Strange icons

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Pravoslavac said:
LenInSebastopol said:
We can demonize any group of killers, as they are not a respecter of life anywhere.
The NATO group does not specify killing Orthodox because they are Christians. It is not against the law to be so.
Though there are groups of killers that wish to kill Jews & Christians and different Muslims for such.

Lord, have mercy.
NATO's imperialist politics ruined lives of Orthodox Christians in Bosnia, Kosovo, Syria, Ukraine, if they could, they would burn Russia to the ground. I know their goal is not Orthodox Christianity, but they always end up destabilizing countries with large Orthodox population.
I like that POV and didn't think of it as you do!  Of course, as I understand it, there was "stuff" going on in those regions and NATO responded. It is not the case that they were peacefully minding their own business in a manner that brought joy to all inhabitants. It is also the case that if NATO disbanded then Russia would move into those regions and make many other lives problematic, no? Maybe you think YES, it would be wonderful if Russia moved into Poland, Ukraine, Latvia, Belarus, Estonia maybe Germany, France, and any place else her imperialistic leaders wished? Maybe so, but it's more than I think NOT.
HEY, no more, no politics. I forgot, in my passions. Basta!

Pravoslavac

High Elder
Reaction score
LenInSebastopol said:
Pravoslavac said:
LenInSebastopol said:
We can demonize any group of killers, as they are not a respecter of life anywhere.
The NATO group does not specify killing Orthodox because they are Christians. It is not against the law to be so.
Though there are groups of killers that wish to kill Jews & Christians and different Muslims for such.

Lord, have mercy.
NATO's imperialist politics ruined lives of Orthodox Christians in Bosnia, Kosovo, Syria, Ukraine, if they could, they would burn Russia to the ground. I know their goal is not Orthodox Christianity, but they always end up destabilizing countries with large Orthodox population.
I like that POV and didn't think of it as you do!  Of course, as I understand it, there was "stuff" going on in those regions and NATO responded. It is not the case that they were peacefully minding their own business in a manner that brought joy to all inhabitants. It is also the case that if NATO disbanded then Russia would move into those regions and make many other lives problematic, no? Maybe you think YES, it would be wonderful if Russia moved into Poland, Ukraine, Latvia, Belarus, Estonia maybe Germany, France, and any place else her imperialistic leaders wished? Maybe so, but it's more than I think NOT.
HEY, no more, no politics. I forgot, in my passions. Basta!
Well it is either Russia or USA who move in to Poland. lol Russia is at least Slavic, just like Poland. And Russia is moving in only in to countries that have vast Russian population, unlike USA which moves in to Iraq or Vietnam which had none US citizens there. Basta!

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
If only we put such passions into Icons, then maybe no strange ones would be on this thread.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Theotokos with North African Saints, in the background there is Russian Orthodox church in Rabat

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I don't think it's strange. It's one of the nicer ones on this thread.  :)

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I don't know if this is "strange", but can someone explain what the creature, where the river of fire seems to flow into its mouth, in this icon is supposed to symbolize?

Is that supposed to be a representation of Gehenna itself?

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Dominika said:
From the website of the Finnish Orthodox Church. I have no idea who is depicted here.
I think it is Holy Sarah Kali, it's a gypsy popular saint, protectress of the romani people, allegedly Sara Kali was one of the women at the Calvary and friend of the Theotokos.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
St. Michael Archangel

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Unidentified

dhinuus

High Elder
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Is there a canon about showing the Theotokos within the Burning Bush?

In the Syriac Orthodox 'shimo' (book of common prayer) you can see the following hymn in the sapro (morning prayers) of Tuesday.

sanyo haw daHzo mooshé b-Toor seenay.
lek hoo Soy-ar hwo bthulto qadeeshto.
sanyo roshem hwo l-gushmek qadeesho.
wabthulayk Tarfaw d-lo ethHarak hwaw.
`am halelooyah w-halelooyah.
w-nuro dabsanyo aloho d-bek shro.

Which is translated as:

The bush that Moses saw on the Mount Sinai
was symbolic of you, Holy Virgin.
The bush indicated your holy body
and the leaf unsinged, your virginity.
Halleluiah w-Halleluiah
and God Who dwelled in you by the fire on the bush.

