• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Strange icons

Levsky

Reaction score
I have an odd looking icon of St. Alexis the Man of God, which I received as a child from my godmother. In traditional icons, he is portrayed in a similar manner to St. John the Baptist and wearing a beggar's robe. Mine looks more like a monk with one hand raised in blessing.

I think the reason why the iconographer wrote him this way was because she didn't have any copies to work from. So, she used the description found in various manuals and improvised.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
The Wise Thief icons aren't strange, but I had never seen one of Adam before the gates of Eden.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
The Wise Thief icons aren't strange, but I had never seen one of Adam before the gates of Eden.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
^Hmmm, I have seen the last one of the angel expelling Adam and Eve.  The first two, I wouldn't say they are the same subject.  None of those three are strange.  The work on the second one is folksy.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Saints that have built churches are sometimes depicted holding up a church.

This one of St. Denys of Paris, during a bishop's consecration of the "Orthodox Church of France", has him holding the entirety of France.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
The French Church is still alive? Did they go vagante?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Alpo said:
The French Church is still alive? Did they go vagante?
Mais oui.
That figures.

Their "icon" of St Denis isn't strange, it's schlock. It speaks of the glory of France as greater than the worth of the saint. Very, very worldly.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Amatorus said:
wainscottbl said:
Look left. My present avatar. Google Lenin icons, etc. The avatar is not serious BTW. Take it for what it is though, especially in relation to this thread. It also shows the competition view of Russians in the matter, even among the right.
Even the Communist Party is pious:

If I had to guess, I would say that's a Victory Day celebration and not a Communist Party event.  note the Orthodox Priest.  On Victory Day, they fly modified Soviet flags that look like that in commemoration of the defeat of Nazi Germany.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
mike said:
wgw said:
not a Communist Party event.  note the Orthodox Priest. 
You do not know much about Russian communists, or priests for that matter.
Who qualifies?
I'd like to talk with them as I've questions.
http://publicorthodoxy.org/2016/02/11/the-great-and-holy-council-and-the-ukrainian-problem/

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Mor Ephrem said:
Where are those from?  And who are the two saints in the first image?
Ascension church in Belgrade.

On the left the rector of parish in Veljunj, fr. Branko Dobrosavljević, killed by Catholic Croats in 1941.
On the right hegumen Rafailo of Šišatovci monastery, killed by Catholic Croats in 1941. He has studied arts and painted a lot of iconostases.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Dominika said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Where are those from?  And who are the two saints in the first image?
Ascension church in Belgrade.

On the left the rector of parish in Veljunj, fr. Branko Dobrosavljević, killed by Catholic Croats in 1941.
On the right hegumen Rafailo of Šišatovci monastery, killed by Catholic Croats in 1941. He has studied arts and painted a lot of iconostases.
May their prayers be with us.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
HaydenTE said:
Not strange, but schlock. Self-expression trumps basic theology, a theology common to both Orthodox and Roman Catholics.

"The pine tree is the way, the truth and the life" is what this painting is saying.

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
LBK said:
HaydenTE said:
Not strange, but schlock. Self-expression trumps basic theology, a theology common to both Orthodox and Roman Catholics.

"The pine tree is the way, the truth and the life" is what this painting is saying.
I figured as much. I just wanted to check that it wasn't some 'rare,' but legitimate, icon I had never seen before.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
HaydenTE said:
I figured as much. I just wanted to check that it wasn't some 'rare,' but legitimate, icon I had never seen before.
It was painted by a Roman Catholic artist for a Roman Catholic church called Our Lady of the Pines.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LBK said:
HaydenTE said:

How do you know it's a painting and not an icon?
I don't know icon-stuff and am wondering.
TIA

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
LenInSebastopol said:
LBK said:
HaydenTE said:

TIA
Not every religious work painted in the distinctive abstracted styles associated with iconography is an icon. The "Schlock Icons" thread is full of "icons" which are anything but.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LBK said:
LenInSebastopol said:
LBK said:
HaydenTE said:

TIA
Not every religious work painted in the distinctive abstracted styles associated with iconography is an icon. The "Schlock Icons" thread is full of "icons" which are anything but.
Oh, OK, I suppose I will schlep over to the Schlock Icon thread, but probably not. Thanks?
This place is strange enough!

