic Cherub (Kirubel in Ge'ez) can be a bit bewildering in their abundance and repetition, signifying the continuity of the Kingdom and Will of God which the angels fulfill.



Saint Abba Aregawi conquering the Serpent before founding the Debre Damo mountain top monastery, I couldn't find an online image of the traditional mural painting like we have in my parish where Abba Aregawi is not wrestling with the serpent, but rather is actually riding it up the mountain like a rope-swing elevator!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
This one:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/40603_137807409587808_100000756494006_166137_754393_n.jpg

Kinda drastic so don't click when you are sensitive.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,501
Reaction score
265
Points
83
Age
41
^ Would be a beautiful chapel with better icons...  :angel:
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,643
Reaction score
2
Points
38
^ They're horrible! The holy ones on the iconostasis look ghastly, emaciated, ravaged, with a deer-in-the-headlights look in their eyes, bordering on naked terror. Might be OK in a medieval Gothic church, but there is no place for such travesties in an Orthodox church! Whoever painted these images has NO idea of what iconography is. Where is the gravitas, stillness, dignity, reverence and spiritual power that good and proper icons possess and proclaim? What a crying shame that a beautiful iconostasis, made by skilled hands, has been spoiled by these artistic flights of fancy. Shameful.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,501
Reaction score
265
Points
83
Age
41
Michał said:
Here is a couple of unusual icons: http://goo.gl/T05OW
Which ones? Every once in a while I see one that is unfamiliar (such as this one), but the rest ... *shrugs*
 

jah777

Archon
Joined
May 29, 2008
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1
Points
0
LBK said:
^ They're horrible! The holy ones on the iconostasis look ghastly, emaciated, ravaged, with a deer-in-the-headlights look in their eyes, bordering on naked terror. Might be OK in a medieval Gothic church, but there is no place for such travesties in an Orthodox church! Whoever painted these images has NO idea of what iconography is. Where is the gravitas, stillness, dignity, reverence and spiritual power that good and proper icons possess and proclaim? What a crying shame that a beautiful iconostasis, made by skilled hands, has been spoiled by these artistic flights of fancy. Shameful.
My first thought when I saw the icons on the iconostasis was "Night of the Living Dead".  They all look like zombies, absolutely hideous to behold.  If icons reflect the spiritual state of the iconographer, this work does not reflect well on the one who panted them.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
biro said:
This is somehow supposed to be the Trinity. I think.

Are you sure that's supposed to be an Orthodox icon? Looks like an alchemical emblem.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,643
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Iconodule said:
biro said:
This is somehow supposed to be the Trinity. I think.

Are you sure that's supposed to be an Orthodox icon? Looks like an alchemical emblem.
It's a Freemason painting.
 

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
7,416
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Location
Missouri, USA
jah777 said:
They all look like zombies, absolutely hideous to behold.
I was thinking about how creepy they looked too. I don't think I could make it through a service there.
 

Hiwot

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
1,934
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
44
Location
USA
ag_vn said:
ok I am very curious , where is this Church ? and how come the icons look like they are taken from somewherelse and posted there ? they did not look like byzantine to me, but are they? I see on the top the byzantine Trinitarian icon though even that is unusualy gray, but the bottom ones i mean the grey ones they do not look like they are.
 

Hiwot

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
1,934
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
44
Location
USA
LOL I am glad its not me alone who got spooked by them
 

Joseph Hazen

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
160
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hiwot said:
ok I am very curious , where is this Church ? and how come the icons look like they are taken from somewherelse and posted there ? they did not look like byzantine to me, but are they? I see on the top the byzantine Trinitarian icon though even that is unusualy gray, but the bottom ones i mean the grey ones they do not look like they are.
It is "St. Petka" in Bulgaria, built according to the wishes of and to honor a fortune teller and psychic "Baba Vanga". As far as I can tell it's not an Orthodox Church.
 

ag_vn

Elder
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
409
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
FrChris said:
Michał Kalina said:
@ag_vn : Where is that?
Yes....I'm curious too!
Hiwot said:
ok I am very curious , where is this Church ?
This is the Saint Petka (Petka is Paraskevi in Bulgarian) church in Rupite, Bulgaria. It was built with donations from Vanga. The site was chosen by her.


Joseph Hazen said:
As far as I can tell it's not an Orthodox Church.
Well, it is an Orthodox church. It was consecrated by the local Metropolitan, but at the time of consecration these icons weren't there. As far as I know they were put later.

 

ag_vn

Elder
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
409
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
jah777 said:
LBK said:
^ They're horrible! The holy ones on the iconostasis look ghastly, emaciated, ravaged, with a deer-in-the-headlights look in their eyes, bordering on naked terror. Might be OK in a medieval Gothic church, but there is no place for such travesties in an Orthodox church! Whoever painted these images has NO idea of what iconography is. Where is the gravitas, stillness, dignity, reverence and spiritual power that good and proper icons possess and proclaim? What a crying shame that a beautiful iconostasis, made by skilled hands, has been spoiled by these artistic flights of fancy. Shameful.
My first thought when I saw the icons on the iconostasis was "Night of the Living Dead".  They all look like zombies, absolutely hideous to behold.  If icons reflect the spiritual state of the iconographer, this work does not reflect well on the one who panted them.
These "icons" were painted by Svetlin Russev (Светлин Русев), a Bulgarian artist, so he is not an iconographer. He was a close friend of Vanga and is considered by many an Occultist.

Although a consecrated Orthodox church, for many it is mainly a place for veneration of Vanga. Her followers and fans regard her as a prophetess, while regular Orthodox faithful consider her an Occultist phenomenon or even witch. From what I know the existing of these "icons" is a scandalous among the faithful.
 

Joseph Hazen

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
160
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ag_vn said:
Well, it is an Orthodox church. It was consecrated by the local Metropolitan, but at the time of consecration these icons weren't there. As far as I know they were put later.
Ah, all I could find was one website that I had to run through a translator, so the quality was very bad. Thanks for the correction.
 

ag_vn

Elder
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
409
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
^The one on the left is not exactly a bishop's throne, although it's a smaller throne with a pseudo-icon of Vanga "blessing" the people.







 

ag_vn

Elder
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
409
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
AZCatholic said:
I have never seen an icon like this!
I like it. The mantle with so many stars is beautiful.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
AZCatholic said:
I have never seen an icon like this!

I think this would be a variant of "The Passion":


The difference being that Christ is carrying a big cross and spears instead of the angels carrying little ones.
 

Michał

High Elder
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
821
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Mazovia, Poland
Iconodule said:
I think this would be a variant of "The Passion":
[. . .]
The difference being that Christ is carrying a big cross and spears instead of the angels carrying little ones.
There are more differences. I don't think it is a variant of the Strastnaya icon. It is simply a different icon called Novonikitskaya. There is another one similar to it, known as Svyato-Krestovskaya:
 
Top