You can listen to the hymn in Syriac at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c604MG996q8#t=00m39s

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Oh I know the symbolism. It's nice.

It just seems strange to specifically paint her there as though she were there at the time as opposed to God speaking to Moses. But I guess it still works.

nothing said:
I don't know if this is "strange", but can someone explain what the creature, where the river of fire seems to flow into its mouth, in this icon is supposed to symbolize?

Is that supposed to be a representation of Gehenna itself?
I'm pretty sure it is, yeah.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
juliogb said:
St. Michael Archangel
I like it! It's fitting that a portrayal of an angel would be all abstract-ish.

The third icon looks like St. George to me.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
I think it is somtheing related to the martyrdom of Constantine Brancoveanu and his family by ottoman turks.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Another ethiopian icon

Georgian icons

St. Michael (quite similar with Garuda)

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
juliogb said:
Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn

As for me being Polish it's not strange at all, as along with the Częstochowska icon the Ostrobramska one is the most venerated by our nation ;)

Mor Ephrem said:
That's amazing! Really "the sing of Jonah". Until now I've seen only something like this

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Minnesotan said:
Porter ODoran said:
No, the images were meant to hold up for veneration the first shedding of blood of the Christ for us (namely, his circumcision). There were cults of the "first wound" as there would later be cults of the "sacred heart" and so forth.
Yep.
A generation or so earlier, the Austrian nun Agnes Blannbekin "led a life devoted to the foreskin of Jesus". The study says: "She was obsessed by the loss of blood and the pain which the redeemer had suffered during his circumcision. On one occasion, when she was moved to tears by the thought of this suffering, she suddenly felt the foreskin on her tongue.
Yeah, I could have gone my entire life without knowing that.
I can't believe in all our time together nick didn't regale you with this one of his many enthusiasms.

Czar Lazar

Elder
Reaction score
Pravoslavac said:
LBK said:
Pravoslavac said:

Here is another one, saint Mark of Ephesus trampling the pope of Rome, with saint Justin Popovich (right) and saint bishop Nikolai Velimirovich (left) and Lord Jesus Christ above all.
It still doesn't make such imagery right or suitable for veneration. Iconography should never be corrupted by polemics or anger. The saying written between Sts Justin and Nikolai should not be there, either.
I think in days of dirty ecumenism business, we need few icons like this. It is reminder, not polemics or anger.
I would note that there is a relativity lucrative and large business of selling and making "unofficial" and "un-Orthodox" icons in the former Yugoslavia. I have personally been in small apartments stacked to the ceilings with these "homemade" icons: such "icons" cannot be considered the same as the Holy Icons of the Holy Church made by her monks and nuns in the monasteries. In addition, it was a practice of the communist regime and its supporters to make "icons" of such non-Orthodox people but to uphold those secular defenders of the Party and so forth (I have one such "icon" myself -- given to me as a gift).

Czar Lazar

Elder
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Anna.T said:
Volnutt said:
I've always been told using icons for polemical purposes like this is wrong.
I wondered about that too. I've never seen any, as I recall.
There's the delightful nuttiness of the add-on to the traditional Mystical Ark of Salvation icon to include the Pope, Luther, and international Jewry shooting at the Church.

I viewed this icon hanging in a Monastery I visited.

Czar Lazar

Elder
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was claimed that the icon was from Mt. Athos at The Holy Monastery of Zographou

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Czar Lazar said:
If I remember correctly, it was claimed that the icon was from Mt. Athos at The Holy Monastery of Zographou
There are definitely older versions of this icon- I personally saw a version dated to Russian in the 1700's. However a ROCOR priest said he witnessed this particular one being painted by a monk in the USA while listening to Rush Limbaugh (he wasn't joking).

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I've seen that icon in the lobby of my local ROCOR parish.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
A very curious icon of Jesus Christ I found today, by Br. Robert Lentz.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Anna.T said:
Volnutt said:
There's the delightful nuttiness of the add-on to the traditional Mystical Ark of Salvation icon to include the Pope, Luther, and international Jewry shooting at the Church.

I don't see the Jews.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
Volnutt said:
Anna.T said:
Volnutt said:

I don't see the Jews.
They're tricky like that.