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
LenInSebastopol said:
LBK said:
LenInSebastopol said:
LBK said:
HaydenTE said:

TIA
Oh, OK, I suppose I will schlep over to the Schlock Icon thread, but probably not. Thanks?
This place is strange enough!
I recommend you do check out that thread, it's quite informative.

You're also welcome to email me, my address is in my profile.  :)

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This one is rather not so strange, however I've never seen Christ-Lamb surrounded by Holy Fathers in a fresco.

And the second one - it's like Great Entrance

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
This one is rather not so strange, however I've never seen Christ-Lamb surrounded by Holy Fathers in a fresco.

It's reasonably common, usually painted painted in the apse below the icon of the Mother of God above the altar.

And the second one - it's like Great Entrance
This is quite common, and indeed represents the Great Entrance. It represents the heavenly Liturgy, where the angels ceaselessly praise and serve God. A very appropriate place to paint it is in the lower part of the central dome, facing the altar.

However, this version shows one of the angels vested as a priest, which is problematic. The conventional versions show the angels, some or all vested as deacons, in procession, without Christ present. When this is painted in the dome facing the altar, it beautifully expresses the presence of the angels who invisibly serve at the earthly liturgy, facing the altar representing the heavenly throne and the presence of God.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Dominika said:
I always get a kick out of what is considered strange and what is not-so-strange.  A woman and her child holding a miniature tree with a bunch of similar trees behind them is strange.  A baby in a large goblet surrounded by old men ready to sacrifice him is not-so-strange.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
More like a large toddler.  That chalice is bigger than an MP chalice.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
I always get a kick out of what is considered strange and what is not-so-strange.  A woman and her child holding a miniature tree with a bunch of similar trees behind them is strange.  A baby in a large goblet surrounded by old men ready to sacrifice him is not-so-strange.
The motif of the infant Christ in a chalice is iconographic imagery which is acceptable. The Virgin and Child pointing to the pine tree of salvation is clearly not.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
LBK said:
The motif of the infant Christ in a chalice is iconographic imagery which is acceptable.
What makes it acceptable?
For starters, have a look at the priestly prayers during the Divine Liturgy.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
LBK said:
PeterTheAleut said:
LBK said:
The motif of the infant Christ in a chalice is iconographic imagery which is acceptable.
What makes it acceptable?
For starters, have a look at the priestly prayers during the Divine Liturgy.
What do the priestly prayers say?
Here's a link to the text of the DL, which includes the prayers.

http://www.goarch.org/chapel/liturgical_texts/liturgy_hchc

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Mor Ephrem said:
Dominika said:
:D "Christ-Lamb" - I've seen a lot of such icons, that's the reason is not "so strange" for me. But I put this version here, as Christ-Lamb surronded in the way you perfectly described, is strange.

Edit, another strange icon, I can't find a better solution :/
Икона Божией Матери Клирикальная (Theotokos of kliros)

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
It shows the Mother of God as patron of church choirs and directors, with Sts John of Damascus and Romanus the Melodist standing on either side of her. Rather appropriate for these two saints to be there, as both wrote many hymns dedicated to the Mother of God, as well as her playing a very significant part in their lives.

I first saw this icon several years ago, and I rather liked it.  :)

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
^^Ah, an icon that LBK hasn't disapproved! :)

And what's about this one:

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
^^Ah, an icon that LBK hasn't disapproved! :)
Oh, I've spoken well about quite a few on this thread.  :)

And what's about this one:
This one was posted some time ago, either in this thread, or in the Schlock Icons thread. I'll see if I can find the posts.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
LBK said:
Dominika said:
It shows the Mother of God as patron of church choirs and directors, with Sts John of Damascus and Romanus the Melodist standing on either side of her. Rather appropriate for these two saints to be there, as both wrote many hymns dedicated to the Mother of God, as well as her playing a very significant part in their lives.

I first saw this icon several years ago, and I rather liked it.  :)
And the Protection of the Mother of God shares a Feast Day with the Venerable Romanus the Melodist.