Strange icons

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
That thing with the soccer ball is truly worse than anything the Romans have ever created - even clown masses.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
That thing with the soccer ball is truly worse than anything the Romans have ever created - even clown masses.
Good for you!

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Over at monachos.net, there's an entire thread on non-canonical icons. I'll post some of the pictures later. Just goes to show that Orthodox artists make mistakes, too.  ::)

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Over at monachos.net, there's an entire thread on non-canonical icons. I'll post some of the pictures later. Just goes to show that Orthodox artists make mistakes, too.  ::)
There are several threads at monachos.net on non-canonical icons. They are very useful, detailed and instructive.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
This is somehow supposed to be the Trinity. I think.

This is 'Holy Silence.' Not exactly sure why it copies some elements of the Virgin of the Sign.

This is, somehow, the Ancient of Days and the Holy Spirit. Maybe. Er....

'Angel Countenance.' Angels are normally depicted as male.  :-\

'Angel of the Sign.' With all respect, an angel did not give birth to Jesus.  ???

There were weirder ones. I would like to see a book on unusual icons, if only to show us what is not allowed and what is.

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name  of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Cognomen said:
Well, it's an icon and it's strange:

Cynocephalus St. Christopher.  One of several found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynocephaly
I like that in the way it elaborates on the truly symobolic nature of religious imagery.  I was discussing of all things the merits of Egyptian icongraphy of strange and mismatched animal-men which some folks have said are representations of the Reptilian shape-shifting aliens as part of the said conspiracy.  I had to explain that religious imagery is not meant to be taken literal, the images are symbols.  Each abnormal or different representation takes on a symbolic significance, and I especially like to see the Dog-headed Saint Christopher icons to drive the point home.

Here are some eccentric Icons from the Ethiopian tradition:

That is Saint Tekle Haimanot, and yes, that is his leg there next to him on the ground, he stood in prayer for seven consecutive years until its said his leg simply fell off in order to make it easier to continue standing in prayer!

This is Saint Gebre Menfes Kidus, who rolled around perpetually with a crew of wild animals including these pairs of big cats.  Obviously he was an intimidating presence to the local governors in that in the Grace of God he could speak with and even command the wildest and most dangerous of animals!  Of course he was in fact a very kind natured monk-saint who only used his monastic agency (in Ethiopian tradition, recluse monks have the social authority to openly and even rudely criticize secular leaders without punishment whereas commoners would be whipped or even worse for much less an offense) when extremely pressed by notoriously corrupt leaders.

These classic Cherub (Kirubel in Ge'ez) can be a bit bewildering in their abundance and repetition, signifying the continuity of the Kingdom and Will of God which the angels fulfill.

Saint Abba Aregawi conquering the Serpent before founding the Debre Damo mountain top monastery, I couldn't find an online image of the traditional mural painting like we have in my parish where Abba Aregawi is not wrestling with the serpent, but rather is actually riding it up the mountain like a rope-swing elevator!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
This one:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/40603_137807409587808_100000756494006_166137_754393_n.jpg

Kinda drastic so don't click when you are sensitive.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
^ Would be a beautiful chapel with better icons...  :angel:

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
^ They're horrible! The holy ones on the iconostasis look ghastly, emaciated, ravaged, with a deer-in-the-headlights look in their eyes, bordering on naked terror. Might be OK in a medieval Gothic church, but there is no place for such travesties in an Orthodox church! Whoever painted these images has NO idea of what iconography is. Where is the gravitas, stillness, dignity, reverence and spiritual power that good and proper icons possess and proclaim? What a crying shame that a beautiful iconostasis, made by skilled hands, has been spoiled by these artistic flights of fancy. Shameful.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Michał said:
Here is a couple of unusual icons: http://goo.gl/T05OW
Which ones? Every once in a while I see one that is unfamiliar (such as this one), but the rest ... *shrugs*

jah777

Archon
Reaction score
LBK said:
^ They're horrible! The holy ones on the iconostasis look ghastly, emaciated, ravaged, with a deer-in-the-headlights look in their eyes, bordering on naked terror. Might be OK in a medieval Gothic church, but there is no place for such travesties in an Orthodox church! Whoever painted these images has NO idea of what iconography is. Where is the gravitas, stillness, dignity, reverence and spiritual power that good and proper icons possess and proclaim? What a crying shame that a beautiful iconostasis, made by skilled hands, has been spoiled by these artistic flights of fancy. Shameful.
My first thought when I saw the icons on the iconostasis was "Night of the Living Dead".  They all look like zombies, absolutely hideous to behold.  If icons reflect the spiritual state of the iconographer, this work does not reflect well on the one who panted them.