• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Strange icons

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
LBK said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Dominika said:
I like it.
Sentimentality seems to trump theology as far as your taste goes.  :p
"Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little."

Anyway, what's wrong with the image? 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
LBK said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Dominika said:
I like it.
Sentimentality seems to trump theology as far as your taste goes.  :p
"Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little."

Anyway, what's wrong with the image?
Give her a break. She's only just decided she doesn't like it. She will invent some appropriate canons later.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Well everyone knows ancient nails were square shaped and not round!

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
I heard of a catholic image of 5he transfiguration where he has nail holes because the composer saw it as reflecting his glorified state with the Passion.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
DeniseDenise said:
Well everyone knows ancient nails were square shaped and not round!
I did't mean the shape, but the way it looks (it's a slight difference) ;)

Judas receiving 30 silver coins

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
What does the phrase in the first one say? The saints of... I can't read the rest. :)

sestir

Elder
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
biro said:
What does the phrase in the first one say? The saints of... I can't read the rest. :)
Probably:
Οι αγιοι της Νησου Λευκαδος
The saints of the Island of Lefkada

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
That's the St. Francis of Assisi icon, right?

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Mighty dangerous, Mor!
The source has troublesome stuff written
"The portrait of St. Francis of Assisi indicates that the theological disagreements between the Patriarch of Constantinople and the Pope did not necessarily prevent a peaceful coexistence of Orthodox and Catholic communities at a local level..."

Thanks for living on the edge, as all else takes up to much room!
:eek:

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Since I can't see facebook where I am, would you mind telling where/ when this fresco was painted? Thanks.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Since I can't see facebook where I am, would you mind telling where/ when this fresco was painted? Thanks.
From the description:

The church was built in the XIIIth century and in the following century it was decorated at the expense of a local wealthy man. Its three altars are dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin Mary (central), St. Anne (left) and St. Anthony the Great (right). The donor was portrayed with his wife and their daughter on the wall near a side entrance; they wear their best clothes. The donor was probably an elder of the village whom the Venetians integrated into their aristocratic government system.
The portrait of St. Francis of Assisi indicates that the theological disagreements between the Patriarch of Constantinople and the Pope did not necessarily prevent a peaceful coexistence of Orthodox and Catholic communities at a local level and their common veneration of a saint who called all creatures his brothers and sisters...

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Interesting. Some further digging using the text you provided tells me the church is in Crete.

I wonder how common it was at the time for Orthodox churches to have more than one altar.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Volnutt said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:
From the description:

The donor was portrayed with his wife and their daughter on the wall near a side entrance; they wear their best clothes.
Greeks...
Indians...
I'm not sure what relevance that has to my comment (which you likely misunderstood), but a) that's not my jurisdiction and b) I've been making fun of that stuff for years.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Volnutt said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:
From the description:

The donor was portrayed with his wife and their daughter on the wall near a side entrance; they wear their best clothes.
Greeks...
Indians...
I'm not sure what relevance that has to my comment (which you likely misunderstood), but a) that's not my jurisdiction and b) I've been making fun of that stuff for years.
All I'm saying is that commending laypeople in the sanctuary for their service is not something restricted to the Greeks.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Volnutt said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Volnutt said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:
From the description:

Greeks...
Indians...
All I'm saying is that commending laypeople in the sanctuary for their service is not something restricted to the Greeks.
...it was an inside joke between Antonis and me, not an invitation to begin another social justice crusade.  I don't fault you for not knowing that, but try not to let things get to you so easily.   

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Volnutt said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Volnutt said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:
From the description:

Greeks...
Indians...
...it was an inside joke between Antonis and me, not an invitation to begin another social justice crusade.  I don't fault you for not knowing that, but try not to let things get to you so easily. 
I wasn't trying to start one. I just think your "I'm such a detached cynic" snark posts are a bit hypocritical at times and I felt like saying so.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
St. Joseph of Petrograd stepping on Patriarch Sergius... I think ROCOR was kinda angry.

IIRC that one was covered in the Schlock Icons thread.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LBK said:
RaphaCam said:
St. Joseph of Petrograd stepping on Patriarch Sergius... I think ROCOR was kinda angry.

IIRC that one was covered in the Schlock Icons thread.
Yeah, intolerance boarding on hatred.
And we decry the "religion of peace"?
Christ made the blind see, can we do something with that notion?