Strange icons

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
The cover of the July-September 2013 edition of Georgian Mirror, an Indian Orthodox publication, depicts an icon of the Hospitality of Abraham done in a South Indian style. 

The caption at the bottom translates (roughly) as "Vision of the Trinity", but I welcome corrections. 

I tried uploading the image to this thread, but Mr Computer told me that the upload folder was full and so no attachment could go through.  The link above should work. 
Very neat. Is this a recent thing (hence strange icons thread, I guess), or are there actually some interpretations of the Hospitality of Abraham as Trinitarian in the OO Churches?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
We regard the appearance of the three angels to Abraham as a type of the Trinity, that interpretation is quite traditional.  This icon, on the other hand, is a modern, South Indian version of the Byzantine icon of this subject.  AFAIK, Byzantine style iconography and Indian adaptations thereof are a recent phenomenon in India (~30-40 years?). 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Just a bit strange - I've never before seen such type of icon of st. Matrona

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
Just a bit strange - I've never before seen such type of icon of st. Matrona
This is not meant to be an icon in its own right, but is part of a "life" icon - the saint is shown in a large central panel, surrounded by smaller panels, each panel showing a scene from the saint's life.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
LBK said:
This is not meant to be an icon in its own right, but is part of a "life" icon - the saint is shown in a large central panel, surrounded by smaller panels, each panel showing a scene from the saint's life.
I forgot about this case, as I'd seen it alone. Now it's explained, thank you :)

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Nephi said:
That looks suspiciously like an image of the "Perfect Freemason" I saw in my father-in-law's Freemason History book.  I'll see if I can rustle up a photo.

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
What on earth is that thing?
I think it's the sun, so nothing on earth. :angel:

Anyway, it's from the Bulgarian Rila Monastery which otherwise has some of the most beautiful stuff I've ever seen pictures of.

Eastern Mind

High Elder
Reaction score
JamesR said:

/thread

inb4crazyoldbrainwashedrussianscomein
Ah, ha. This is the one Christopher Hitchens must have been going on about.