Strange icons

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,434
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
19
Dominika said:
The icon on the left
My my, those are beautiful! Where are they from? And what's so strange about the one on the left? It's your average nativity.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,475
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
HaydenTE said:
My my, those are beautiful! Where are they from? And what's so strange about the one on the left? It's your average nativity.
Pirot (Serbia), XVIII century.
Some elements like the general construction of the cave, the trees in its frame, the lines in it being-don't-know-what and a kind of starts in it, little Christ being on a carpet (?) and so on.
It's like a mix of Western (Austrian) and Bulgarian influence.
 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,434
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
19
Dominika said:
HaydenTE said:
My my, those are beautiful! Where are they from? And what's so strange about the one on the left? It's your average nativity.
Pirot (Serbia), XVIII century.
Some elements like the general construction of the cave, the trees in its frame, the lines in it being-don't-know-what and a kind of starts in it, little Christ being on a carpet (?) and so on.
It's like a mix of Western (Austrian) and Bulgarian influence.
Interesting, I like them!
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,475
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
HaydenTE said:

The Hand of God(?)
I've seen it in Serbia, maybe in other places too. I have even a pic from Serbia of such fresco, and it's written "The souls of righteous [people] in God's hand".


Two a bit less common icons of st. Petka (Paraskeva):

 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,485
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
HaydenTE said:
Dominika said:
HaydenTE said:
mike said:
Dominika said:
One more:
What's strange about that?
The naturalistic background. I actually really like it. Normally that's sort of realism is only in Russian icons but this one is Greek, I think.
Exactly, that's what I meant.
Some people aren't used to that. It's only common in Russia and then only with State Church icons. Most other traditions rarely deviate from a gold leaf or dark blue background.
Actually icons of this sort are common from Cretan school, which tended to blend Byzantine and Italian renaissance styles. Here is another example:



 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Iconodule said:
HaydenTE said:
Dominika said:
HaydenTE said:
mike said:
Dominika said:
One more:
What's strange about that?
The naturalistic background. I actually really like it. Normally that's sort of realism is only in Russian icons but this one is Greek, I think.
Exactly, that's what I meant.
Some people aren't used to that. It's only common in Russia and then only with State Church icons. Most other traditions rarely deviate from a gold leaf or dark blue background.
Actually icons of this sort are common from Cretan school, which tended to blend Byzantine and Italian renaissance styles.
What I said a dozen posts ago:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19963.msg1389499.html#msg1389499

;)
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,475
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Iconodule said:
HaydenTE said:
Dominika said:
HaydenTE said:
mike said:
Dominika said:
One more:
What's strange about that?
The naturalistic background. I actually really like it. Normally that's sort of realism is only in Russian icons but this one is Greek, I think.
Exactly, that's what I meant.
Some people aren't used to that. It's only common in Russia and then only with State Church icons. Most other traditions rarely deviate from a gold leaf or dark blue background.
Actually icons of this sort are common from Cretan school, which tended to blend Byzantine and Italian renaissance styles. Here is another example:

I've seen somewhere similar one. Very nice.
 

immerlein

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2016
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Dominika said:
HaydenTE said:

The Hand of God(?)
I've seen it in Serbia, maybe in other places too. I have even a pic from Serbia of such fresco, and it's written "The souls of righteous [people] in God's hand".


Two a bit less common icons of st. Petka (Paraskeva):

Does anyone have any more details about these ones of St. Paraskeva? I've not seen ones like that of her before.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,475
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
The first one is just an analogy to her name: Petka/Parasceva meaning Friday. Romanian example:

The second one I just know it's from Serbia, and I think it's similar depiction to this one:
 

immerlein

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2016
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Dominika said:
The first one is just an analogy to her name: Petka/Parasceva meaning Friday. Romanian example:

The second one I just know it's from Serbia, and I think it's similar depiction to this one:
Thank you! :) Very interesting!
 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,434
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
19


I think it's located somewhere in Turkey.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,475
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
^^ ancient Christ of ancient days :D


It's a piece of something bigger (don't know of what):
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
34
Dominika said:
^^ ancient Christ of ancient days :D


It's a piece of something bigger (don't know of what):
Is that like the Orthodox version of this?

