Strange icons

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
With zero disrespect (or at least none more than then She is suffering in this icon already)

may I suggest she appears to be sneaking Our Lord into the cinema, under her overly large cloak?

"Our Lady of the one ticket-two entries", comes to mind.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
The Matrioshka doll "icon". It's the equivalent of the equally uncanonical Paternity. It has the added bonus of the mother of St Anna standing behind her daughter. Most versions I've seen of this schlock omit her.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Have a version of this in my house. They have brought much consolation to the people around me.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
This is either a segment from the icon of All Saints, or of the Last Judgement. The inscription on the right reads [All] the saints entering Paradise. Some of the saints are easily identifiable, including Apostles Peter and Paul, and Cyril of Alexandria. The seraph guarding the entrance to Paradise has raised his swords to allow their passage.

Paradise is represented by the walled garden (a place of light, a place of green pasture, a place of refreshment, whence pain, grief and sighing have fled away, as funeral and memorial hymns say), in which can be seen Abraham with the souls of the righteous in his bosom, the crucified thief who confessed Christ, and the Mother of God.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Antonis said:
Have a version of this in my house. They have brought much consolation to the people around me.
Bad theology is bad theology, no matter how you slice it.  :p

Anna.T

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
LBK said:
Mor Ephrem said:
The Matrioshka doll "icon". It's the equivalent of the equally uncanonical Paternity. It has the added bonus of the mother of St Anna standing behind her daughter. Most versions I've seen of this schlock omit her.
Does that mean that the icons that show St. Anna, the Theotokos, and Christ in a similar manner are bad icons?

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Is the woman all the way up top supposed to be St. Anna's mother? What is her name?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
kelly said:
Is the woman all the way up top supposed to be St. Anna's mother? What is her name?
Yes, that woman is supposed to be St Anna's mother. The inscription reads "St Maria, Foremother (grandmother) of the Mother of God".

What needs to be remembered is that any reference to the mother of St Anna is practically absent in Orthodox tradition, and there is nothing I have found in sources that she is indeed a saint. No feast date, nothing.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
I'll add the following about that image: Just as the uncanonical Paternity image paints a false Trinitarian theology, in not only showing God the Father in a form which He has never been revealed, but speaking of an inequality of the three Persons, the Maternity image expresses the quasi-trinitarian idea of a "Mother, Daughter, Holy Grand-daughter".

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Okay, I thought my Google-fu was broken because I wasn't finding any reference to her either.

I find the fact that they just made up a name for her to be stranger than depicting her.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
kelly said:
Okay, I thought my Google-fu was broken because I wasn't finding any reference to her either.

I find the fact that they just made up a name for her to be stranger than depicting her.

if in doubt....all females are Mary...all males are Joseph

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
From an image search:

http://www.macdougallauction.com/Indexx1211.asp?id=524&lx=a

*524.  A RARE ICON OF "THE PURE SOUL"  

NORTHERN RUSSIA, END OF THE 17TH TO BEGINNING OF THE 18TH CENTURY

Allegorical depictions of Pure and Sinful Souls are known in Russian art from the latter half of the 16th century, often in illustrated manuscripts commemorating the dead (necrologies). Judging from the unusual white background, the artist replicated a miniature from a book.

The Pure Soul is depicted on the left as the Virgin in real attire and wearing a crown adorned with flowers. To her right is a lion (anger), a serpent (sin) and on the right, squatting naked in a cave, is the devil, symbolising the sinful soul. Christ enthroned in heaven above, awaits the worship of the Pure Soul and Guardian Angel. At the centre is the Sun with a human face and the border texts explain what is depicted.

In the 18th-19th centuries, edifying works about the Pure and Sinful Soul were in demand amongst Old Believers, both icons and printed sheets incorporated texts from either a necrology or the Blessed Monk Dorotheus's Thirty Great and Original Virtues, which formed part of the Tsvetnik (Flower-bed), a book widely popular with Old Believers. It is in the latter where the deep meaning of this edifying subject finds its fullest expression: “Human purity attaches man to God, and the purity of God dwells in man” (Tsvetnik of the Blessed Monk Dorotheus, Grodno, 1790, p. 187).

An important distinction of this icon is that the detailed border inscriptions bear no relation to either literary sources. Addressing the viewer — an extremely rare feature in an icon — the lower border reads: “See, O man, the parable of life painted here: if thou wilt ascend to the heavenly kingdom, then preserve thy purity of soul, otherwise thou shalt suffer eternal torment”.

Given the rarity of the subject and the detailed, original text, this icon is of considerable interest and belongs to a particular edifying type of Old Believer icon painting.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Antonis said:
From an image search:

http://www.macdougallauction.com/Indexx1211.asp?id=524&lx=a

*524.  A RARE ICON OF "THE PURE SOUL"  

NORTHERN RUSSIA, END OF THE 17TH TO BEGINNING OF THE 18TH CENTURY

Allegorical depictions of Pure and Sinful Souls are known in Russian art from the latter half of the 16th century, often in illustrated manuscripts commemorating the dead (necrologies). Judging from the unusual white background, the artist replicated a miniature from a book.

The Pure Soul is depicted on the left as the Virgin in real attire and wearing a crown adorned with flowers. To her right is a lion (anger), a serpent (sin) and on the right, squatting naked in a cave, is the devil, symbolising the sinful soul. Christ enthroned in heaven above, awaits the worship of the Pure Soul and Guardian Angel. At the centre is the Sun with a human face and the border texts explain what is depicted.

In the 18th-19th centuries, edifying works about the Pure and Sinful Soul were in demand amongst Old Believers, both icons and printed sheets incorporated texts from either a necrology or the Blessed Monk Dorotheus's Thirty Great and Original Virtues, which formed part of the Tsvetnik (Flower-bed), a book widely popular with Old Believers. It is in the latter where the deep meaning of this edifying subject finds its fullest expression: “Human purity attaches man to God, and the purity of God dwells in man” (Tsvetnik of the Blessed Monk Dorotheus, Grodno, 1790, p. 187).

An important distinction of this icon is that the detailed border inscriptions bear no relation to either literary sources. Addressing the viewer — an extremely rare feature in an icon — the lower border reads: “See, O man, the parable of life painted here: if thou wilt ascend to the heavenly kingdom, then preserve thy purity of soul, otherwise thou shalt suffer eternal torment”.

Given the rarity of the subject and the detailed, original text, this icon is of considerable interest and belongs to a particular edifying type of Old Believer icon painting.
Thank you, Antonis.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Maria said:
Antonis said:
Mor Ephrem said:
It is beautiful.

If you have any concerns, ask your priest. Ignore LBK.
Funny you say that, I received it from our presbytera.  ;)