Strange icons

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
The Fatima apparitions were to three children--two girls and a boy--and didn't involve the Christ Child until the very last vision.  But this icon has what appear to be three boys.  I don't know why you would assume I hate children?  ???  That's rather unkind.   

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
The Fatima apparitions were to three children--two girls and a boy--and didn't involve the Christ Child until the very last vision.  But this icon has what appear to be three boys.  I don't know why you would assume I hate children?  ???  That's rather unkind.   
I apologize, I was being facetious.  I wrote based solely on what you wrote:  "The kids are all wrong."  Please forgive me.

Yes, you're right, if it is an "icon" of the Fatima apparition.  Unless, these three boys are representative of all children?  I'm not sure.

Eastern Mind

High Elder
Reaction score
That icon reminds me of the "Sub Tuum" hymn.

LBK where are you???  :laugh:

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Here I am!  :D

Where did this image come from?

I thought the inscription was trying to say "Fatima", but the first letter is an Y (ou in Slavonic), not a Θ (f in Slavonic). There's a chance it could be trying to say "The Mother of All" (Mama o Ultima) though it appears to be misspelled. If so, the picture is yet another piece of social commentary. Honorable in intent, but outside the boundaries of what icons are supposed to be.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I got it off someone's wall on Facebook.  No additional information was provided.  It was just in a set of icon images.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
I got it off someone's wall on Facebook.   No additional information was provided.  It was just in a set of icon images.
Any chance of a link? The other images might provide clues.  :)

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I realize this isn't really an icon, but what would the use for this be other than perhaps decoration?

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Nephi said:
"The Hospitality of Abraham in the style of St. Alban’s Psalter, by Peter Murphy"

LBK ain't going to like this because although you can't depict God the Father as an "old man" nor at all, you can depict Him as a man in this particular icon. Making the icon so precise to bring out the noetic nature of the visitors to Abraham I think means you can no longer have your Trinity cake and eat it to.
Sorry orthonorm but you are wrong here. The icon is of the Trinity, not of the Father. In fact it's more of an icon of an icon since the angels with Christ acted as a type of the Trinity.

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
Nephi said:
I realize this isn't really an icon, but what would the use for this be other than perhaps decoration?

It's supposed to represent the footprint left behind after the apparition of Our Lady of Pochaev. Strange.

Many years,

Neil 

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Irish Melkite said:
Nephi said:

It's supposed to represent the footprint left behind after the apparition of Our Lady of Pochaev. Strange.

Many years,

Neil 
It is indeed representing the miraculous footprint at Pochaev. It would have been far better to have a properPochaevskaya icon which features the footprint (many of them do).

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Nephi said:
"The Hospitality of Abraham in the style of St. Alban’s Psalter, by Peter Murphy"

Was the lamb's head in the chalice in the original?  I can't tell.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Was the lamb's head in the chalice in the original?  I can't tell.
Not a lamb's head, but a calf's head.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I saw this one after I saw the ones with Mary with her hair uncovered.