 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Dominika said:
Sorry, if it has been already posted.
The artist who painted this has produced plenty of good icons, both painted and mosaic, when he behaves himself. Which isn't always. The Crucifixion Dominika posted is an artistic self-expression rather than a proper icon.

But he's painted much worse, like this:



It likely was not painted as an icon per se, but it's sure creeeeepy.  :eek: :p
 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,434
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
19
LBK said:
Dominika said:
Sorry, if it has been already posted.
The artist who painted this has produced plenty of good icons, both painted and mosaic, when he behaves himself. Which isn't always. The Crucifixion Dominika posted is an artistic self-expression rather than a proper icon.

But he's painted much worse, like this:



It likely was not painted as an icon per se, but it's sure creeeeepy.  :eek: :p
It's like God is shooting everyone with laser beams. I must have missed that chapter of Revelations.  :laugh:
 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,434
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
19
I bought this deesis at the estate sale of an RC priest, because I feared the three panels would be split up. However, I'm not sure they're proper to venerate. The lack of IC XC and MP OY and the uncommon inscription, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Abide in my love." Also I'm not sure what hand gesture Christ is making. It's not the usual blessing.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
HaydenTE said:
I bought this deesis at the estate sale of an RC priest, because I feared the three panels would be split up. However, I'm not sure they're proper to venerate. The lack of IC XC and MP OY and the uncommon inscription, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Abide in my love." Also I'm not sure what hand gesture Christ is making. It's not the usual blessing.
The absence of the proper inscriptions for all three figures is indeed a major problem, particularly the dogmatic ones of IC-XC and MP-OY. The Gospel passage is less of a worry, as there have long been various passages used when Christ is holding an open Gospel book. His hand gesture is rather hard to see properly because the hand is so small, but as far as I can determine, it doesn't follow the usual arrangements seen in iconography. Christ is sitting on His mandorla, rather than on His throne, or on a veil-like cloth such as that seen in most icons of the Ascension.

The whole work looks incomplete, and just lacking in so much. Pity.
 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,434
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
19
LBK said:
HaydenTE said:
I bought this deesis at the estate sale of an RC priest, because I feared the three panels would be split up. However, I'm not sure they're proper to venerate. The lack of IC XC and MP OY and the uncommon inscription, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Abide in my love." Also I'm not sure what hand gesture Christ is making. It's not the usual blessing.
The absence of the proper inscriptions for all three figures is indeed a major problem, particularly the dogmatic ones of IC-XC and MP-OY. The Gospel passage is less of a worry, as there have long been various passages used when Christ is holding an open Gospel book. His hand gesture is rather hard to see properly because the hand is so small, but as far as I can determine, it doesn't follow the usual arrangements seen in iconography. Christ is sitting on His mandorla, rather than on His throne, or on a veil-like cloth such as that seen in most icons of the Ascension.

The whole work looks incomplete, and just lacking in so much. Pity.
So it is improper to venerate, then?
 

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Joined
Mar 25, 2013
Messages
3,596
Reaction score
0
Points
0
LBK said:
HaydenTE said:
I bought this deesis at the estate sale of an RC priest, because I feared the three panels would be split up. However, I'm not sure they're proper to venerate. The lack of IC XC and MP OY and the uncommon inscription, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Abide in my love." Also I'm not sure what hand gesture Christ is making. It's not the usual blessing.
The absence of the proper inscriptions for all three figures is indeed a major problem, particularly the dogmatic ones of IC-XC and MP-OY. The Gospel passage is less of a worry, as there have long been various passages used when Christ is holding an open Gospel book. His hand gesture is rather hard to see properly because the hand is so small, but as far as I can determine, it doesn't follow the usual arrangements seen in iconography. Christ is sitting on His mandorla, rather than on His throne, or on a veil-like cloth such as that seen in most icons of the Ascension.
The whole work looks incomplete, and just lacking in so much. Pity.
If it is incomplete, then another may finish it, yes?
As in put the proper lettering, no?
Would that be it to make it Orthodox? Or just not a certain type of Orthodox?
I read recently of a big fight over how the hand is held for a blessing. Around mid 19th century some silly men had a big kerfuffle over such.
I know I am stupid in such things and from what I read I am not the only one that is such.
So what would it take to please an Orthodox person to completion?
 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,434
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
19
LenInSebastopol said:
LBK said:
HaydenTE said:
I bought this deesis at the estate sale of an RC priest, because I feared the three panels would be split up. However, I'm not sure they're proper to venerate. The lack of IC XC and MP OY and the uncommon inscription, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Abide in my love." Also I'm not sure what hand gesture Christ is making. It's not the usual blessing.
The absence of the proper inscriptions for all three figures is indeed a major problem, particularly the dogmatic ones of IC-XC and MP-OY. The Gospel passage is less of a worry, as there have long been various passages used when Christ is holding an open Gospel book. His hand gesture is rather hard to see properly because the hand is so small, but as far as I can determine, it doesn't follow the usual arrangements seen in iconography. Christ is sitting on His mandorla, rather than on His throne, or on a veil-like cloth such as that seen in most icons of the Ascension.
The whole work looks incomplete, and just lacking in so much. Pity.
If it is incomplete, then another may finish it, yes?
As in put the proper lettering, no?
Would that be it to make it Orthodox? Or just not a certain type of Orthodox?
I read recently of a big fight over how the hand is held for a blessing. Around mid 19th century some silly men had a big kerfuffle over such.
I know I am stupid in such things and from what I read I am not the only one that is such.
So what would it take to please an Orthodox person to completion?
The panels themselves are not hand painted, they are some sort of mounted print.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,475
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
HaydenTE said:
LBK said:
But he's painted much worse, like this:



It likely was not painted as an icon per se, but it's sure creeeeepy.  :eek: :p
It's like God is shooting everyone with laser beams.
Exactly. I don't know to what doctrine/ Bible passage the author refers to...


Three more (maybe the 2nd one is schlock?...):




Guardian Angel
 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,434
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
19
I like the third one, the other two are just bleh.
 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,434
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
19
An odd Annunciation. I know some traditions state that the Theotokos heard the news at a well, but would be acceptable for icons to accept that and depict the subject as such?
 

SaintGermain

Newbie
Joined
Apr 6, 2016
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello, I  am not assured to post in the right topic, but I don't find an other for my request, so sorry if I do it wrong. I receive a russian icon with the Theotokos, but I can't success to recognize the two saints at Her two sides, can you help me please ? (I was thinking of Saint John of Kronstdat for the one in right, or maybe Cyril and Methodus ?) It's photographed with an old device, so it's quite difficult to make the small writtings clear, like that appears on the picture. If it's too difficult to recognize them, I can make an other capture, this one just focus on the scriptures, so say me ! :)

http://i.imgur.com/7fWIZUy.jpg
 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,434
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
19
SaintGermain said:
Hello, I  am not assured to post in the right topic, but I don't find an other for my request, so sorry if I do it wrong. I receive a russian icon with the Theotokos, but I can't success to recognize the two saints at Her two sides, can you help me please ? (I was thinking of Saint John of Kronstdat for the one in right, or maybe Cyril and Methodus ?) It's photographed with an old device, so it's quite difficult to make the small writtings clear, like that appears on the picture. If it's too difficult to recognize them, I can make an other capture, this one just focus on the scriptures, so say me ! :)

http://i.imgur.com/7fWIZUy.jpg
The one on the right is definitely Saint Seraphim of Sarov, and the figure on the left is likely Saint Nicholas.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,475
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
SaintGermain said:
Hello, I  am not assured to post in the right topic, but I don't find an other for my request, so sorry if I do it wrong. I receive a russian icon with the Theotokos, but I can't success to recognize the two saints at Her two sides, can you help me please ? (I was thinking of Saint John of Kronstdat for the one in right, or maybe Cyril and Methodus ?) It's photographed with an old device, so it's quite difficult to make the small writtings clear, like that appears on the picture. If it's too difficult to recognize them, I can make an other capture, this one just focus on the scriptures, so say me ! :)

http://i.imgur.com/7fWIZUy.jpg
The icon is not strange at all, it's just very Westernised (but it's not uncommon, especially in some Eastern Slavic circles). Ah, the icon of the Theokos is "Iverion", so its origin is Athonite (and, actually, more deeply, Georgian).

HaydenTE said:
The one on the right is definitely Saint Seraphim of Sarov, and the figure on the left is likely Saint Nicholas.
I would say so.
 
Top